Reapplying after being accepted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mtnola

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a longtime lurker and have a question for which I know I will get flamed. But it's one that is applicable to my current situation and something I can't find the answer to anywhere.

I know that beginning on May 15th other schools to which I have applied will know where I have been accepted. But does this apply across different cycles?

More specifically, if I were to get an MD acceptance to only one school this cycle and turn it down, would adcoms next cycle know that I had previously been accepted to an MD program somewhere else? Obviously I wouldn't reapply to the school that I had turned down originally.

Lastly, I swear I'm not trolling.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Why do you want to turn down your acceptance?

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you have a very VERY good reason for turning it down, you will likely never get an acceptance at any MD school ever again. Schools will know that you have been accepted somewhere before.

1. Having multiple accounts is against SDN TOS.
2. Schools find out about your other acceptances earlier than May 15th. I actually think it's this month.
3. If you apply MD again, you'll be explicitly asked if you were ever accepted into an MD program before

I absolutely HATED the school and could not bear spending four years there.

I absolutely HATED the school and could not bear spending four years there.

I won't fault you for that since it's unrealistic to expect an applicant to know that much about a school during primary applications. Unfortunately, the people who matter likely won't think that this is a good reason. You gotta suck it up for the next four years, but at least you'll be getting an MD!

In just about every Secondary I completed I was asked whether or not I had been accepted to a US medical school and If so why I was reapplying. My guess is its a bad idea without a good explanation.

Just to straighten out the record here: you are NOT going to be explicitly asked whether or not you've been accepted to an MD program before, you WILL be asked whether or not you MATRICULATED to another medical school before. As long as you don't actually matriculate (ie turn down your acceptance) you will have nothing to disclose to the schools you apply to next year.

My senior year of undergrad I applied only to my in-state schools, was accepted, and decided not to go (because none of them really felt like a home to me). I took a year off, applied instead to a bunch of out-of-state schools, received multiple acceptances, and am now about to start my second semester at the place that felt absolutely perfect to me. If you really can't see yourself at one of the places you were accepted to this year, take a year off and set your sights somewhere else.

Not once during my second application was I asked anything about my first; as far as those adcoms were concerned, this was my first time applying to medical school.

EDIT: None of the schools on my list asked about being accepted in their secondarys (Michigan, Harvard, Yale, Penn, Mayo (no secondary here), Cornell, Columbia, Dartmouth, Emory)

Last edited:
1. Having multiple accounts is against SDN TOS.
2. Schools find out about your other acceptances earlier than May 15th. I actually think it's this month.
3. If you apply MD again, you'll be explicitly asked if you were ever accepted into an MD program before

1) I looked through the TOS and must've missed that one. Sorry. It's a one-time thing only for this thread.
2) Are you sure? If not May 15th, I thought it was March something, but not this early.
3) Good to know. So it's not just " Have you matriculated somewhere before?" But also just having an acceptance?

Thanks!

Yes waste time and money reapplying.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

No chance at all that you may get accepted somewhere else?

Could still happen, so I'm not entirely screwed. But there's a good chance this may be my only option.

Members don't see this ad :)
1) I looked through the TOS and must've missed that one. Sorry. It's a one-time thing only for this thread.
2) Are you sure? If not May 15th, I thought it was March something, but not this early.
3) Good to know. So it's not just " Have you matriculated somewhere before?" But also just having an acceptance?

Thanks!

Some of my secondaries said matriculated, others said accepted. It depends. I remember an adcom telling me that schools find out everywhere you've been accepted already early in the new year. May 15th is just the day that you can no longer hold multiple acceptances.

Awhile back some kid said he was accepted at UCLA and rejected at Harvard, but he decided to reapply because Harvard was what he wanted and he got into Harvard the following cycle.

But that was probably a troll's anecdote on applying to medical school.

After your most recent hold, you'd think you'd be a little more forgiving of others.

I've only had one post hold. It was also notsrs, hence why I edited it immediately.

I'm happy to continue derailing this thread if you want though.

The thought of being accepted one cycle and not during the next is...unsettling.

Awhile back some kid said he was accepted at UCLA and rejected at Harvard, but he decided to reapply because Harvard was what he wanted and he got into Harvard the following cycle.

Yeah...no. I wouldn't turn down UCLA with the hopes of getting into Harvard as a reapplicant.

I'm a longtime lurker and have a question for which I know I will get flamed. But it's one that is applicable to my current situation and something I can't find the answer to anywhere.

I know that beginning on May 15th other schools to which I have applied will know where I have been accepted. But does this apply across different cycles?

More specifically, if I were to get an MD acceptance to only one school this cycle and turn it down, would adcoms next cycle know that I had previously been accepted to an MD program somewhere else? Obviously I wouldn't reapply to the school that I had turned down originally.

No, in a new cycle no school will know where you previously applied or were accepted (except themself).

I know of people who deferred a year and reapplied. I would be careful with this, a school could rescind an offer at any time and you will be left holding nothing. If you must, I wouldn't turn down the one you got though, try to defer a year so you can apply elsewhere.

