Rearview Mirror: I've got Matchitis, and the only Rx is...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I'm having trouble deciding how to schedule 4th year. Not looking for elective choices, just the big things - CK, CS, EM (@home), EM (Away), general interview season. We can take off a month for CK in either Aug, Sept, and Oct. I have to take EM @home and my away in one of these months to get SLORs for ERAS. And where I want to do my away, they are offset 2 weeks from my school. Tenetively:

Aug 1-31st - EM @ home
(Sept 1 - ERAS App done)
Sept 1-15th - some 2-week elective
Sept 16th-Oct 15th - EM Away
Oct 15th - Nov 15th - Study for, & take, CK
Nov 15th - Dec 31st - Do interviews/CS/Vaca

Does this work with the general EM interview season? Is 6 weeks during the holidays enough for ~13 interviews? Should I push things back to Jan 15th or later?

I'm having some dilemmas too..because I have 2 mos off to study and take boards. I wonder when the new set of SLORs will be up. Here's my tentative schedule:

mid-June to mid-Aug: study and take PE and CK
mid-Aug to beginning of Nov: different EM rotations (home and away)
Nov and Dec: outside electives and cardio (required)
Jan: elective

(match in Feb...hopefully)

Because of the extra study time, I don't get a "set" time off for interviews, so hoping I will be on forgiving rotations and can make up for it by being on call more or there on weekends when possible. The SLOR is my dilemma because the apps will be due before I finish the rotation.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh and for the list of things I hate for the week:

Insurance companies, financial aid (lack thereof), and computers.

I know there is a thread out there, but couldn't find it...anyone know when the new SLORs are available? (or you can redirect me to the thread I couldn't find)

ps...I hate this scheduling thing.

one more edit: I feel like a little lost dog who has no clue what's going on or how to go about things.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
2 EM months reserved. At least I know I have that. As for the rest, I guess I will just have to wait (longer application process - as in I can't just call and schedule a rotation).

My application to the NIH is finally...um, finished!

:banana::banana::banana:

I've been told that I'm one of 120 applicants this year. They usually interview ~60 and 30 participate in the program, so I've still got an uphill battle for a spot. I should find out in mid-Feb if I got an interview.

My application to the NIH is finally...um, finished!

:banana::banana::banana:

I've been told that I'm one of 120 applicants this year. They usually interview ~60 and 30 participate in the program, so I've still got an uphill battle for a spot. I should find out in mid-Feb if I got an interview.

:luck::luck::luck:

For the record, if you've never had bilateral corneal abrasions, don't ever think that the guy in the eye room just absolutely dying of pain is faking it.

Also, laser eye surgery works, but hurts like hell for the first 24 hours.

for the record, if you've never had bilateral corneal abrasions, don't ever think that the guy in the eye room just absolutely dying of pain is faking it.

Also, laser eye surgery works, but hurts like hell for the first 24 hours.

ouch!!!!!!

Thanks. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity for me, and I'm real excited. I've had projects that had the potential to make changes in medicine before (like patentable changes), but they never materialized for one reason or another. I'm hoping to get hooked in with a good project and a good team, and do solid science with tangble results.

Thanks. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity for me, and I'm real excited. I've had projects that had the potential to make changes in medicine before (like patentable changes), but they never materialized for one reason or another. I'm hoping to get hooked in with a good project and a good team, and do solid science with tangble results.

That's great!

Apt is finally clean!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap:

Yes, was excited to have time off and have gotten a lot accomplished this week. A few more things to do, but the major projects are done (and all the little things I fell behind on like oil change).

Members don't see this ad :)
Fixed it for you :laugh:

Seriously, we've had very few entries this year.

:smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin:

I plan to do mine next year. I will end up contributing (hopefully) reviews that aren't on here as I am hoping to go the osteo route (which are lacking reviews big time).

em2be said:
Nice to see you are alive!!!!
So they do have the internet out there after all! :laugh: Good to see you doing well. Give us a more in-depth update some time.

Haha, you guys! Well, I used to think, "damn, I know internship is busy but how come they can't post more often?" Now I know! :laugh:

I am loving residency (especially this week because I'm on EMS and just had my 1st Air Squad shift, which left me so jazzed I can't sleep :D)! But at the end of the day I just want to watch reality tv and cop shows and veg out. Oh, and try to eat properly, exercise occasionally, pay my bills, keep in contact with friends and family, and study. This already adds up to 30hours in a day, which means a lot of it gets dropped. :oops:

However, the magnet of matchitis on this forum was too great to resist!!! Best of luck! :clap:

Hello? Hello?...Hello?....Hello?

Jeez, did this thread die without me?

It's been over 24 hours without a post on this thread! :eek:

It's been over 24 hours without a post on this thread! :eek:

That happens a lot now that all of you left us. We need new recruits. I would post more, but I don't like talking to myself that much.

But sometimes that's who you have to talk to in order to find an appreciative audience!

Very true.

We need more than a 2-person thread going here.

+pad+

Note to self - don't set alarm on vibrate..it won't wake you up.

That happens a lot now that all of you left us. We need new recruits. I would post more, but I don't like talking to myself that much.

Gosh this is so sad! Like a starving African child commercial, or the destruction of the rain forest! :(

ok I will post more!

