<Blank>

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CSmedlife

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
<Blank>

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I attended a 7 year combined BS/MD program. But, because I had to complete additional course work, I wasn’t able to complete my undergrad in 3 years and had to extend it to 4 years. So, I signed a deferral letter with my partnering medical school.

The deferral had a few requirements. One was that I scored over 127 on all sections of the MCAT. I took the test back in March and am worried I didn’t score this high. If my deferment gets canceled, will I be able to reapply again next cycle?

I’ve read that reapplying after an acceptance is looked upon unfavorably. Technically I’ve been accepted because I was offered a deferral, but the deferral could be rescinded. So would that bar me from applying again? I’m happy with the school and frankly would be fine attending any institution, but I’m worried admission committees could view this as a red flag of reapplying after an acceptance.
You are TOTALLY overthinking this. First, you need to wait for your scores to come back. You might be worrying about nothing!

Second, reapply after deferral means the candidate withdrew and then reapplied, and that is a big no-no. In your case, you would not be applying after a withdrawal. If you don't hit the benchmarks, it technically won't be your deferral that will be cancelled, it will be your contingent acceptance. So, you won't be reapplying after a deferral. You don't have an acceptance, yet, if it is conditioned upon your hitting a certain MCAT score.

The question is, have you submitted an application through AMCAS yet? If not, then you won't be a reapplicant at all. If you did, then you will be a reapplicant with a rejection at your affiliated medical school. Hope this helps!! Good luck!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
You are TOTALLY overthinking this. First, you need to wait for your scores to come back. You might be worrying about nothing!

Second, reapply after deferral means the candidate withdrew and then reapplied, and that is a big no-no. In your case, you would not be applying after a withdrawal. If you don't hit the benchmarks, it technically won't be your deferral that will be cancelled, it will be your contingent acceptance. So, you won't be reapplying after a deferral. You don't have an acceptance, yet, if it is conditioned upon your hitting a certain MCAT score.

The question is, have you submitted an application through AMCAS yet? If not, then you won't be a reapplicant at all. If you did, then you will be a reapplicant with a rejection at your affiliated medical school. Hope this helps!! Good luck!!
Thank you very much!

Reactions: 1 user