I can see where you are coming from but again applying to med isn't cheap.

If you're going to put next year's applications and interviews on credit cards. Don't do it. Take your acceptance. People say it is a small price to pay to be happy but when your debt starts haunting you while in med school like I'm afraid mine will. It isn't worth it.

Last edited:
This post sounds familiar. I know I've seen a thread like this before.

But are you serious? Supposing you are, why didn't you withdraw post-interview if you hated the school so much?

You must be aware that most people here, who lack an MD acceptance, want to strangle you for asking this question.

You must be aware that most people here, who lack an MD acceptance, want to strangle you for asking this question.

Wouldn't really matter given that the seat isn't wasted. That just makes that next person's day on the waitlist.

I've a friend who was accepted to a US medical school last cycle, and decided not to go because

1. It was very far away from home and
2. The school was on academic probation

He now has acceptances at two schools, and is interviewing for more.

Just make sure you have a strong, legitimate reason for not attending.
Remember that the schools are giving you a spot in their class, a spot which many. many, other people could only dream of. They need to know that you're not just window shopping. Schools also don't like being rejected either! Burn me once, shame on me, but twice? Well...you'd better have your reason(s) ready.

OP. if you don't want to attend this school and you have not been accepted yet, why not withdraw your current application from the school. That way there will be no red flag next cycle.

This post sounds familiar. I know I've seen a thread like this before.

There was a ~2 pager on this very subject late last year (it might have even been bumped from 2011).

Beginning in February

There was a ~2 pager on this very subject late last year (it might have even been bumped from 2011).

Clearly I didn't read far enough down that one.

The answer is below, for those interested:

To answer the original question since I actually called AMCAS last year before applying to med schools.

Medical schools will know if you were accepted into medical school and declined ONLY if you apply to the same school twice. When you apply to a school, they make a file about you. Come May 1st (I forget the exact date) each school that you applied to will have access to where you have been accepted (not rejected, waitlitsted, or merely applied). If you then apply to that same school again, they can look you up in their database and see this acceptance data from the previous year. Thus, if you apply to Harvard during year 1, get rejected but get into another school, turn it down, and apply to Harvard again the following year, provided they kept your file, they will see that you turned down an acceptance the previous year. This will look REALLY bad.

So...technically, if the second time around you applied to a whole new slew of schools, they would have no way of knowing whether or not you declined any acceptances.

However it seems like some schools ask if you've been accepted before in their secondaries. So that's a risk I need to consider and have an explanation for if it does come up.

I'm still not sure what I'm going to do but I'm glad to see that I have options regardless of what I decide in the end.

Just to straighten out the record here: you are NOT going to be explicitly asked whether or not you've been accepted to an MD program before, you WILL be asked whether or not you MATRICULATED to another medical school before. As long as you don't actually matriculate (ie turn down your acceptance) you will have nothing to disclose to the schools you apply to next year.

My senior year of undergrad I applied only to my in-state schools, was accepted, and decided not to go (because none of them really felt like a home to me). I took a year off, applied instead to a bunch of out-of-state schools, received multiple acceptances, and am now about to start my second semester at the place that felt absolutely perfect to me. If you really can't see yourself at one of the places you were accepted to this year, take a year off and set your sights somewhere else.

Not once during my second application was I asked anything about my first; as far as those adcoms were concerned, this was my first time applying to medical school.

EDIT: None of the schools on my list asked about being accepted in their secondarys (Michigan, Harvard, Yale, Penn, Mayo (no secondary here), Cornell, Columbia, Dartmouth, Emory)

Thanks for this! I remember being asked in my secondaries if I had matriculated before or applied in previous years but I can't recall if they asked if I had been accepted. I guess it's completely school dependent.

Congrats on your acceptances! Those are some great schools.

Last edited:

rofl.

Just curious as to what you hated so much. As someone about to graduate medical school and who interviewed at over ten schools, I find it hard to believe there was something so bad on the interview that you could not last four years there? Maybe if you explained what you hated other medical students could help address your concerns.

Another application cycle is expensive in itself and costs you a year of salary.

It's better to "hate" being in that school for four years rather than never becoming a doctor

Reactions: 1 user
Happened to me, was accepted back in 2006. It also happened to 2 or so people currently in my M1 class. One of them applied to the same school twice and was accepted both times in back-to back cycles. We all had darn good reasons for not attending initially.

Happened to me, was accepted back in 2006. It also happened to 2 or so people currently in my M1 class. One of them applied to the same school twice and was accepted both times in back-to back cycles. We all had darn good reasons for not attending initially.

What counts as a good reason? Family situations? Extenuating personal circumstances? etc..

Beginning in February
Bumping this thread sorry, but Does anyone know how exactly medical schools are able to see your acceptances from previous cycles? Is it from the Multiple Acceptances Report sent out in the initial cycle? If so, if you withdraw from said acceptance before that report is released (February), then the medical schools wouldn't know that you are reapplying w/ a previous acceptance correct?

Last edited:

What was that reason for not attending?