Reapplying after acceptance a revisit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefulscientist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I already asked the forum about this and I guess I'm particularly upset about being turned down from my top choice as I keep perseverating on being rejected from them, though I want other people's feedback that is objective. I feel the weak point of my application from my top choice school was my MCAT score, which was 34 and the school's median accepted MCAT was 37. If I did my best and didn't make the cut, I could live with that, though I am very confident that a particularly nasty breakup about 1.5 months before my exam interfered with my performance (I studied for 4 months) as I know I could have done better (I was score 38s consistently on Kaplan practice exams). The details of what happened are not important, but her actions with the breakup and further actions post-breakup caused me to fairly frequently have panic attacks and have difficulty moving forward day to day. Fortunately, I could balance things well enough and got some help with therapy, but my MCAT score remains in place when I know for a fact that I could do better. I know things have been complicated as I have an acceptance in place and that I essentially already know that I am now in place for this other school, though does anyone have constructive feedback on what can be done other than tough luck? I recognize that I will likely simply attend the place I was accepted to, which I'm alright with, though I would much prefer going to my top choice, which I have connections with and remain competitive (both my interviewers let me know after the process that they liked me, things were just particularly competitive and I am guessing my lower MCAT score contributed to my rejection). Stats on app: >3.8o, 3.75s, good ECs, leadership exp, started org, volunteer, strong LORs, well-reviewed personal statement + secondaries. I applied for MD only

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/reapplying-after-acceptance.1125035/

Been discussed many times, in my experience in admissions and premed advising, I consider the worst possible mistake that a premed can make is turning down an acceptance in hope of a reapplication next cycle. It is nearly a guarantee that you wont ever be a doctor.

OP please take this advice. Gonnif more experience in medical school admissions than most people here and too often I see people disregard his advice.

Did you ever consider that maybe the reason they didn't accept you is not because of your MCAT, but because they actually didn't think you were a good fit? Be happy with what you have, because you can't always get what you want, OP. It's a good life lesson.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The chances anyone has at their top choice is always going to be slim, don't throw away an acceptance to try again at that school with an even lesser/no chance of admittance.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks all for the advice, I pretty much already decided I'll be going to the school I was accepted at (it is still a pretty good place that I could enjoy my four years at). Unfortunate this happened, though as piii stated, it is a good life lesson that I'm not used to.

Reactions: 1 users