Reason for being a doctor.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ravin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello.
I started volunteering at a hospital, where I thought it would be a good place to ask some residents and nurse why they went into their respective fields.
Answers I got were:
I don't know, it was so long ago.
It's intelectually challenging.
It's interesting.
Good job security.

You get the idea.

I want to make sure that I'm doing this for the right reason. What are some of the reasons you guys are going into medicine? I feel like I want it, but I'm not sure why.
Thanks,
ravin

Members don't see this ad.

Call me cynical, but every time I read these threads I think of some guy looking for things to put in their personal statement. But that's just me. If you don't know why you want to do medicine, then maybe you should rethink doing it.

I know why I want to do it, but I just want to know if other people share my sentiments and that its a good reason for continuing this path.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree. Too many people fish for reasons to put in their personal statement. If you want to be a doctor, then who cares why other people want it? I'm sure their reasons are similar to yours. Asking an overworked and underpaid resident/nurse why they went into healthcare is definitely not going to get you the answer you want.

ravin said:
Hello.
I started volunteering at a hospital, where I thought it would be a good place to ask some residents and nurse why they went into their respective fields.

You are asking the wrong people. Nurses go home early, and the residents don't get to go home. Find a physician leader in the hospital or a rural doctor who works out of his own clinic.

People, there is a bloody SEARCH option on this forum. At over a million some posts, you'd think this question was asked and answered a few thousand times. Actually, there's a big thread on it within a few pages. Sheesh.

ravin said:
Hello.
Answers I got were:
It's interesting.
Good job security.

You get the idea.

I want to make sure that I'm doing this for the right reason. What are some of the reasons you guys are going into medicine? I feel like I want it, but I'm not sure why.
Thanks,
ravin
Ask yourself why you like going to the hospital to volunteer. What kind of doctor do you see yourself being (not specialty). I think if you answer some of these questions it will be clearer.

ravin said:
Hello.
Answers I got were:
It's interesting.
Good job security.

You get the idea.

Thanks,
ravin

my 4c: if you want to be a doctor for some combination of the reasons you quoted (of course, as a premed, you're required to add "help people" to that list), then you can count yourself in the company of virtually every other MD applicant in the world. honestly, i don't know of any interviewer/essay reader that really want some crazy original answer for this question-- its more of a generic way to see how you express your interest.

some (valid) reasons i've heard that should probably NOT get written about:
-my parent died
-i want to helping humanity or society at large
-because everyone else in my family is doing it
-because i want respect

some less valid valid reasons i've heard that should DEFINITELY not get written about:
-i want to make a s&!tload of $$$
-i like cutting
-i think i could be a master diagnostician (i've actually heard this one said out loud)

so, yeah. you can sell **** for toothpaste, and they'll buy it if you 've got a good pitch.

TTSD said:
People, there is a bloody SEARCH option on this forum. At over a million some posts, you'd think this question was asked and answered a few thousand times. Actually, there's a big thread on it within a few pages. Sheesh.

It's a newbie man, give 'em a break.

"some (valid) reasons i've heard that should probably NOT get written about:
-my parent died
-because i want respect "

I just wanted to politely disagree with these thoughts. I think that a parent dying (or becoming disabled), wanting to contribute something meaningful to society, or because you want to choose a respectable profession that is respected by others are all valid reasons to become a doctor (among others of course)...Maybe its important to explain these in more depth than other more obvious reasons, but I don't think there's anything inherently bad in these reasons...I think they are legitimate and honest answers...except for "the everyone else in my family is doing it" because that definitely sounds bad...

ravin said:
Thanks,
ravin

Yea, I've told a couple PAs and nurses at the hospital that I really do want to help people and a few of them have laughed at me :(. Also, I told my pediatrician I wanted to become a doctor...and he was really sarcastic when he told me,

"How come? You wanna help people?"
"Yea."
"Why do you really wanna be a doctor?"
"To help people."
*laughing* "Ok."

Kinda discouraging when people do this to you, but you gotta keep your head up cause everyone has their own reasons. I feel like being a doctor is my calling and I'm pretty sure that most doctors really do find helping people rewarding.

calling, why is it your calling? Some people have the philosophy it is your responsibility. If the most intelligent people in society went into business, we would be screwed. You are in turn helping people...but the reason they laugh, is because you would go into nursing, or assisant nursing if that was your main reason.

