Reapplication Advise regarding SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pons612

Reaction score
I would greatly appreciate any feedback or advise for what I could change/add for a future re application.

So a little background, I applied during the 2021/2022 cycle and received an II in my home state but was rejected a few weeks ago. I have been considering a SMP and have been accepted to two programs, one which has a linkage program to NYCM, but I am still on fence if it would even increase my chances for acceptance or if I would be better off working on other parts of my application.

As I looked back at my application I realized there were many holes. First, I applied very late in the cycle (around mid Sep) and I had no research experience, no non-clinical volunteering hours, and limited shadowing hours. I did have plenty of clinical experience (2000+ hours) working as a phlebotomist and volunteering at hospitals. I have been looking back at my PS and Secondary essays and will be obtaining more reviews on them the next time around.

To try and fill those gaps in my application I have started a full time research position at my home town university and will have greatly increased those research hours. I have also been volunteering at a homeless shelter and expect to have 200+ hours by the time I re-submit the application. I am also doing a clinical research volunteer program in the Emergency Department at a local hospital. This position also allows me to shadow ED physicians as well. I hope that this adds more hours to my clinical experience and hopefully a more meaningful experience than working as a phlebotomist. Some of my other components,
  • State/Country of Residence: Minnesota
  • Undergrad Institution: University of Minnesota Twin Cities
  • Cumulative GPA: 3.55
  • Science GPA: 3.61
  • MCAT Score(s): 508 (128,124,129,127)
  • 4 Letters of Reqs (3 Science, 1 Supervisor)
I'm pretty much debating if I should go through with the SMP, which would still offer me some opportunity to continuity to volunteer or obtain clinical experience in hospitals and hopefully increase my chance of acceptance or if I should just try to re take my MCAT and continue to get more clinical/non-clinical, and research experience.

In terms of the schools I applied to, I was very limited to the schools I could apply to since I am not a citizen or resident. But here is the list.

University of Minnesota
Rosalind Franklyn
Georgetown University
Howard University
Meharry College
Michigan State
NYMC
RUSH Medical College
Rutgers New Jersey
New York Upstate
Tulane
Irvine
San Diego School of Medicine
University of Illinois
University of Louisville

Grateful for any feedback/advice/pep talks.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have any trends for your GPA? If so, please list out year by year. You likely do not need an SMP. However, you need to apply to different schools as you had several donations on your list (Louisville, Michigan State, UC San Diego etc.) I see you applied to HBCUs. What background do you come from? You mentioned you are not a citizen or permanent resident. Are you an international student?

Do you have any trends for your GPA? If so, please list out year by year. You likely do not need an SMP. However, you need to apply to different schools as you had several donations on your list (Louisville, Michigan State, UC San Diego etc.) I see you applied to HBCUs. What background do you come from? You mentioned you are not a citizen or permanent resident. Are you an international student?
Thank for you the reply, no I do not have any real trends but I can these were my GPAs throughout my undergrad, cGPA: 3.00, 3.84, 3.47, 3.69 sGPA: 3.24, 3.89, 3.38, 3.71.

But yes as I did apply to a few HBCUs because I felt I had a better chance for acceptance due to my below average MCAT.

And no I am not an international student, I am a Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) student.

I keep wondering if completing the SMP and excelling in the program would be able to compensate for my below average MCAT and cGPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank for you the reply, no I do not have any real trends but I can these were my GPAs throughout my undergrad, cGPA: 3.00, 3.84, 3.47, 3.69 sGPA: 3.24, 3.89, 3.38, 3.71.

But yes as I did apply to a few HBCUs because I felt I had a better chance for acceptance due to my below average MCAT.

And no I am not an international student, I am a Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) student.

I keep wondering if completing the SMP and excelling in the program would be able to compensate for my below average MCAT and cGPA.
The HBCUs have a specific mission fit that you do not fit, particularly with no non-clinical volunteering to the communities they are dedicated to helping.

As you said, there are few schools that will accept DACA students at your stats level and with your state of residency. Are you able to show ability to pay the cost of attendance to schools as some schools require that? I know NYMC won’t help with paying for schooling.

Reactions: 1 user
Your sGPA is too high for me to suggest an SMP unless you have run out of undergrad biomedical classes.

How much help has your prehealth office given you, especially as a DACA applicant?

The HBCUs have a specific mission fit that you do not fit, particularly with no non-clinical volunteering to the communities they are dedicated to helping.

