Reapply MD or accept DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gaspisces

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am sure most of y'all are tired of hearing this story but I would really appreciate your input. I have applied both MD and DO during this 2021-2022 cycle and received an A from MSUCOM but no interviews from MD. When I applied, I thought that I would loved to go to a DO but hearing the extra hurdles that DO students face it comes to residency, I realized I want to be able to focus on succeeding in USMILE and not having to take two sets of boards. My sGPA is 3.83 and overall is 3.86. My MCAT is 507 (128, 124, 128, 127). I have been undocumented without DACA so my school list was limited. Now that I have my permanent residency, I am wondering if I have a better chance at MD schools. Here are the schools that I applied to. Again, my school list was not based on my stat due to my residency status. I would appreciate your advice! Thank you.

MD:
Geisel
Georgetown
Keck USC
NJMS
RWJ
Sidney Kimmel
SUNY
TCUStanford
Tulane
UCLA
UCSF
UCI
UCSD
UCR
Charles Drew
University of Colorado
University of Hawaii
UNC

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
What have you done to significantly improve your application for the next cycle? ADCOMS will want and expect to see significant improvement in your application. your MCAT is below the average MCAT score for MD students. Are you from California? If you don’t want to be a DO don’t be a DO! But there is absolutely no guarantee that you will have a different end result next cycle. Your school list is pretty unrealistic. Where would you apply next cycle?

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, I would just accept DO. As somebody who was disappointed in my results (compared to a past cycle. Reapplied involuntarily), I definitely know how you’re feeling. But at the end of the day you’ll be able to be a doctor. If you risk reapplying, you may not get in anywhere.

Highest yield improvement would be increasing MCAT. What’s your breakdown. This will allow me to assess if a dramatic increase is likely/possible (edit: never mind, reread post and saw breakdown). it’s a neutral to slightly negative breakdown in terms of retakes. The verbal/cars section is probably the most difficult to improve upon. This reinforces my initial opinion regarding taking the DO acceptance.

Btw, Don’t MDs have two sets of boards (not sure about boards for DO but don’t MD have step 1 and step 2?)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
A ton of donations on your llist. Are you aware that Drew is a historically black college??
Yeah, I am from California and is disadvantaged so I figured I would just give it a shot.

What have you done to significantly improve your application for the next cycle? ADCOMS will want and expect to see significant improvement in your application. your MCAT is below the average MCAT score for MD students. Are you from California? If you don’t want to be a DO don’t be a DO! But there is absolutely no guarantee that you will have a different end result next cycle. Your school list is pretty unrealistic. Where would you apply next cycle?
I was thinking of retaking MCAT. I was scoring above 510 on my practice tests but did not do as well on my test date. I am also thinking I can apply more schools that fit my stats since I have gotten my permanent residency.

Honestly, I would just accept DO. As somebody who was disappointed in my results (compared to a past cycle. Reapplied involuntarily), I definitely know how you’re feeling. But at the end of the day you’ll be able to be a doctor. If you risk reapplying, you may not get in anywhere.

Highest yield improvement would be increasing MCAT. What’s your breakdown. This will allow me to assess if a dramatic increase is likely/possible (edit: never mind, reread post and saw breakdown). it’s a neutral to slightly negative breakdown in terms of retakes. The verbal/cars section is probably the most difficult to improve upon. This reinforces my initial opinion regarding taking the DO acceptance.

Btw, Don’t MDs have two sets of boards (not sure about boards for DO but don’t MD have step 1 and step 2?)
Yeah I am contemplating taking the DO but I just don't know how hard it will be to get into residency. As of right now, I am interested in anesthesiology but that might also change after rotations.

I think I need to take COMPLEX to graduate, in my understanding. I could be completely wrong.

Yeah I am contemplating taking the DO but I just don't know how hard it will be to get into residency. As of right now, I am interested in anesthesiology but that might also change after rotations.

I think I need to take COMPLEX to graduate, in my understanding. I could be completely wrong.
COMLEX. Take the DO if you want to be a doctor right now, residency is always up in the air and up to how you perform in school. Anesthesiology is possible. The one you got into is a large state school with more resources than many DO programs. Step 1 is P/F now so you have to focus on Step 2 and the clinical years more anyways.

Reactions: 2 users
COMLEX. Take the DO if you want to be a doctor right now, residency is always up in the air and up to how you perform in school. Anesthesiology is possible. The one you got into is a large state school with more resources than many DO programs. Step 1 is P/F now so you have to focus on Step 2 and the clinical years more anyways.
Thank you for the input! I appreciate it!

