Reapplying DO after Declining Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FIREitUP

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that this has been done to death, but I applied to a DO school and interviewed there. After interviewing, I realized that I would hate to go to the school. Foolishly, I did not withdraw my application immediately after. I subsequently received an acceptance from the school, and declined it.

Would DO schools not even look at my application if I reapply to other DO schools, even if my stats are way above average for Osteopathic schools?

Members don't see this ad.

I understand that this has been done to death, but I applied to a DO school and interviewed there. After interviewing, I realized that I would hate to go to the school. Foolishly, I did not withdraw my application immediately after. I subsequently received an acceptance from the school, and declined it.

Would DO schools not even look at my application if I reapply to other DO schools, even if my stats are way above average for Osteopathic schools?
Wow...Were you nuts? A physician is a physician whether MD or DO. Don't know the answer to your question; Hopefully someone else can enlighten you on that. Your case is very depressing.

Wow...Were you nuts? A physician is a physician whether MD or DO. Don't know the answer to your question; Hopefully someone else can enlighten you on that. Your case is very depressing.

Thanks, but this decision was more than an MD vs DO thing. Multiple factors made me dislike the school, but thanks for your input.

Members don't see this ad :)

Since you never matriculated to the school, only accepted, you can truthfully say that you've never attended medical school.

If asked about previous acceptances, answer truthfully, and come up with someone more reasonable than, "I forgot to withdraw." To say in the most polite, tactful way that you realized the school was not right for you, or it wasn't the right time to go to school, may help, but it will beg the question, "Well, if that wasn't the right school for you, and how do you know that this school is?" and "If you weren't ready then, how do you know you are ready now?"

The basic theme that might come up is simply - did you do enough research into the schools you applied to, and are you mentally ready to attend med school, so as to avoid turning down an offer of admission.

Your stats - as above average for DO schools as they may be, are irrelevant now. It's your committment to attending that will be in question. Good luck.

I agree with the above poster. However, you have likely shut the DO door for yourself. Based on stats kept by my undergrad there has only been two students to get a subsequent acceptance to a DO school after turning down the first admissiont to any DO school [in the last 5 years].

In one case the person couldn't relocated because she her mother was diagnosed with cancer and she was the sole care-taker. Unfortunately, her mother died and she subsequently was admitted when she re-applied.

In the other case, the person got married and his bride couldn'tmove far away (don't remember the reason but she might have been a medical resident). And this re-applied the following year.

If your stats are far above DO, I would definitely focus your efforts on MD. It's fairly unlike (though not impossible) that you will be admitted to a DO school.

The thing you have going for you is you did NOT matriculate. Had you done that then I'd say with confidence you have no hope. But, since you didn't you still might have a chance (albeit not a great one).

I agree with the above poster. However, you have likely shut the DO door for yourself. Based on stats kept by my undergrad there has only been two students to get a subsequent acceptance to a DO school after turning down the first admissiont to any DO school [in the last 5 years].

In one case the person couldn't relocated because she her mother was diagnosed with cancer and she was the sole care-taker. Unfortunately, her mother died and she subsequently was admitted when she re-applied.

In the other case, the person got married and his bride couldn'tmove far away (don't remember the reason but she might have been a medical resident). And this re-applied the following year.

If your stats are far above DO, I would definitely focus your efforts on MD. It's fairly unlike (though not impossible) that you will be admitted to a DO school.

The thing you have going for you is you did NOT matriculate. Had you done that then I'd say with confidence you have no hope. But, since you didn't you still might have a chance (albeit not a great one).

When do you technically matriculate? I've always been confused on what that actually meant.... Do you matriculate when you start your first day of class?

Nevermind... I looked it up... haha..

For those of you who don't know... matriculation (according to AMCAS) is starting your first day or orientation... or whatever first day makes you an official member of the incoming first year class..

As a side note... I think the OP will be fine. It may be an uphill battle for you, but if you want to become a physician... you'll eventually find a way.

Nevermind... I looked it up... haha..

For those of you who don't know... matriculation (according to AMCAS) is starting your first day or orientation... or whatever first day makes you an official member of the incoming first year class..

As a side note... I think the OP will be fine. It may be an uphill battle for you, but if you want to become a physician... you'll eventually find a way.

Doesn't matter if you matriculate or not. They will ask you if you had an acceptance to medical school and you have no choice but to answer truthfully. That, in itself, will make it difficult to get back into a medical school, regardless of MD vs. DO. You must also weigh to fact that you will be losing salary as a physician if you were to take time off to reapply in the time you could be in medical school.