As you said, there are few schools that will accept DACA students at your stats level and with your state of residency. Are you able to show ability to pay the cost of attendance to schools as some schools require that? I know NYMC won’t help with paying for schooling.
Hello, sorry for the late reply but thank you for the input. I've been using MSAR to find schools that accept DACA students and I have also reached out to schools individually to determine if they do accept DACA student and most of the schools I have reached out to luckily do. However, some of the schools I have reached out to I would consider to be mid-tier or top tier schools that do accept DACA and so that is why I wanted to go through with a SMP program to hopefully make me stand out to those schools, since my current stats are average/below average. In terms of schooling cost, I am fortunate that my parents are willing to help cover a large sum of the cost and I would take the rest out in private loans.

Your sGPA is too high for me to suggest an SMP unless you have run out of undergrad biomedical classes.

How much help has your prehealth office given you, especially as a DACA applicant?
Thank you for the input. I haven't really looked much into a DYI post-bacc program. I was under the impression I would benefit more from a SMP, in terms of standing out to medical schools.

In terms of help from my pre-health advisor, not so much since they are not super aware of process I have to go through as a DACA student. I have found that MSAR is very helpful in terms of finding initials schools that do accept DACA, but also I have been contacting individual schools to get a final answer.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm less sure if the SMP's would take DACA students though the real question is if the schools that have linkages woud. That information isn't very obvious from the AAMC postbac program websites.

Honestly, how you "stand out" now isn't bad if you complete your hours and give a cogent story in your application. Your MCAT may be low but still in range for MD's, and if they find out you are DACA, that may be additional consideration. The real issue is the DACA issue and choosing the right schools (MD/DO) that would give you a chance. Networking will help figure that out.

Hello, sorry for the late reply but thank you for the input. I've been using MSAR to find schools that accept DACA students and I have also reached out to schools individually to determine if they do accept DACA student and most of the schools I have reached out to luckily do. However, some of the schools I have reached out to I would consider to be mid-tier or top tier schools that do accept DACA and so that is why I wanted to go through with a SMP program to hopefully make me stand out to those schools, since my current stats are average/below average. In terms of schooling cost, I am fortunate that my parents are willing to help cover a large sum of the cost and I would take the rest out in private loans.
What ethnic background do you come from?

I'm Hispanic/Latino so I have been looking for schools that might cater to admit underrepresented in medicine.
A higher MCAT could open more doors, but it is often hard to make a significant bump. I am using the link below when viewing MD schools that accept DACA. I presume your state schools (both campuses) will too.

Of these, I would recommend applying to:

NYMC
Quinnipiac (check their policy)
Georgetown
George Washington
Miami
Loyola (they had a specific program/info to help DACA, so research into that)
Rosalind Franklin
Tulane
Tufts
Einstein
NYU LI
Penn State
TCU
Vermont
MCW
West Virginia

For DO:
UNE
KCU
LECOM
WCU
AZCOM
CCOM (above two have high tuition FYI, so see if the financial requirement will be feasible for your parents)

Check with each school to verify, learn any specific policies or requirements, and see if they have actually matriculated DACA students before.

Reactions: 1 users
A higher MCAT could open more doors, but it is often hard to make a significant bump. I am using the link below when viewing MD schools that accept DACA. I presume your state schools (both campuses) will too.

Of these, I would recommend applying to:

NYMC
Quinnipiac (check their policy)
Georgetown
George Washington
Miami
Loyola (they had a specific program/info to help DACA, so research into that)
Rosalind Franklin
Tulane
Tufts
Einstein
NYU LI
Penn State
TCU
Vermont
MCW
West Virginia

For DO:
UNE
KCU
LECOM
WCU
AZCOM
CCOM (above two have high tuition FYI, so see if the financial requirement will be feasible for your parents)

Check with each school to verify, learn any specific policies or requirements, and see if they have actually matriculated DACA students before.
Thank you so much for providing a list. I was looking to apply to DO schools this coming cycle as well, so thank you for providing a list for that as well. Greatly appreciated.

Don't do a SMP. It probably won't compensate much.
The mcat is the main problem here

Hello everyone, I figured I would circle back to this thread to update and thank you all for such wonderful advise and helping me create a realistic school list. I did not end up attending the SMP program and decided to work on other components of my application and re-apply. I was able to receive 3 II. Currently on 2 WL and I just received my first A a few days ago!!

I hope in the future if any DACA pre-med student sees this thread, do not give up. While there may be extra hurdles to overcome, with passion and dedication it can be done!!

Thank you all!!

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Hello everyone, I figured I would circle back to this thread to update and thank you all for such wonderful advise and helping me create a realistic school list. I did not end up attending the SMP program and decided to work on other components of my application and re-apply. I was able to receive 3 II. Currently on 2 WL and I just received my first A a few days ago!!

I hope in the future if any DACA pre-med student sees this thread, do not give up. While there may be extra hurdles to overcome, with passion and dedication it can be done!!

Thank you all!!
Congratulations! Is PHD still active?