Letting go of an acceptance in-hand to retake the MCAT, to potentially get a good score, lose 1-2 years reapplying (and thus lose 1-2 years of attending salary), take on the risk of still not getting accepted anywhere, and then having a "refused DO acceptance" flag on your app if you reapply DO as well seems like wayyy too many risks. I'd take the acceptance and run with it. DOs are getting more and more competitive every year, and their match have been improving over the years as well. Gas should be very much attainable if you work hard.

Reactions: 14 users

Can’t go to residency if you aren’t in medical school. Take the MSUCOM acceptance.

COMLEX is stupid. I did functionally 0 COMLEX dedicated prep and focused solely on USMLE and did well on COMLEX.

Currently in an academic general surgery residency.

• Wow
  • Care
Reactions: 8 users
Letting go of an acceptance in-hand to retake the MCAT, to potentially get a good score, lose 1-2 years reapplying (and thus lose 1-2 years of attending salary), take on the risk of still not getting accepted anywhere, and then having a "refused DO acceptance" flag on your app if you reapply DO as well seems like wayyy too many risks. I'd take the acceptance and run with it. DOs are getting more and more competitive every year, and their match have been improving over the years as well. Gas should be very much attainable if you work hard.
Yeah I see the risks with rejecting an A. I just didn’t think much about OMM and taking two sets of boards.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I see the risks with rejecting an A. I just didn’t think much about OMM and taking two sets of boards.

I've spent a lot of time on the DO student forums, and the gist of what I got is that while OMM is annoying, it's only for the first 2 years of med school. Also, a lot of students just study mainly for the USMLE, and then cram OMM BS the last few days before COMLEX. Apparently as long as your Step 2 score is good, your COMLEX score can be like 10th percentile and it wouldn't mean jack, unless you're applying for things like ortho, in which your COMLEX score is quite important (as you'll be focusing on a lot of the former AOA programs? I'm not really sure on this last bit).

So, while both are annoyances, they're not nearly a big enough hindrance to let go of a med school acceptance.

Reactions: 4 users
The hurdles are fading away as we speak. I encourage you to take a look at last year's match data to inform your decision. MD/DOs have matched in every specialty at rates far exceeding those of IMGs. The single most important factor that will dictate the kind of physician you become is you. In my opinion, turning down an acceptance to aim for a higher-ranked program is a huge waste of time. Focus on the type of residency you will aim for and the kind of physician you wish to become.

Congratulations on getting accepted into medical school. I wish you great success in this journey!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 9 users
OP. Just know that If you plan to match Anestesiology back to CA than it will be an uphill battle for you. see the attachment. you may change your mind and chose FM, but Know what you are getting into. a 507 MCAT will make an OMM believer out of anyone, at least during their interview.

Attachments

• Specialty-by-State-and-Applicant-Type_2020.pdf
    152.3 KB · Views: 178
  • Sad
OP. Just know that If you plan to match Anestesiology back to CA than it will be an uphill battle for you. see the attachment. you may change your mind and chose FM, but Know what you are getting into. a 507 MCAT will make an OMM believer out of anyone, at least during their interview.
Important to compare the number that applied alongside the number that matched.

Don't become that person who talks for the rest of their life about how they got into medical school but didn't end up going and lost their chance to be a doctor.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

We're required to take COMLEX Level 1 and COMLEX Level 2. It's considered prudent to take USMLE Step 1 and Step 2 as well because program directors don't always know what to make of COMLEX scores. About half of DO students end up taking COMLEX and USMLE.

Reactions: 3 users
Hello everyone, I am sure most of y'all are tired of hearing this story but I would really appreciate your input. I have applied both MD and DO during this 2021-2022 cycle and received an A from MSUCOM but no interviews from MD. When I applied, I thought that I would loved to go to a DO but hearing the extra hurdles that DO students face it comes to residency, I realized I want to be able to focus on succeeding in USMILE and not having to take two sets of boards. My sGPA is 3.83 and overall is 3.86. My MCAT is 507 (128, 124, 128, 127). I was born in South Korea and immigrated in early teen years. I have been undocumented without DACA so my school list was limited. Now that I have my permanent residency, I am wondering if I have a better chance at MD schools. Here are the schools that I applied to. Again, my school list was not based on my stat due to my residency status. I would appreciate your advice! Thank you.

