Rearview Mirror: I've got Matchitis, and the only Rx is...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Boo. My cable is out so I have to find a better way to cure my matchitis than "What not to wear" or "The Daily Show". Maybe I should go work at the hospital... On second thought, I do have guitar hero -- maybe it's time to hone my skills.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone else absolutely exhausted? I only have three interivews left (just cancelled 2, thank god), but i'm feeling really burned out... and studying for 2CK at the same time isn't helping. Sigh.

Of course... I still find plenty of time to procrastinate :)

Anyone else absolutely exhausted? I only have three interivews left (just cancelled 2, thank god), but i'm feeling really burned out... and studying for 2CK at the same time isn't helping. Sigh.

Completely exhausted. Not from interviewing. Just life.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not looking forward to surgery. At least I have EM to look forward to after surgery #1 is over. Too bad after that I have surgery #2. ugh.

Just got back to the ALB. Random thoughts from my Xmas trip:

1. Involuntary twelve-hour layovers are not fun.
2. The architect who designed the place must have just finished a career in the tin can industry, because O'Hare has the same same shape and heating as one.
3. Stewardesses are not physically required to fly the plane. Nevertheless, your plane will be delayed if the attendant for your flight oversleeps.
4. United can cancel over 200 flights in one day and stay in buisness.
5. Customer service desks should be manned - O'Hare's aren't.
6. Getting a ticket via standby is not determined by seniority - 1st class flyers always go ahead of you, no matter how long you've been waiting.
7. Being at home for the holidays...makes it all worthwhile. :D

Got some good gifts. Will try out my new video game this week. Mission for the week: accomplishing as little as possible. :laugh:

4th year planning meeting took place the week before my break. 3 out of the 10 months of our 4th year have to be done here. Classmates are already emailing each other, trying to see who's interested in staying on a partial lease. It's like rats leaving a sinking ship.

Though, I plan on being one of those rats :smuggrin:

With half of 3rd year gone, I can see the end of the tunnel!

I guess there is a possibility that some NYE activities would get rid of some pre-match anxiety for a while. Unless you were working...

I guess there is a possibility that some NYE activities would get rid of some pre-match anxiety for a while. Unless you were working...
I had a great NYE. Real simple - just spent time with loved ones. I hope everyone else had a good, safe time.

For those finished with interviews (thus beginning Matchitis season), be sure to participate in the up-coming 2009 applicant survey.

Loving the surgery rotation I'm on right now. Not loving like going to change my future profession, but loving as in only had to show up twice this week. And almost every week will have a day off, and when going in have shorter days (maybe 6-8 hours). This is a specialized surgery month, generalized is coming up in a few months and I heard it is much worse.

Wish I weren't sick. Felt sick early last week but thought the feeling would pass. Instead keeps getting worse by the day. Feel like the living dead right now (but still no pain and no fever). One of these days I'm sure the immune system should be able to kick this.

Members don't see this ad :)

Yes- I wish this was like any other job system where you could interview at 1-2 places and they make an offer in a reasonable time. Bing Bang Bong you are done and know where you are going and have the contract to prove it.

You guys both lucked out. I had only one week and had to go back last week. For the abnormally long rotation (5 weeks - usually 4). Good thing it's with nice surgeons and I can only go in 3-4 days a week :)

feel like death warmed over right now. and this is the good time of day for me. a few more hours and I will feel worse again. Extra long weekend and I get sick. Typical.

Yup. But when it leads straight into 3 months of IM..ugh. At least I have outpatient last so I have no excuse not to study for my shelf.

That sucks... I just finished IM and as terrible as it was, we only have 8 weeks of it. Though we take the same shelf as those with 12 weeks of IM. We compensate by having 8 weeks of Psych. What a waste!

That sucks... I just finished IM and as terrible as it was, we only have 8 weeks of it. Though we take the same shelf as those with 12 weeks of IM. We compensate by having 8 weeks of Psych. What a waste!

Yuck! I would rather have 12 weeks of IM. Then again, I had a fairly pleasant IM experience.

Odd things happen...just found out one of my parents' neighbors decided they just didn't feel good and needed to go to the ED. Family 20 min away. Calls family has them come pick him up and bring him to the nearest ED which is about a 30 min drive. So, at best, 50 min has passed since he decided he wasn't feeling good. Found to have an aortic dissection in the early stages, went off to surgery and is doing well.

