Reasons for Choosing Podiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alparkeruab

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if some of you would share with me your reasons for choosing to pursue Podiatry? I would like to know your reasons specifically for Podiatry, not medicine in general. Thanks!

I have another, unrelated question. Are there any good books that anyone could recommend to me to improve my general knowledge of Podiatry? I would like a book that would open my eyes more to Podiatry as a profession. I feel like I don't know enough right now..

Members don't see this ad.

I think many people choose podiatry because of the certainty that if you complete the program and pass the appropriate boards, you have a very good idea of what your daily practice will be like (assuming that you are hard working and realistic). There are advantages to knowing your specialty from the inception of your graduate education.

With MD/DO, there is a lot more uncertainty in my eyes. Many med students or pre-meds start off thinking that they're going to do neurosurgery, ortho, derm, plastics, etc. In some cases, after two years of grades and USMLE results roll in, many of those same students are facing the reality that the only specialty which they may be able to match with is IM (and maybe peds or ER). For some, that will be perfectly fine, and for others, it won't sit well.

As far as improving your knowledge of podiatry, shadowing is the way to go. See first hand what a few different DPMs do and if the career appeals to you. If you want to read a bit, I think Podiatry Today is pretty good and easy to read ( http://www.podiatrytoday.com/ ); you'll have to skip some of the heavy medical articles but can enjoy some content. Good luck, and don't be shy about asking questions here or of the DPMs and residents that you shadow...

Here we go again

:beat:

Please nubs, stop making these threads!

Members don't see this ad :)
Here we go again

:beat:
Yep^

For any pre-pods, there is a very good sticky on this:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=284170

The bottom line is that podiatry school is great for students who know what DPMs do and want to treat F&A patients. One learns more about podiatric practice, like any area of medicine, by shadowing docs and asking questions. Podiatry probably is not very great if a student has no idea what they are getting into and jumps in just because they got rejected/waitlisted for MD/DO school...

I dislike broken feet so I get trained to fix it.

Podiatry is great if you love to help people, know what you are specializing in, ability to choose how you want to practice, and get rewarded for doing good and what Feli said.

hey there, a your question has been posted here before so if you do a quick search in this forum - you will get great great threads and answers related to your inquiry. The overall consensus though regarding your question is that most people who choose podiatry are interested in the variety of procedural medicine. You have limitless options in your practice and have the opportunity to treat various lower extremity pathology with means that range from conservative (orthotics, tappings, etc.), surgery, and pharmaceutically (prescriptions) - so in essence, you get a unique opportunity to really have your patient leaving your office pain-free. This is probably one of the few specialties that allow you to see quick and positive results - your patients leave happy (assuming you've done a great job), and you get the satisfaction in knowing that you've relieved their nagging and painful pathology.