Reapplying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krodriguez

Tufts class of 2012!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who reapplied and were successful the second time, what did you do differently the second time? I know it's different for everyone, but I'm just interested in what people worked on. Did you go for the interview with admissions to see what you needed to improve on? Did they give you specific feedback? Did you rewrite your personal statement? Do you need to rewrite your personal statement if you are applying the next year?

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't applied to vet school yet, but I would think in order to make yourself more competitive the next year, you should improve the areas you believed to be "weak." For example, if you think your GRE score is low compared to the others applying, perhaps you could try to raise your GRE score. Or, in a year, you could drastically improve your experience if that was an area of concern. For example, you could get more hours in various areas (small animal, large animal, exotic, etc.) or focus on one particular area of interest, depending on your preference.

I think rewriting the personal statement would be extremely beneficial because you could include the important information from the first statement, but update it with your newest experiences (and improvements) throughout the past year (since applying the first time).

Again, I could be way off b/c I haven't applied yet, but just thought I'd share anyway. :)

I didn't get in this year, but am reapplying next year. I scheduled a debriefing session with the admissions folks to find out what I needed to do to improve ... so the fact that you (OP) scheduled a meeting w/Tufts is great! I believe a lot of people rewrote their personal statements the 2nd/3rd/etc time around - hey, you're probably getting more experience and your PS should reflect that. I am definitely rewriting mine. FWIW, the admissions people told me I needed more experience and a stronger PS and interview.

Best of luck! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
my first time around:

applied only to purdue
botched the interview
had recs from vets i worked with years ago
-------
my second time around:

added 9 months/40hr work-weeks veterinary experience
attended WDA conference in CT
completed IWRC basic WR training course in KY
took 4 of purdue's first-year vet classes and got recs from the instructors
updated recs with current vets
took multiple other anatomy grad. courses at purdue
applied to multiple schools
prepared heavily for the interview
made my essay a little less emotional

but then again, i'm a special case (current PhD in English). western wanted me because of my diverse background in teaching/graduate English because they feel i'll be a good asset to the PBL approach. most of the other schools i applied to wrote me off immediately.

This year was my second time applying and I had a lot more schools accept me, and I got into my dream school (davis!!). I re-wrote my personal statement, and since I am interested in a specific field (canine repro) I got a full-time job dealing with that subject matter. I think it can really help if you have a specific goal that you want to meet once you get your DVM, and then show the schools that you are applying to that you are serious about that goal and get experience in that field. I know that this advice won't apply to everyone but it really helped me out..so good luck reapplying and don't give up!!

>>attended WDA conference in CT
completed IWRC basic WR training course in KY<<<<

what are 'WDA', 'IWRC' and 'WR'

???

>>attended WDA conference in CT
completed IWRC basic WR training course in KY<<<<

what are 'WDA', 'IWRC' and 'WR'

???

IWRC is the International Wildlife Rehabilitation Council. WR is basic Wildlife Rehab.

I was there, too!

really, critter??? at murray state?? i can still smell all those dead raptors! (really...doing the repeated IM water injections on them and the squirrels was very, very gross).

wda = wildlife disease association. they held their conference at UConn last august in conjunction with aawv (american assoc. of wildlife vets).

i'm pulling for you sheltergirl! it's pretty remarkable to make waiting lists at the other schools at all (i didn't), and i really think everyone who did should consider themselves proud (and most lilkey shoo-ins for next year). it's so painful, wanting so badly to study something, and then having a group of people who don't know you decide if they feel that you'd be a 'good fit.' keep your chins up.

Hi all!
I ended up having to apply twice. The story is kind of long, but IF I had gotten in the first time, I would have had to defer anyway, so I was kind of glad for the second opportunity.

First time I applied to 7 schools. No interviews, no requests for secondary apps, nothing. Bummed out, but distracted from the personal stuff.

Second year, in hospital bed when VMCAS opens up. Tell family "no way, NOTHING CHANGED" (I had only gotten in 1 quarter of school that year). Hubby and Daddy brought me laptop, said "DO IT, NO EXCUSES" (they were really mean- I was on morphine, so very suggestible).

I filled out the forms (everything but the LOR's), and went back to school for summer. Did 2 sessions working at the UC Davis Veterinary Pathology lab as an intern. Killed lots of mice, did hundreds of necropsies. Then, with less than a week before the eLOR's were due, hit up the head Dr. to write me a letter. I had literally only seen him twice (once for the interview, once for employee lunch). Was THRILLED when he said he would do it.

Also went and re-took the GRE. BIG mistake. Did worse than the first time. If you are going to do that, take the d*mn class with an expert. I suck.