MD:
Geisel
Georgetown
Keck USC
NJMS
RWJ
Sidney Kimmel
SUNY
TCUStanford
Tulane
UCLA
UCSF
UCI
UCSD
UCR
Charles Drew
University of Colorado
University of Hawaii
UNC
take do opportunity
u dont know if u will get another chsnce

I would take the DO: in fact, with very similar stats to yours, that's what I did! With 0 MD interviews (me too), I'd say it's a big gamble just to find yourself back in the same position in a year or two, but now you're trying to explain to DO schools why you turned down an A and why you're drinking the cool aid now. Not a great spot to be in. Also, I took the MCAT twice: it is crazy hard to raise your score. I squeezed out an extra 4 points after paying for a class, and so that would just barely get you into MD territory, and there are plenty of people in my class with MCAT scores above 510: so not necessarily!

Here's a couple of other things to consider: 1) you might hate anesthesiology. 2) the field may not be as secure in pay and lifestyle as it is now (nurse anesthetists are cheaper and fighting really hard for independent practice rights). 3) you might not hate OMM.

You will definitely have to take COMLEX to complete DO school, like it's a requirement. Heck I have to pass practice exams just to finish 2nd year. In my (practice) experience, COMLEX is easier than USMLE, so even if you're taking 2 sets of boards, you're really only studying for 1. Also, I really found that I kinda like OMM. I don't think I'm going to cure anyone's cancer with it, and I'm not planning to learn cranial stuff, but it was really helpful while learning anatomy (and keeping it fresh) and there are some great tools. My family is begging me all the time to practice on them: if it didn't help them, they wouldn't be asking! I was in your shoes and I took the DO offer and I don't regret that one bit!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
I am not an expert here, but as a person who has similar stats (a bit lower MCAT and GPA, but I am the WA resident) and is going through the cycle for 2nd time, not by my desire - I really do not want to do it once again.
I did not have IVs with MDs school the last year, and I was happy to go to the DO school where I was waitlisted, but it did not happen.
Every time you are applying during the new cycle, you should show a significant improvement in your application which takes a lot of time and sometimes money (and it is not only the MCAT, in fact, I did not retake it but concentrated on experiences). The competition for any type of school increases, and new requirements and tests are added every year. For example, one of my state schools has started utilizing the Casper test in their application process this cycle, which is a headache for me as for a non-native speaker (as and CARS section, which does not allow me to improve my MCAT score significantly). So, postponing entering the school, you do not know what additional you can face at the next application cycle and how you will perform while fulfilling these requirements.
Moreover, your MCAT score is lower than the average for some CA DO schools like Western (I even do not point to MDs), and out-state MD schools want outstanding applicants.
So, I would be afraid of not becoming a physician in the future than taking two sets of exams or learning some additional treatment techniques that actually can enrich your medical perspectives.
According to the specialty, I shadowed a DO who is in the specialty I intend to. So, if a person did it 15-20 years ago when DOs schools were less known, why cannot I do it now? (of course, Match stats is more relevant, it was just a personal remark).
Anyway, good luck with any your decision.

• Care
MSUCOM is a fine school; however, if you do not want to be a DO, then give up the seat to someone who would appreciate the opportunity. Yes, there is some stigma associated with being an osteopathic physician, but as I am finding out, that stigma is lessening each year and to be totally honest, whether you pursue the MD or DO route, your career options will largely be decided by you (i.e., based on the work that you do while you are in school to make yourself a competitive residency applicant). I have some classmates who bitch and moan about being at an osteopathic medical school everyday; makes us all miserable so if you really can't see yourself being a DO, go do what you think would make you happy. Just be aware that there is 0 guarantee that if you retake the MCAT, that you will score higher nor is there a guarantee that another application season ends with the result that you want. Think long and hard before you give up that seat.

Hello everyone, I am sure most of y'all are tired of hearing this story but I would really appreciate your input. I have applied both MD and DO during this 2021-2022 cycle and received an A from MSUCOM but no interviews from MD. When I applied, I thought that I would loved to go to a DO but hearing the extra hurdles that DO students face it comes to residency, I realized I want to be able to focus on succeeding in USMILE and not having to take two sets of boards. My sGPA is 3.83 and overall is 3.86. My MCAT is 507 (128, 124, 128, 127). I was born in South Korea and immigrated in early teen years. I have been undocumented without DACA so my school list was limited. Now that I have my permanent residency, I am wondering if I have a better chance at MD schools. Here are the schools that I applied to. Again, my school list was not based on my stat due to my residency status. I would appreciate your advice! Thank you.

