Reapplicant Med Schools 30 & 3.7

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wingedwanderess

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I made the mistake last year of applying late (Sept-Oct) and was waitlisted at Drexel, NJMS, and RWJ. I'm applying on the first possible day this time around and was trying to compile a new list of med schools to apply to with my stats. MCAT 30 GPA 3.7 Science GPA ~3.5. I'm a NJ resident.

Here is the list of schools I'm planning on applying to:

Albany Medical College - Albany, NY
Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva U - Bronx, NY
Boston U SOM - Boston, MA
Cooper Medical School of Rowan U - Camden, NJ
Drexel U COM - Philadelphia, PA
Eastern Virginia Medical School - Norfolk, VA
George Washington U SOM and Health Sciences - Washington, DC
Georgetown U SOM - Washington, DC
Hofstra North Shore - LIJ SOM - Hempstead, NY
Jefferson Medical College of Thomas Jefferson U - Philadelphia, PA
New York Medical College - Valhalla, NY
PA State U COM - Hershey, PA
Stony Brook U SOM - Stony Brook, NY
Temple U SOM - Philadelphia, PA
The Commonwealth Medical College - Scranton, PA
The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown U - Providence, RI
Tufts U SOM - Boston, MA
UMDNJ - NJMS - Newark, NJ
UMDNJ - RWJ - Piscataway, NJ
U of Rochester SOM and Dentistry - Rochester, NY
VA Commonwealth U SOM - Richmond, VA
University of Maryland School of Medicine - Baltimore, MD

I was hoping to cut down the list by like 5, and I have a feeling that with my average stats I'd just be wasting money applying to some of these schools but couldn't figure out which ones (and I used MSAR online)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should remove The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University. Just a thought. I'm in the same boat as you, so hopefully it all works out.

I would take out Boston U or George Washington because they get a lot of applications each year. I would also take out Commonwealth (Scranton, PA) because they are looking for applicants that will stay as physicians in the medical school's area.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay thank you so much for your suggestions!
Are there any medical schools that I should perhaps add to the list after removing those? I don't think I overlooked any that would be reasonable for my stats

Hrmm man me and you are in the same boat. We both have the same stats lol. I either plan on applying early this cycle of next. Want to check out my thread?

I'll go try and find a list of OOS friendly med schools I made a while back too. If you wanna talk more we can do it in PM's

I made the mistake last year of applying late (Sept-Oct) and was waitlisted at Drexel, NJMS, and RWJ. I'm applying on the first possible day this time around and was trying to compile a new list of med schools to apply to with my stats. MCAT 30 GPA 3.7 Science GPA ~3.5. I'm a NJ resident.

Here is the list of schools I'm planning on applying to:

Albany Medical College - Albany, NY
Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva U - Bronx, NY
Boston U SOM - Boston, MA
Cooper Medical School of Rowan U - Camden, NJ
Drexel U COM - Philadelphia, PA
Eastern Virginia Medical School - Norfolk, VA
George Washington U SOM and Health Sciences - Washington, DC
Georgetown U SOM - Washington, DC
Hofstra North Shore - LIJ SOM - Hempstead, NY
Jefferson Medical College of Thomas Jefferson U - Philadelphia, PA
New York Medical College - Valhalla, NY
PA State U COM - Hershey, PA
Stony Brook U SOM - Stony Brook, NY
Temple U SOM - Philadelphia, PA
The Commonwealth Medical College - Scranton, PA
The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown U - Providence, RI
Tufts U SOM - Boston, MA
UMDNJ - NJMS - Newark, NJ
UMDNJ - RWJ - Piscataway, NJ
U of Rochester SOM and Dentistry - Rochester, NY
VA Commonwealth U SOM - Richmond, VA
University of Maryland School of Medicine - Baltimore, MD

I was hoping to cut down the list by like 5, and I have a feeling that with my average stats I'd just be wasting money applying to some of these schools but couldn't figure out which ones (and I used MSAR online)

Thanks!

Lists looks pretty solid to me, I think you have a great chance at landing an acceptance if you apply early. Some schools to think about taking off:

Because there stats are high or get a ridiculous # of apps: Tufts, Brown, Georgetown, GW, BU.

However, if your heart is set on any of these, I would keep them in the pile just so you have no regrets.