I think that if a school wasn't right for you and you made the choice to turn down the acceptance rather than attend somewhere that you didn't fit, other DO schools won't turn their noses up at you. If you have the stats and your personality is within the normal ranges, you'll find another school. I think people on this thread just think you're crazy to turn down an acceptance...and thus have to repeat the whole application cycle again...but you're the one who can choose that, and your reasons were enough for you...thats really all that matters. You'll be fine. Just make sure you're choosing DO for the right reasons, lots of people with great stats don't get past the admissions committee because they are looking at DO schools as a backup...good luck to you:)

Thanks for the input, guys. I will be applying to several DO schools in addition to the MD schools.

You're just done at that school. The other schools that you are applying to would have no idea about it. But, since you are reapplying I'm assumming you have increased your application?

I knew a guy who was accepted to a DO school and received a deferral. Then applied to MD schools and got into one. I don't recommend this, but if he could do it then I think you will be ok.

You're just done at that school. The other schools that you are applying to would have no idea about it. But, since you are reapplying I'm assumming you have increased your application?

I second this.
You really have no chance at getting back into the school you declined, but as you don't seem to want to go there anyways, that's a non issue.

You still have a chance at getting into another DO school... it's not going to be as straightforward as it was last time, but it's not going to be as difficult as some are making it out to be.

Members don't see this ad :)
i dont get why you would apply to this school again since you clearly didn't want them when they did accept you. just apply to other DO schools and take this one off your list. pretty sure they will remember you declining them aka blacklisted.

i dont get why you would apply to this school again since you clearly didn't want them when they did accept you. just apply to other DO schools and take this one off your list. pretty sure they will remember you declining them aka blacklisted.
I'm not reapplying to that school. I actually was debating even finishing their secondary, but they offered me an interview without me even completing a secondary.

same boat and with a few interviews.

Did it to be closer to fiance to shorten the engagement, didn't mind the school where I was accepted, just too far.

Advice for me when they ask why?

same boat and with a few interviews.

Did it to be closer to fiance to shorten the engagement, didn't mind the school where I was accepted, just too far.

Advice for me when they ask why?

Be honest when they ask. Despite how some people act on here, the people interviewing you are people like you and me. They understand that sometimes circumstances interfere with taking such a huge step like starting medical school.

They may want to know why you didn't "do your homework" before you applied to a school, but I highly doubt they're going to look at it as a fatal mistake. Just be ready if it does happen.

Then again, it may not come up at all.

EDIT: I do know that AMCAS will report this information to MD schools if it was an MD school you declined. Whether or not they address it is up to them. If you declined a DO school no one except DO schools will know. I would assume AACOMAS can't see an MD acceptance (I'm not sure though).

Last edited:
ty, makes sense.
And you're right, circumstances interfere despite how much homework you do. It was after a lot of discussion following an acceptance. Now I am only applying to 6 schools, all commutable.

Be honest when they ask. Despite how some people act on here, the people interviewing you are people like you and me. They understand that sometimes circumstances interfere with taking such a huge step like starting medical school.

They may want to know why you didn't "do your homework" before you applied to a school, but I highly doubt they're going to look at it as a fatal mistake. Just be ready if it does happen.

Then again, it may not come up at all.

EDIT: I do know that AMCAS will report this information to MD schools if it was an MD school you declined. Whether or not they address it is up to them. If you declined a DO school no one except DO schools will know. I would assume AACOMAS can't see an MD acceptance (I'm not sure though).

I turned down a DO acceptance a year before I got into an MD granting institution. No one walks in this person's shoes, so try to not make such a rash judgement call on him. Regrettably, there still are differences between MD and DO programs, and especially between the different schools for each program type (RVCOM vs PCOM or WashU vs Morehouse). Is it possible to develop into a plastic surgeon from each route? I don't want to turn this thread into a MD vs DO thread, but just trying to tell you that each school is different, each program is different, each city is different, tuition is different, families factor into these decisions, etc.

I was totally transparent with my application history during my interviews the following year. I got into the school of my dreams, through EDP, and haven't ever looked back.

I don't regret it the slightest bit.

PS. This thread is full of complete lies. Be honest with the admission committee, in regards to your previous cycle and why you decided to pass on that acceptance. Also, your decision to turn down that acceptance does not infer that you "have a lack of commitment to attend medical school", or any other bogus claim that has been made above. It simply says that you didn't like the school, city, tuition, etc or had a personal/family issue that prevented you from accepting that offer. Simple as that. Medical school acceptances are an offer of acceptance. They are not some soul-binding agreement that you have to sign in blood, and you will be barred from any other institution if you fail to accept the offer in the first place.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I turned down a DO acceptance a year before I got into an MD granting institution. No one walks in this person's shoes, so try to not make such a rash judgement call on him. Regrettably, there still are differences between MD and DO programs, and especially between the different schools for each program type (RVCOM vs PCOM or WashU vs Morehouse). Is it possible to develop into a plastic surgeon from each route? I don't want to turn this thread into a MD vs DO thread, but just trying to tell you that each school is different, each program is different, each city is different, tuition is different, families factor into these decisions, etc.

I was totally transparent with my application history during my interviews the following year. I got into the school of my dreams, through EDP, and haven't ever looked back.

PS. This thread is full of complete lies. Be honest with the admission committee, in regards to your previous cycle and why you decided to pass on that acceptance. Also, your decision to turn down that acceptance does not infer that you "have a lack of commitment to attend medical school", or any other bogus claim that has been made above. It simply says that you didn't like the school, city, tuition, etc or had a personal/family issue that prevented you from accepting that offer. Simple as that. Medical school acceptances are an offer of acceptance. They are not some soul-binding agreement that you have to sign in blood, and you will be barred from any other institution if you fail to accept the offer in the first place.

Ahh, I did this too. Just reapplied and have been accepted (DO). They asked about it, i told them that the school was not a good fit for me. They thought that was a mature decision. The fact that i was accepted and did not attend was in my LOR from my health professions committee too. So, basically, it doesn't matter. Good luck with apps kid and I hope you get in to a school of your choice.

I doubt you will get an interview at the DO school you rejected, but other schools will probably not care. I wouldn't worry about it.

How do you know this? I mean, I always hear that MD schools look down upon reapplicants when you reject an acceptance offer. I'm facing a similar situation. I feel that I'm not ready to go to medical school and the tuition at the school is sky high plus living expenses. When I applied for this upcoming year, I thought I was mentally prepared but now just the idea of it all scares me. I still do want to become a doctor, but I feel I'm not mentally prepared.

I figured I'd update. 3 interviews from MD schools, so far 2 waitlists (fingers crossed) and one pending. Applied late to 2 DO schools and received invites from both. Really hoping that I can pull through on one of the MD state schools i interviewed at. Wish me luck!

I figured I'd update. 3 interviews from MD schools, so far 2 waitlists (fingers crossed) and one pending. Applied late to 2 DO schools and received invites from both. Really hoping that I can pull through on one of the MD state schools i interviewed at. Wish me luck!

Good Luck!!!!! I hope you get the acceptance you want!!!

I'm rooting for you, hopefully u get multiple acceptances...:xf::xf:

congrats!

Last edited:
I doubt you will get an interview at the DO school you rejected, but other schools will probably not care. I wouldn't worry about it.

I think it might make a difference if the OP got an acceptance and failed to decline it until (or after) the school's matriculation day. If you get an acceptance and don't intend to matriculate, you need to let the school know ASAP. The reason for this is that the school is keeping your spot and you are denying someone else who's on their waitlist. That's unfair to both the school and the wait-listed applicants. Unless you have a real good reason for bailing out at the last moment, you could (and should be IMHO) "dinged." :)

I don't think a school will keep your seat if you don't send in the deposit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know someone who declined three MD acceptances because he didn't like any of the schools enough, reapplied the next year, and actually got in somewhere he wanted to go.

I'm guessing that's not typical, but it is possible. Just be prepared to talk about why that school wasn't right for you, and why any schools you're considering now are.

I knew a guy who was accepted to a DO school and received a deferral. Then applied to MD schools and got into one. I don't recommend this, but if he could do it then I think you will be ok.

Can you tell me more about this? I didn't think this was possible.

How did this work out for you? Did you apply to DO schools that year? I am in a similar position and I'm confused as to what to do.

How did this work out for you? Did you apply to DO schools that year? I am in a similar position and I'm confused as to what to do.

Well, I'm a first year attending now in my dream job/location. I'm glad I turned down to DO spot, but that's by I was able to get into my state MD school the following year. If I was flipping burgers these days my thought might be different...

Well, I'm a first year attending now in my dream job/location. I'm glad I turned down to DO spot, but that's by I was able to get into my state MD school the following year. If I was flipping burgers these days my thought might be different...

Haha I bet! Congratulations! Did you apply to DO schools or just MD schools the year after you declined the DO acceptance?