MD:
Geisel
Georgetown
Keck USC
NJMS
RWJ
Sidney Kimmel
SUNY
TCUStanford
Tulane
UCLA
UCSF
UCI
UCSD
UCR
Charles Drew
University of Colorado
University of Hawaii
UNC
Honestly I would attend the DO school. Most people study for step and then cram omm for a few days before taking comlex. There's a few specialties that will be alot harder to get into as a DO but to do well enough to get them as an MD you could as a DO as well. Was that 124 CARS? Some schools would screen you out for getting below a 125 on a section alone.

In my opinion rejecting the acceptance to retake the mcat and reapply in your position would be like saying hit on a 18 in a game of blackjack. Sure you may do better and get in at an MD school but the odds are not in your favor.

Thank you everyone for your advice! I have decided to attend the DO school. They were nice enough to give me an acceptance this cycle and I let the pre-med stigma around DO get to me. I am grateful to finally start med school. I appreciate you all!

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Thank you everyone for your advice! I have decided to attend the DO school. They were nice enough to give me an acceptance this cycle and I let the pre-med stigma around DO get to me. I am grateful to finally start med school. I appreciate you all!

Four years from right now, you will be in the home stretch of OMS4 and coming up on Match Day. Your future will be wide open ahead of you. You'll look back on this apprehension and be so thankful to your past self that you went ahead with your acceptance, rather than putting your life on hold for who knows how long just to re-roll the dice.

By accepting a spot in a US medical school, you can now count yourself among the most elite students in the country. It's an incredible, hard fought achievement and you should be proud. Congratulations on your acceptance and go daydream about your future life as a physician while the excitement is still fresh. The reality of med school is going to hit you like a ton of bricks soon enough, lol.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 6 users
Four years from right now, you will be in the home stretch of OMS4 and coming up on Match Day. Your future will be wide open ahead of you. You'll look back on this apprehension and be so thankful to your past self that you went ahead with your acceptance, rather than putting your life on hold for who knows how long just to re-roll the dice.

By accepting a spot in a US medical school, you can now count yourself among the most elite students in the country. It's an incredible, hard fought achievement and you should be proud. Congratulations on your acceptance and go daydream about your future life as a physician while the excitement is still fresh. The reality of med school is going to hit you like a ton of bricks soon enough, lol.
I think one of the things that made me reconsider DO initially was me freaking out about the work load of medical school + OMM + board exams. But I am also relieved that I can just focus on school and not worry about having to work or invest time in extracurricular activities as much as I did in undergrad.

msucom is as good as all but a handful of Allopathic schools. Big medical center and is just as good of a chance of getting a residency as Allopathic with some exception.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Hello everyone, I am sure most of y'all are tired of hearing this story but I would really appreciate your input. I have applied both MD and DO during this 2021-2022 cycle and received an A from MSUCOM but no interviews from MD. When I applied, I thought that I would loved to go to a DO but hearing the extra hurdles that DO students face it comes to residency, I realized I want to be able to focus on succeeding in USMILE and not having to take two sets of boards. My sGPA is 3.83 and overall is 3.86. My MCAT is 507 (128, 124, 128, 127). I have been undocumented without DACA so my school list was limited. Now that I have my permanent residency, I am wondering if I have a better chance at MD schools. Here are the schools that I applied to. Again, my school list was not based on my stat due to my residency status. I would appreciate your advice! Thank you.

MD:
Geisel
Georgetown
Keck USC
NJMS
RWJ
Sidney Kimmel
SUNY
TCUStanford
Tulane
UCLA
UCSF
UCI
UCSD
UCR
Charles Drew
University of Colorado
University of Hawaii
UNC
OMS-3 here. Getting really tired of seeing this headline no offense. I am currently in a dermatology rotation and my attending went to my school and is a DO. DO’s are not “disadvantaged” anymore- there are like 2% of individuals who think we are “less than” however their opinion is invalid and quite the opposite as most of us take both board exams (COMLEX and STEP) but often people don’t know that/forget that. You will have to work harder to know STEP material if you want to do a competitive specialty. Other than that, there are plenty of opportunities depending on how you do in med school in general. But thinking you won’t get into anesthesia because you have DO initials is absolutely not true its all about your performance and how well you interview.

