reapplicants = less successful ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

infoseeker

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying this cycle with a weak mcat (24). I heard that if I retake the mcat and reapply next cycle, I have to label myself as a reapplicant. Is it true that statistically reapplicants have a much tougher time getting in?:confused: If I dont apply this cycle and strengthen my mcat then I guess I could apply for the first time next cycle. Any input would be greatly appreciated:)

Members don't see this ad.

Last year I only received one interview in October and was waitlisted there. This year, I've already received two interviews and its only August- and hopefully more will come. Oh yeah and my MCAT only increased by one point and I was told at the school I was waitlisted at that if I retook the MCAT and reapplied I was pretty much guaranteed admission this time. So, no, I definitely don't think being a reapplicant hurts your chances.

Whatever caused you to be a reapplicant in the first place is the problem, not necessarily the reapplicant label...I don't think med schools toss reapplicants into a different stack or anything...

I don't know if it is comforting to reapplicants or not, but the number of reapplicants in any given cycle is huge - I saw the number in some AMCAS pdf, but - of the 40k+ applicants in a cycle, IIRC something over 10k includes reapplicants...

If it really matters to you, look up the number for yourself, but the point is that it is a really large number...you are not alone...

Members don't see this ad :)
i applied the first time with a 25 mcat--no interviews. after two years, getting an MPH and raising my score 6 points, i got three interviews and two acceptances...and will be starting orientation next week:) if anything, my interviewers looked at my reapplicant "status" as proof of my desire to go into medical school.

I agree.
Being a reapplicant (especially if you only applied once before) is not really likely to hurt your application. I had to reapply back in 1999 or so, and it didn't seem to hurt at all. I think you need to address weaknesses in your application. I think your MCAT score will hurt your application at many schools, to the point they may screen you out. However, you can still go for those in your state of residence, and some DO schools don't care as much about the MCAT, particularly if you have health care related work experience.
I wouldn't stress about being a reapplicant per se. No reason to be defensive about it in your interviews, as many people end up having to apply 2x.

I agree, the second time around worked better for my mom. She said that she had a better interview and overall felt better prepared. She believes that the school respected her trying again and being dedicated.

Being a reapplicant only hurts if you haven't done anything to improve your application. It's true that reapplicants have lower acceptance rates, but that's only because they tend to have weaker applications.

If you are applying to MD schools, you will probably not have much luck with a 24. Plan on retaking and reapplying.

Check out the FAQs.

everyone keeps commenting on his "poor" mcat score...but reality is he can still get into med school with that score...look at the stats...it depends what the rest of his application looks like. To be quite frank i think its a crap shoot...ive known people with poor scores to get into multiple schools, while others with high scores don't even get an interview at the same schools. so i think people need to stop being so negative...no offense. as for the reapplication question...i think what everyone's saying is correct...it just makes u seem more dedicated...and shows that you really want it...cuz the process is not easy and definitely not cheap:)...so good luck to all re-applicants...im in the same boat:oops:

God bless

Unfortunately (for me also) many schools have an initial screening process based on grades and mcat score per section. I can speak from experience regarding roughly 1/3 of all med schools. To pass the initial screen and be considered, one must score typically 8+ per MCAT section. Very few schools will consider an applicant with a lower section score than an 8 regardless of anything else.

To verify this, take a look at the MSAR stats to see how many applicants with less than 8 bio section (or any other section) were accepted. Then take a look at the # of matriculants at the PR schools (which have average MCAT scores in the mid - low 20's) and throw in possibly Meharry or a few other lower-than-average-statistic schools, and you'll get a feel for the likelihood of being accepted with that type of score. Granted, if one is an in-state applicant, the odds may shift quite a bit in one's favor. (given a GPA of 3.75, that was unlikely to have been a factor)

everyone keeps commenting on his "poor" mcat score...but reality is he can still get into med school with that score...look at the stats...it depends what the rest of his application looks like. To be quite frank i think its a crap shoot...ive known people with poor scores to get into multiple schools, while others with high scores don't even get an interview at the same schools. so i think people need to stop being so negative...no offense. as for the reapplication question...i think what everyone's saying is correct...it just makes u seem more dedicated...and shows that you really want it...cuz the process is not easy and definitely not cheap:)...so good luck to all re-applicants...im in the same boat:oops:

God bless

Dude, the OP has a 24. Did YOU look at the stats, the MSAR? You have to be dreaming here...the OP's chances with a 24 are EXTREMELY poor - this really can't be in dispute (even the OP acknowledges his score is "weak" and the thrust of his question is not IF but WHEN he retakes vis a vis being a reapplicant next cycle).

FWIW, I did not comment on the 24 in my first post - I focused on the issue of being a reapplicant. Barring a miracle this cycle, the OP will be a reapplicant, and clearly he needs to retake and score much higher on the MCAT to have any real chance...the admissions process is unforgiving.

I think being a reapplicant actually helps your chances, assuming that in your time off you took the time to improve your application based on the constructive criticism you received the year before.

Dude, the OP has a 24. Did YOU look at the stats, the MSAR? You have to be dreaming here...the OP's chances with a 24 are EXTREMELY poor - this really can't be in dispute (even the OP acknowledges his score is "weak" and the thrust of his question is not IF but WHEN he retakes vis a vis being a reapplicant next cycle).

FWIW, I did not comment on the 24 in my first post - I focused on the issue of being a reapplicant. Barring a miracle this cycle, the OP will be a reapplicant, and clearly he needs to retake and score much higher on the MCAT to have any real chance...the admissions process is unforgiving.
/agreed. :thumbup: