reapplying to DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phi Psi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am curious whether or not applications get compared side by side if I reapply. More specifically, I want to know whether its a big deal if I keep most of my personal statement and primary app as is.. I believe that I was not accepted due to the fact that i applied VERY late in the cycle and that I dont have the most stellar GPA rather than my primary app lacking (I was granted many secondaries, interviewed and was waitlisted at one school).

anyways, its not that I'm lazy, I just think my personal statement is very well written and my application itself is solid therefore i dont see much of a reason to brush that up. I have been making improvements in my gpa and am applying on time this round.

Members don't see this ad.

I am curious whether or not applications get compared side by side if I reapply. More specifically, I want to know whether its a big deal if I keep most of my personal statement and primary app as is.. I believe that I was not accepted due to the fact that i applied VERY late in the cycle and that I dont have the most stellar GPA rather than my primary app lacking (I was granted many secondaries, interviewed and was waitlisted at one school).

anyways, its not that I'm lazy, I just think my personal statement is very well written and my application itself is solid therefore i dont see much of a reason to brush that up. I have been making improvements in my gpa and am applying on time this round.

Change it. You may not be lazy, but you don't want to be perceived that way either. Of course you can keep some parts the same, but I would change most of it. Nothing has changed for you in the past year that you want to communicate? Your passion and desire to become a physician is at the same level as it was a year ago?

What's it take, a few hours to write? Just do it! :D

P.S. I wouldn't bother as much with the other aspects of the application, but re-writing your personal statement is a given.

Last edited:
I'm actually in an extremely similar position as you OP. I am a reapplicant... applied very late last cycle. I ended up getting interviews but cancelled due to other things going on in my life. But yeah, I also changed my PS. It's worth it!

I'm sure you also noticed that you can import your previous cycle's application so you don't have to redo the whole primary again. The activities that were already completed as of last cycle, I just kept exactly the same in this cycle's primary. No point in changing that stuff, right? But for PS, definitely.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's a big difference in reapplying and re-interviewing. Most of us ont he AdCom don't even note if you're reapplying. However, if you're re-interviewing, that essay had better be different, and filled with examples of how you're a better candidate this time around.

I'm actually in an extremely similar position as you OP. I am a reapplicant... applied very late last cycle. I ended up getting interviews but cancelled due to other things going on in my life. But yeah, I also changed my PS. It's worth it!

I'm sure you also noticed that you can import your previous cycle's application so you don't have to redo the whole primary again. The activities that were already completed as of last cycle, I just kept exactly the same in this cycle's primary. No point in changing that stuff, right? But for PS, definitely.

What you're describing is a good way to prove to the schools in fact, you are actually lazy and are not serious about applying. You can bet they will look at your old application if they're considering you for interview.

There's a big difference in reapplying and re-interviewing. Most of us ont he AdCom don't even note if you're reapplying. However, if you're re-interviewing, that essay had better be different, and filled with examples of how you're a better candidate this time around.

I just submitted my primaries last year but after than never sent in any secondaries to the schools.

I'm still going to change my personal statement but do they both to check for people like me (who didn't go further than submitting primaries)?