OMS-3 here. Getting really tired of seeing this headline no offense. I am currently in a dermatology rotation and my attending went to my school and is a DO. DO’s are not “disadvantaged” anymore- there are like 2% of individuals who think we are “less than” however their opinion is invalid and quite the opposite as most of us take both board exams (COMLEX and STEP) but often people don’t know that/forget that. You will have to work harder to know STEP material if you want to do a competitive specialty. Other than that, there are plenty of opportunities depending on how you do in med school in general. But thinking you won’t get into anesthesia because you have DO initials is absolutely not true its all about your performance and how well you interview.
I meant USMLE its like 1 am here^ but tomato tomato

I would take the DO: in fact, with very similar stats to yours, that's what I did! With 0 MD interviews (me too), I'd say it's a big gamble just to find yourself back in the same position in a year or two, but now you're trying to explain to DO schools why you turned down an A and why you're drinking the cool aid now. Not a great spot to be in. Also, I took the MCAT twice: it is crazy hard to raise your score. I squeezed out an extra 4 points after paying for a class, and so that would just barely get you into MD territory, and there are plenty of people in my class with MCAT scores above 510: so not necessarily!

Here's a couple of other things to consider: 1) you might hate anesthesiology. 2) the field may not be as secure in pay and lifestyle as it is now (nurse anesthetists are cheaper and fighting really hard for independent practice rights). 3) you might not hate OMM.

You will definitely have to take COMLEX to complete DO school, like it's a requirement. Heck I have to pass practice exams just to finish 2nd year. In my (practice) experience, COMLEX is easier than USMLE, so even if you're taking 2 sets of boards, you're really only studying for 1. Also, I really found that I kinda like OMM. I don't think I'm going to cure anyone's cancer with it, and I'm not planning to learn cranial stuff, but it was really helpful while learning anatomy (and keeping it fresh) and there are some great tools. My family is begging me all the time to practice on them: if it didn't help them, they wouldn't be asking! I was in your shoes and I took the DO offer and I don't regret that one bit!
Oms-3 here you must be a second year! Good luck on boards later this year, but yes you are correct COMLEX is easier than USMLE by far. Definitely focus on U world or whatever question bank your using and do your best! (I know its pass or fail but trust me DO school curriculum unfortunately does not prepare well for USMLE that’s the one con I have found). You got this! Third year is so much better once you get through OB and Surg :)

I think one of the things that made me reconsider DO initially was me freaking out about the work load of medical school + OMM + board exams. But I am also relieved that I can just focus on school and not worry about having to work or invest time in extracurricular activities as much as I did in undergrad.
DO intern here: It’s very annoying to pay for an extra set of board exams. But really if you’re studying for USMLE, you’re studying for COMLEX. All throughout medical school, my COMLEX-specific studying involved watching a YouTube video on spinal innervation and running through that TurnUp2OMT anki deck once during 2nd year. Other than that, it’s legitimately just one more class. And most people just studied for other stuff/took a study break during OMM lab and crammed the night before/morning of for OMM tests/practicals.

MSUCOM is a fantastic DO school. If you don’t get match the field you want, it won’t be because you’re a DO.

• Care
Medical schools are a spectrum, not just two buckets, good and bad.

I interviewed at a top ophthalmology residency program and one faculty said "how did you get an invitation here? we just interview med students from the very top medical schools." My medical school, an MD school, is not bottom of the barrel but not the top 5 or 10.

Medical schools are a spectrum, not just two buckets, good and bad.

I interviewed at a top ophthalmology residency program and one faculty said "how did you get an invitation here? we just interview med students from the very top medical schools." My medical school, an MD school, is not bottom of the barrel but not the top 5 or 10.
Did you get it?

Did you get it?
No, but I got into a decent ophthalmology residency, just not a world famous one. On the other hand, I see flaws even in the world famous ones. There is no such thing as a perfect residency. There is such thing as a lousy residency.

No, but I got into a decent ophthalmology residency, just not a world famous one. On the other hand, I see flaws even in the world famous ones. There is no such thing as a perfect residency. There is such thing as a lousy residency.
Do you mean the actually residency is long hours and tough work or opportunities to these residents are limited? What do the residents of “lousy” programs do afterwards?

Do you mean the actually residency is long hours and tough work or opportunities to these residents are limited? What do the residents of “lousy” programs do afterwards?
They go on to be X specialists just like anyone else, they just don’t get the more desirable jobs