In any case, I applied to 10 schools and was "granted" 2 interviews: Davis and MSU. Traveled halfway across the country during finals to interview here. Had to explain myself (Why did you apply to so many schools? Don't ever answer "I was trying to increase my odds.") Anyhow, both interviews went great, but only was accepted here. That's ok, I wasn't really into Davis, anyway (but the financial difference is HUGE).

I mainly would suggest taking the "year" to get in more experience- even go outside your comfort zone... I am so way not into Lab Animal Med or Path, but I knew it would show me as adaptable to new situations, and give me some sx experience as a bonus (not to mention the letter- I really needed a better letter).

I also would suggest taking some more classes to raise up the GPA. This is easier for some than for others. I graduated with over 300 units in undergrad. One or two measly classes (even 5 unit ones) were not going to raise my GPA substantially, so I added a minor in something out of my comfort zone (well, not really, I have always been good in English classes). That looks good as well- again with the "rounding" thing. (I present to you the reason that I am overweight is that the Vet Schools wanted me to be round, so I complied:eek:)

Finally, the PS is personal, that's why its called that. I did "revamp" mine, but did not fully re-write it... and then I had every English student and tutor and mentor and person on the street read it and suggest changes. I got some really good suggestions, and the thing looked brand new- new eyes really can make the difference- even if the thing is "personal."

I am almost done rambling. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ALL OF THE PRE-REQ's covered for all the schools you apply to. It costs too much to take a shot in the dark through VMCAS. (don't ask me how I know). That can really help you narrow down the list- whatever you do, don't try to add in EVERY CLASS for EVERY SCHOOL in this one year- it sucks, and you probably won't get admitted to any of those schools, anyway (take it from me- I took 2 quarters worth of Economics to apply to Auburn and VA-MD... and was rejected as soon (maybe even before!) as the packet was sent).

I am pulling for you guys. It's what you want, and I am so happy for you to be so determined to get it! (Be prepared to hate me for encouraging you... I talk to my old mentor and ask him why he helped me... Vet School really does kind of suck- it's really hard, but you don't believe me, do you???)

Good luck.
J

I would strongly suggest you set up a meeting with admissions at the school/schools you are interested in. I did not get in the first time I applied and I was pretty much told EXACTLY what I needed to do to strengthen my application...even tips on how to make my personal statement better! I did what I was told and got in the next time I applied.

I applied to one school this year, got an interview and totally bombed it. It was like an out-of-body experience where you could hear the crap coming out of your mouth but were powerless to stop it...

Anyway, I decided to take the year off from teaching and do every single thing to improve my application that they suggested, and if I still don't get in, pfft on them, I'll just go into the PhD program I deferred until Fall 2008.

That being said, I am:

1. working for a large animal vet this summer for free, because I needed some large animal experience
2. Working for lessons at a barn so I can get some equine experience, even if a lot of it is going to be shovelling poop
3. Going to some professional conferences, even if as someone suggested in another thread it looks like a transparent attempt to suck up to VCMAS. I think it is fine as long as it is a topic I am interested in, plus I don't mind sucking up, it just means I care!
4. Take a poorly paid job at a clinic, emergency hopefully, in the fall so I can get some health insurance, which I will need since I will be eating only ramen on a vet assistant salary
5. reading subscriptions to The Horse and the like so I will have a deeper understanding of issues that I have had no personal experience with
6. Ripping off lots of the questions from the interview forum posts, formulating ideas of how to answer them, and letting people ask me the questions, even though it is really embarrassing. I will start this a few months before so I don't sound like such an idjit as I did this year.
7. Apply to the out of state schools that take a reasonable number of out-of-state apps, crushing debt be d*mned! :)

This is based on what my weaknesses were as described in my post interview session: lack of experience, a feeling that I did not know enough about the profession, and the aforementioned horrific interview. I was so nervous I had to stop twice on the drive down to puke by the side of the road, in the snow, at 5am. Lovely. I think practice will make me less nervous. I am not bothering with more classes as I had tons of hours too as an undergrad and it's just a drop in the bucket, and I had great GRE scores so no need to go though that h@ll again.

Guess we'll find out next year if it works!
Good luck to all of us:p

((((fargeese))))) i bet i bombed the purdue interview more than you bombed (minus the regurgitation). i ended up going on a whole analytical tirade about diagnosing wet effluvial fip in my cat. totally a mistake. when i said i wanted to do epidemiology, they laughed at me. well, one of them did. the other just scowled the whole time and looked at the clock.

in other words, i understand:oops:

really, critter??? at murray state?? i can still smell all those dead raptors! (really...doing the repeated IM water injections on them and the squirrels was very, very gross).

wda = wildlife disease association. they held their conference at UConn last august in conjunction with aawv (american assoc. of wildlife vets).

Yep, Murray State. And I agree. It was rather...odiferous.

Does anyone know where the IWRC is going to be next year (if they have announced it yet)?