Man people ask me this all the time. They say, "Why would you want to be a doctor? Every doctor I have spoken with hates their work and discourages their children from entering the profession!" I hate giving reasons for why I did it. So, I just tell them because of the free drugs. Now they don't ask me anything anymore.

adamj61 said:
calling, why is it your calling? Some people have the philosophy it is your responsibility. If the most intelligent people in society went into business, we would be screwed. You are in turn helping people...but the reason they laugh, is because you would go into nursing, or assisant nursing if that was your main reason.

Because it's a gut feeling I get that I won't be happy doing anything else. It's the only profession that I can think of that "makes sense" for me. You can argue that ANY job helps people, I believe I can make the most impact as a doctor. Oh, and they should not be laughing when I tell them this, it's incredibly rude.

ifailedmcat said:
Yea, I've told a couple PAs and nurses at the hospital that I really do want to help people and a few of them have laughed at me :(. Also, I told my pediatrician I wanted to become a doctor...and he was really sarcastic when he told me,

"How come? You wanna help people?"
"Yea."
"Why do you really wanna be a doctor?"
"To help people."
*laughing* "Ok."

Kinda discouraging when people do this to you, but you gotta keep your head up cause everyone has their own reasons. I feel like being a doctor is my calling and I'm pretty sure that most doctors really do find helping people rewarding.

The reason they laugh is because they remember when they too were young, somewhat naive, and very idealistic, just like the majority of premeds. There are many reasons to go into medicine besides the fact that you want to help people. I think that with some introspection, every applicant should be able to come up with the reasons that THEY are going into medicine, because it varies somewhat across the board. Yes, we all want to help sick people, make important decisions, get respect, and earn a comfortable living. But it is important for each of us to figure out what draws us to this great profession on our own.

I started to volunteer at a local hospital just for some peace of mind and after the first month I would fallow Dr's around to the point of them "shooing" me away.. Never gotten in any trouble, made ton's of friends, saw the joy that a doctor can bring to a person's life and just fell in love with the rush of traumas.. I'm extremely worried that being a horrid student in high school I won't make it. So I always put the extra effort into it, and when ever I don't have the motivation of doing my work I just go and talk a walk thought the ER to see that in 7 years this can be what I?ll call work..

Ravin- I will give you the best piece of advice up till now.....

If you want something on this forums do not make it so obvious, instead do what many SDNers are already doing to solve your concerns

Change your name and write a post along the lines..... 'I am willing to proofread Personal Statements'

If you do this the following things will happen;

1. people will think you are a cool a guy and want to altruistacally help others

2. cynical med students will not detect your alterior motives

and most importantly....

3. you will get to read the reason why other people want to be doctors until you nausated by the idea

and cynical students will not give you a hard time....

Come one Ravin.. you are going to be a doctor

I believe this is the third advice I have given in this thread that will significantly impact the live of an individual.

neuropower said:
"some (valid) reasons i've heard that should probably NOT get written about:
-my parent died
-because i want respect "

I just wanted to politely disagree with these thoughts. I think that a parent dying (or becoming disabled), wanting to contribute something meaningful to society, or because you want to choose a respectable profession that is respected by others are all valid reasons to become a doctor (among others of course)...Maybe its important to explain these in more depth than other more obvious reasons, but I don't think there's anything inherently bad in these reasons...I think they are legitimate and honest answers...except for "the everyone else in my family is doing it" because that definitely sounds bad...

well, for the record, and because i'm bored, i think i *did* say these were valid reasons (as in "some (valid) reasons"), but ones that you should probably not write about. it takes an exceptionally good essayist to say something meaningful on these topics, and not come off sounding like an opportunist ass-- especially with the parent thing. its definitely a strong, real motivation for some people, but if you want to convince an essay reader to admit you, it's hard to find the line between pity and insipiration.

Fusion said:
The reason they laugh is because they remember when they too were young, somewhat naive, and very idealistic, just like the majority of premeds. There are many reasons to go into medicine besides the fact that you want to help people. I think that with some introspection, every applicant should be able to come up with the reasons that THEY are going into medicine, because it varies somewhat across the board. Yes, we all want to help sick people, make important decisions, get respect, and earn a comfortable living. But it is important for each of us to figure out what draws us to this great profession on our own.

Even though I agree with you, I still don't think it's polite to laugh at someone when they are telling you why they want to do something. I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing that everyone has the same reasons. In fact, with so many people entering the field it should be expected.

how do you not make the answer to this seem memorized at interviews? And doesnt your personal statement say why? No need for redundancy =o.

medicine is a fun business. You get to directly help people in the pursuit of profit. It don't get better than that