Okay people. We need to wake this thread up! Time for some post-padding.

Fourth Year would so rock with one of these:

2ry12io.jpg

so, I have decided I need to start jogging.

I'm a lazy ass and don't want to, but I'm not getting any younger and it's time to be more cardiovascularly fit

besides I can't be fat, no way! :scared:

hahaha...jogging. Haven't done that in forever. Elliptical is more my style. Easier on my body. Wish I had free access to a gym. Will during the month of Feb though :) Can't wait.

And no, the body doesn't tolerate the cold well enough to go outside and exercise.

hahaha...jogging. Haven't done that in forever. Elliptical is more my style. Easier on my body. Wish I had free access to a gym. Will during the month of Feb though :) Can't wait.

And no, the body doesn't tolerate the cold well enough to go outside and exercise.

yeah if I had gym access and the discipline to go there I would do something softer

I'm in cali so the weather isn't so bad

So my fun for the day - going to go out for brunch for the first time. Decide to go pick up meds first. Get flat. No brunch + tire replacement + 4 hrs later = Me at computer being lazy. Should do laundry/pack. Later.

I've been searching for a Rappaport-Sprague stethoscope for about 4 months. I was in the ED today, and one of my attendings is chewing the fat, and with his stethoscope in hand, says "This is so old, I need to get it replaced." Lo and behold, it was a R-S! I made him an offer on the spot. He wasn't interested in selling :mad:

So close, yet so far...

Finally watched "Iron Man."

Cool movie, but I think I missed my calling in life. Billionaire industrial genius playboy seems like it'd be much more fun than simply being a doc...

I think we should see a few more random posts before an answer comes along ;);)
Watched "There will be blood" and "Eastern Promises" last night.

Didn't intend it, but there's a lot of similarities between the two. Both have some weird, violent scenes. Neither seem to have a real plot. TWBB is about the life a self-made murdering oil man, and EP is about another self-made murdering mafioso.

Weird.

I've been searching for a Rappaport-Sprague stethoscope for about 4 months. I was in the ED today, and one of my attendings is chewing the fat, and with his stethoscope in hand, says "This is so old, I need to get it replaced." Lo and behold, it was a R-S! I made him an offer on the spot. He wasn't interested in selling :mad:

So close, yet so far...
And later I found two more online, but they were $875 and $650! :eek: I played the 'poor med student' gambit, but it didn't take. :mad:

Watched "There will be blood" and "Eastern Promises" last night.

Didn't intend it, but there's a lot of similarities between the two. Both have some weird, violent scenes. Neither seem to have a real plot. TWBB is about the life a self-made murdering oil man, and EP is about another self-made murdering mafioso.

Weird.

What brought about the movie night?

What brought about the movie night?
I was going to hang out at the mall (or similar large indoor environment) but the large amount of snow coming down tag-teamed with Hollywood Video's "3 movies for $25" deal, creating a force too great to resist.

I was going to hang out at the mall (or similar large indoor environment) but the large amount of snow coming down tag-teamed with Hollywood Video's "3 movies for $25" deal, creating a force too great to resist.

:smuggrin:

I am super excited for this month. Hopefully the excitement continues after I actually see the rotation.

Will be forced to behave this month. Computer going out. As in will be done in about 45 min (cord jack broke on me - no power = no computer). Now to find a repair shop.

I don't remember - what is so important about this month for you? IM? :confused:

EM - couldn't you tell? And yes, on borrowed computer time. At least this site isn't blocked by the hospital. Time to go to work or whatever you call it.

EM - couldn't you tell? And yes, on borrowed computer time. At least this site isn't blocked by the hospital. Time to go to work or whatever you call it.
Oh. Your "signature schedule" shows you going into IM next (the next rotation not in green).

Have fun! Tell me what texts work best for you.

On the MICA (Medically Insane, Chemically Addicted) unit:

Day 1: New Pt assessment.
NOTE: Pt is on 6 of Xanax and 90 of methadone

Pt (woman in her 50s): Doc, I am terrible around this time of year - my husband died on the 10th, and I just can't be alone! I always get down around the 10th! I think I need help or else I'll hurt myself!?
Attending: Ok, we'll admit you for observation.
Pt: Thank you doctor, thank you!

Day 2: Same Pt.

Pt: Doctor, I think I'm ok now, I think I can go home. I'm all better now.
Attending: But yesterday you were saying you could hurt yourself. Besides, we just took you off of your Xanax, which was probably contributing to your depression.
Pt: But couldn't you take me off of the methadone instead?
Attending: We don't want to add to your stress, especially during this time of year.
Pt: What does it matter what time of year it is?

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

More from the MICA unit:

New Pt assessment.
Attending: So Mr Smith, tell me why you're here.
Pt: Well, I'm hearing voices. And I feel like killing myself. It's the PTSD, THE PTSD, man.
Attending: OK. Tell me what's the worst thing that has happened in your life.
Pt: ??? What do you mean?
Attending: I think it's pretty self-explanatory: What is the worst thing that's happened to you in your life?
Pt: I don't know.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Oh. Your "signature schedule" shows you going into IM next (the next rotation not in green).

Have fun! Tell me what texts work best for you.

hahaha...I love the way I did that signature. I did it randomly so that no one could fully track me down. And red is finished, green is to go.