Sadly my first question was...why not call 911? Answer: they are at least 10-15 min away and they figured family may get them there faster. Small town stubbornness that says you don't call 911 unless someone is dead or your house is burned down. They don't like to inconvenience people for "the little things." In a way, I wish this attitude would carry out further than small towns, but it needs a little combination with the not hesitant to call for help too.

For you who have never been in a small town: minutes = miles.

woohoo! passed IM shelf!

OU once again choked in its bid to become national champion.

:highfive:

Man I lead a boring life. Wish the boyfriend was around so that I would feel like going out and doing something. Kind of boring to go by yourself.

Ravens!! So awesome. And I'm not even on call next Sunday so I can watch it.

Wow you are up late! I thought I was one of few with a screwed up schedule. So I slept in (past noon) and then had a nap this afternoon. But now I'm awake :rolleyes: Well, maybe getting tired again...

I wish I were more of a morning person instead of night person. Have to be up in 4 hours and still not too terribly tired at all.

Switching around to a new psych location (geri-psych). Totally got roped in by a few folks' pathology. :rolleyes: :thumbdown: It will be a good rotation, just seems that the folks are that much more active than the last place I was (inpatient crisis).

Sat down with the dean and planned out 4th year (assuming I don't get to go to the NIH). She only pointed out a few problems, stuff that's easy to fix.

BTW, for those who love XBOX and the movie "Aliens," I reccommend "Dead Space." :cool:

I can't seem to get enough sleep in the afternoons.

...and now, time for a random, blast from the past banana!
:banana:

Hope all is well (i'mfinethanksbutverybusynotimetologonverysorrywishingapplicantsandallothersthebest) :smuggrin:

Hope all is well (i'mfinethanksbutverybusynotimetologonverysorrywishingapplicantsandallothersthebest) :smuggrin:

It's peanut butter jelly time!

Nice to see you are alive!!!!

So they do have the internet out there after all! :laugh: Good to see you doing well. Give us a more in-depth update some time.

RxnMan: Sir, how is your mood today?
Pt: Good. Hey, can you help me?
RxnMan: Help you with what?
Pt: You need to help my wife, she's getting beat up by these guys.
RxnMan: I've talked to your wife before, sir. Nobody's hurt her, and she's not injured.
Pt: She won't tell you. She's scared of men.
RxnMan: Our (female) nurses have also talked to your wife, and your wife told them the same thing she told me.
Pt (pops his collar up over his ears): What was that? I can't hear you, I'm deaf.
RxnMan: Sir, I know that you can hear me.
Pt: No I can't hear you, I told you, I'm deaf.
RxnMan: Of course you heard me, because you responded to me.
Pt (puts on his sunglasses): What? Who said that? See these shades? I wear these 'cause I'm blind.

I think I can I think I can

So stressed I think I wore myself out.

Having a hard time on Psych, amazingly. My attending has pretty high standards, and he likes to pimp. I'll learn a lot, but it's painful.

Having a hard time on Psych, amazingly. My attending has pretty high standards, and he likes to pimp. I'll learn a lot, but it's painful.

Mine was the same way but had increased hours too. Psych is still the rotation I've had with the longest hours. Crazy.

Pretty much off the rest of the week. Now I remember why I liked this rotation.

So I'm having trouble deciding how to schedule 4th year. Not looking for elective choices, just the big things - CK, CS, EM (@home), EM (Away), general interview season. We can take off a month for CK in either Aug, Sept, and Oct. I have to take EM @home and my away in one of these months to get SLORs for ERAS. And where I want to do my away, they are offset 2 weeks from my school. Tenetively:

Aug 1-31st - EM @ home
(Sept 1 - ERAS App done)
Sept 1-15th - some 2-week elective
Sept 16th-Oct 15th - EM Away
Oct 15th - Nov 15th - Study for, & take, CK
Nov 15th - Dec 31st - Do interviews/CS/Vaca

Does this work with the general EM interview season? Is 6 weeks during the holidays enough for ~13 interviews? Should I push things back to Jan 15th or later?