nat0326

5+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2013
37
52
Status
Pre-Medical
I unfortunately just had to defer my acceptance to a DO program which I LOVED because of horrible health issues I have been going through since moving to start school. The whole situation has seriously been a disaster. I am basically bed ridden while we're trying to figure out what's wrong. I fainted in orientation so I figured this was a sign I had to put my health first and really take whatever is going on seriously. It may be from recent travel outside of the country (parasitic infection) or it may be due to the altitude (moving from NY to CO). No one can give me a 100% definitive answer as of yet (waiting on bloodwork etc.) but it seems like I might not be able to live at high altitudes for extended periods of time, which will clearly prevent me from attending school here. .... I let the school know, and clearly this was a huge disappointment for me, but I am trying to be positive and I am going reapply to other programs this cycle (basically right now so I'm not late). I'm trying to figure out where to reapply, and also, if I need to mention this situation to other schools. I didn't matriculate here because of how sick I am so I'm not sure if it's necessary to do so, and I really have nothing to hide in regards to all of this, but I just wasn't sure if DO programs can see that I have a deferred acceptance somewhere. I don't want them wondering why I would be deferring acceptance and reapplying -- I'm trying to avoid looking like an unappreciative jerk because that is not the case at all.

I completed my post-bacc with a 4.0 and have a 3.6cgpa/ 4.0sgpa/503 for DO programs (w/ grade replacement) and 3.5/3.7/503 MD, 3,000ish hours as a surgical medical assistant, 100 as a med assistant w a gen surgeon, 1,000+ hrs of research undergrad w/poster presentations, 1000 hrs clinical research coordinator for a pharm. derm company

I know my stats are low for MD and my heart isn't set on it, but in my "trying to be positive" mind-frame about this nightmare of a situation, I'm thinking maybe I should just try and apply to some in state (NY) and maybe new MD programs and see what happens. The universe is basically forcing me to reapply this cycle, so I figure I might as well throw some MD apps out there. For whatever reason this had to happen and I pray I will be starting in next years class somewhere that gives me a chance, and I can begin med school completely healthy.

Any suggestions about where to apply DO or MD would be appreciated. I'm thinking:

CCOM
PCOM
Nova
NYCOM
Touro-NY

Howard
SUNY Upstate
SUNY downstate
NYMC
Quinnipiac
Meharry
Ros Franklin
 

esob

Protomolecule
Moderator
Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2015
1,913
1,818
Icaria Planum
Status
Medical Student
You may want to seek out a private pathologist to DX the parasitology question. Most PCP's are simply going to send your samples off for the most basic and common screening and it will likely be done by a low level med tech in a "dollar is king" lab. I was a lab tech for years in the army and even the most seasoned techs miss stuff, especially the rare stuff because you just aren't looking for it simply because its so rare.
 

073116

2+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2016
228
138
Status
Medical Student
Due to altitude? Come on. Just try to get best doc that can really find out what's wrong with you, what parasitic infection etc. and then just continue your DO school. Majority of parasitic infections are treated quickly, it's not like you have cancer and going to have lifelong treatment process. Even if you are 1 week late, just continue your DO program. It makes little sense to skip a year and try to hide your history just to not be seen as a jerk to adcom. Much easier to find whatever parasite is in you, drink proper antibiotic and off you go. Tho, I have a feeling that you are covering with this story something else that makes you to switch/postpone programs. Otherwise in such deadline situation I would just take 2-3 major broadband antibiotics to cover 99% of parasites and be done. Nope, something else is here, I can smell it...
 
  • Like
Reactions: backside_attack

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
18,915
4,165
Florida/Fellowship
Status
Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
Folks, please don't give medical advice; none of you are docs caring for the OP, and even if you were, it is against our TOS to dispense medical advice on SDN for obvious reasons.

OP would like advice on medical schools where s/he should apply given this situation. OP, my suggestion would be to start with other schools where you had a positive response during your prior app season. Specifically, did you get any other acceptances besides the DO school in CO? Seems like reaching out to other schools that had already accepted you would be the natural place to start.
 

esob

Protomolecule
Moderator
Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2015
1,913
1,818
Icaria Planum
Status
Medical Student
I didn't really think saying "you should seek a specialized health care provider" was dispensing medical advice, lol. Telling them to apply to any medical school with a serious, untreated health condition does however seem like bad advice. Its pretty much the standard fare at SDN: OP posts "I'm sick but I want to be a doc." Standard advice (I know at least from Goro, Lizzy, and I'd wager if I had the time or inclination to search, probabably every other long term active member) is "Medical school can wait, take care of your health first."

OP describes current health condition as "basically bedridden" so I can't see in good conscious telling him anything other than "seek help first."
 
OP
N

nat0326

5+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2013
37
52
Status
Pre-Medical
Folks, please don't give medical advice; none of you are docs caring for the OP, and even if you were, it is against our TOS to dispense medical advice on SDN for obvious reasons.

OP would like advice on medical schools where s/he should apply given this situation. OP, my suggestion would be to start with other schools where you had a positive response during your prior app season. Specifically, did you get any other acceptances besides the DO school in CO? Seems like reaching out to other schools that had already accepted you would be the natural place to start.
I'm currently seeking help from multiple docs trying to resolve this situation, but I do still need to reapply and hope that I will be better in a year to begin elsewhere.

Contacting the other schools is one of the first things I thought of as well. I actually reached out to the other school where I was accepted and explained my situation. They seemed very happy to help, and said that given the circumstances they will make a note about why I am reapplying to include in my file, and said it won't hurt my application in any way. They actually said if they had an open spot for this class they would have allowed me to begin this year, but unfortunately the class is full. They seemed receptive which was a huge relief.

My question is can other DO programs see my acceptance through AACOMAS? I'm just curious because I can probably address it somewhere in my secondaries or even just email admissions and kind of let them know why so they can add it to my file.
 
7

787259

OP, I am sorry you are having unexplained health issues. I have dealt with a few periods of illness throughout my few years in med school...and it is tough. My only advice is to make sure that you are back to your normal self, or even healthier than you have been in the past, before you start school...it is difficult both mentally and physically.
The other school that accepted you seems to have a positive outlook and they have your info in the forefront for next years applicants. Best of luck!
 
  • Like
Reactions: nat0326
Apr 25, 2014
1,679
1,025
Florida
Status
Medical Student
Many schools have a clause about if you apply elsewhere you lose your deferred acceptance. So check with your school before doing such!!

You seriously need to follow up with physicians or perhaps even a psychiatrist or psychologist if they can't find a medical basis and figure out what is going on, asap! If you don't know then how do you tell an adcom that it won't happen again?

Good luck
 
  • Like
Reactions: Crayola227