Reapplicant school list help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

_NM_

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to medical school again this cycle (I last applied two years ago) and need help with my school list. I found out that some schools don't like reapplicants so I want to make sure my list looks ok.

I'm a female, asian/white CA resident

Old MCAT: 31 (12/8/11)
New MCAT: 516 (127/128/130/131)
GPA: 3.8

ECs:
- President of two clubs in college and on executive board of two other clubs
- Teaching assistant for 3 courses
- Peer tutor
- 2 publications (one was second author)
- Won the departmental scholarship for research
- Research assistant since 2013
- I've been volunteering at hospitals since for 8 years
- Over 100 hours of shadowing doctors
- Big Brothers Big Sister volunteer / elementary school tutor for underprivileged kids for 7 years
- During my gap year, I've been working as a research assistant at a university in CA doing research.

School list:
- Albert Einstein
- Keck
- Mayo
- Davis
- Irvine
- UCLA
- Baylor
- Colorado
- Miami
- UCSD
- UCSF (dream school)
- OHSU
- Rutgers
- Thomas Jefferson
- Hofstra
- Temple
- Tulane

I tried to apply to as many research oriented schools as possible since I'm interested in continuing that, but I'm looking to add a few more schools where I'll have a good chance of getting in (I'm sure that I can find a way to do research even if it's not the main focus). Any advice is much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Delete Rutgers, they rarely consider OOS.
Brown mostly matriculates from special programs.
Add Hofstra, Rochester, BU, NW and such.

Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Gotta apply more broadly. You shot for almost all top 25 to top 50 schools. Add a bunch of mid tier schools, especially on the east coast.

Jefferson, rish, Wayne state, loyola, new York medical college, drexel, temple, etc should all be on your list

Reactions: 1 user
Gotta apply more broadly. You shot for almost all top 25 to top 50 schools. Add a bunch of mid tier schools, especially on the east coast.

Jefferson, rish, Wayne state, loyola, new York medical college, drexel, temple, etc should all be on your list
Yeah I was thinking about NYMC and Tulane but I don't think I'll have time to study for the CASPer. I will add Drexel to my list though. Thanks!

Last edited:
Yeah I was thinking about NYMC and Temple but I don't think I'll have time to study for the CASPer. I will add Drexel to my list though. Thanks!
What's the casper?

do you have to pay for it?! if so that's totally 100% a scam (as the whole process is anyways)

Yes you have to pay for it :(
I think some schools justify it by saying that it helps with interview prep, but I don't know who could afford to study for another standardized exam!

It's this new test about ethics/morals that some schools either require (like NYMC) or "strongly recommend" (like Tulane). https://takecasper.com/aboutcasper/

Wait, do you have to take and pass CASPer before you can be considered for acceptance by the schools that require it? If so, when should it be taken? Will CASPer timing affect app completion date?

Wait, do you have to take and pass CASPer before you can be considered for acceptance by the schools that require it? If so, when should it be taken? Will CASPer timing affect app completion date?
I'm not sure. I think it depends on the school. I'm pretty sure that your app at NYMC is incomplete until you take The CASPer but at Tulane, it's not required but is "strongly recommended"

I'm not sure. I think it depends on the school. I'm pretty sure that your app at NYMC is incomplete until you take The CASPer but at Tulane, it's not required but is "strongly recommended"

Oh wow I didn't know this. Where do applicants take the CASPer exam?

Oh wow I didn't know this. Where do applicants take the CASPer exam?
I know it's online but I'm not sure if you have to go to a test center. I think all the information is on the Casper website

Members don't see this ad :)
From experience, CASPer is not something you can study for. It is just general ethical questions, like "what would you say to a friend in scenario x." It is timed, so it really is whatever your gut-reaction is.

