General Admissions & OTCAS Reason for getting a post-professional OTD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mreowskis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently finishing up my master's in OT and am contemplating about whether or not it's worth getting an OTD. Sure it'll be a financial burden but I think it'd be good to get it over with while I'm still in "school-mode." I also want to run community-based programs in the future and believe that an OTD would be helpful in giving me experience in that. Am I wrong in this belief? Do employers often pay for post-professional OTDs? To people who've entered post-professional OTD programs: what are your reasons behind your decision? How was attending an online program vs an in-person program (since us OTs love hands-on experience)?

x-posted in the indeed forums, but I feel that SDN is more active.

Members don't see this ad.

Based on what I've read so far the only advantages I can think of are:
Ability to lecture
Easier access to theory based research.
Research, research and contributing data to the field of OT

But to be completely honest I don't know much about OTD programs or how they function. If you're looking into community based programs a Ph.D in something related to global health or health systems management, might prove more useful.

Cheers, happy holidays and best of luck with future endeavors.

Maybe worth it. I am mulling it over myself. OTD probably wont give us experience unless it has some type of internship like class. Thomas Jefferson might of have something that address community based programs specifically in their curriculum.

Most employers probably wouldn't cover it (where I'm at). Some places I have checked out give some type of education reimbursement but it is usually under 1k a year.

There is no significant compensation benefit to getting a Post Professional doctorate, and you can teach with your masters...AOTA and NBCOT have said that the masters and the doctorate are going to be dual-entry level professions. So all you'd do is pay more money to say "I have a doctorate." But in reality, to be paid like one, you'll need the PhD.

Reactions: 1 users