Reactions: 1 users
Of your list, keep:

- Albert Einstein
- Keck
- Mayo
- Davis
- Irvine
- UCLA
- Miami
- UCSD
- UCSF
- Hofstra
- Tulane

ADD: Stanford, the Manhattan Titans, Emory, Dartmouth, Vandy, Case, BU, U AZ, Pitt, Northwestern, Harvard OR Yale OR JHU

Of your list, keep:

- Albert Einstein
- Keck
- Mayo
- Davis
- Irvine
- UCLA
- Miami
- UCSD
- UCSF
- Hofstra
- Tulane

ADD: Stanford, the Manhattan Titans, Emory, Dartmouth, Vandy, Case, BU, U AZ, Pitt, Northwestern, Harvard OR Yale OR JHU
Thank you so much! I appreciate the input!

From experience, CASPer is not something you can study for. It is just general ethical questions, like "what would you say to a friend in scenario x." It is timed, so it really is whatever your gut-reaction is.

Apparently, applicants don't get their scores back either so there's no way of knowing how they did. The school keeps the information to themselves and evaluates the applicant behind the scenes.

they will appreciate your donations. if you're already a reapplicant, throw this money at mid/lower tier schools
I know it's an SDN meme that reapps are lethal, but, like many things on SDN, it's hyperbole. I have seen a number of SDNers get into Stanford class schools upon simply repplying earlier in the following cycle, when they applied late in thier first time. A 516 core is not to be sneezed at.

It is true that at the wise gyngyn's school, reapps are DOA...but that's one school.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm applying to medical school again this cycle (I last applied two years ago) and need help with my school list. I found out that some schools don't like reapplicants so I want to make sure my list looks ok.

I'm a female, asian/white CA resident

Old MCAT: 31 (12/8/11)
New MCAT: 516 (127/128/130/131)
GPA: 3.8

ECs:
- President of two clubs in college and on executive board of two other clubs
- Teaching assistant for 3 courses
- Peer tutor
- 2 publications (one was second author)
- Won the departmental scholarship for research
- Research assistant since 2013
- I've been volunteering at hospitals since for 8 years
- Over 100 hours of shadowing doctors
- Big Brothers Big Sister volunteer / elementary school tutor for underprivileged kids for 7 years
- During my gap year, I've been working as a research assistant at a university in CA doing research.

School list:
- Albert Einstein
- Keck
- Mayo
- Davis
- Irvine
- UCLA
- Baylor
- Colorado
- Miami
- UCSD
- UCSF (dream school)
- OHSU
- Rutgers
- Thomas Jefferson
- Hofstra
- Temple
- Tulane

I tried to apply to as many research oriented schools as possible since I'm interested in continuing that, but I'm looking to add a few more schools where I'll have a good chance of getting in (I'm sure that I can find a way to do research even if it's not the main focus). Any advice is much appreciated!
You have really good stats. Do you know what went wrong last time?

You have really good stats. Do you know what went wrong last time?

So yesterday I called someone from the admissions committee at one of the schools I applied to and they said that my letters of recommendation were likely the source of the problem (I went to a huge university where getting to know professors is difficult, so this is no surprise). I'm using completely different letter writers this time (and I know all of them well) so hopefully this will not be an issue.

Last edited:
The Casper test is simple. You don't study for it and you just set aside an hour at home to do it. Just answer ethical questions that have no right or wrong answer, go with your gut. Just be able to view things from both sides and don't sound like a terrible person and you're fine. It's just one hoop amongst many that you'll be jumping through while applying and honestly, I found it to be the least nerve-wracking thing.

I know it's an SDN meme that reapps are lethal, but, like many things on SDN, it's hyperbole. I have seen a number of SDNers get into Stanford class schools upon simply repplying earlier in the following cycle, when they applied late in thier first time. A 516 core is not to be sneezed at.

It is true that at the wise gyngyn's school, reapps are DOA...but that's one school.

Hi @Goro, to which school in particular are you referring? I looked at gyngyn's profile but was unable to find the school. Thanks in advance.