Rec for School List (Reapp)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alveron_

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I applied this cycle and wasn't successful, so I'm starting to prep for reapplication. Although I love my home state (IN), I'm considering applying OOS just to better my chances of acceptance the second time around. MD/DO suggestions are both welcome. These numbers reflect my current stats (some ECs did not exist when I applied this summer). I'm mainly interested in primary care specialties.

(numbers adjusted slightly for anonymity)
GPA: 3.8c, 3.7s
MCAT: 504(1st), 515(2nd)
ECs:
~1500 hrs research - multiple awards, poster presentations, honors thesis, no pubs
~85 hrs teaching assistant
~40 hours leadership in healthcare related student organization
~80 hours shadowing, 40 in IM and 40 in various specialties
~150 hours nonclinical volunteering as a youth service mentor
~30 hours nonclinical volunteering mentoring at-risk children
~30 hours clinical volunteering at hospice (by the time I apply I should have more and will continue through my gap year - I know this is my weakest link)

Thanks much!

Members don't see this ad.

Where did you apply this cycle? Any interviews or wait list?
Whoops sorry, meant to include that but forgot. Primary verified in June. Applied only to IUSM, interviewed in October. I haven't been rejected or waitlisted (those decisions don't come out until after the 15th of this month), but my interview went pretty poorly so I'm not optimistic about getting good news.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest applying to many more schools in June and consider all these:
Indiana
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Eastern Virginia
NOVA MD
Seton Hall
California University
any new schools that may open for 2019 (Kaiser, Roseman)

You applied with 30 hours of clinical experience? Unless you have gotten that up to 150 by the time you reapply, I’d wait a year. You’d be wasting your time again. Search for @gonnif ‘s excellent threads on reapplying too soon. Why did you only apply to one school?

You applied with 30 hours of clinical experience? Unless you have gotten that up to 150 by the time you reapply, I’d wait a year. You’d be wasting your time again. Search for @gonnif ‘s excellent threads on reapplying too soon. Why did you only apply to one school?
Thanks for the advice! I keep getting conflicting information from different people about the importance of clinical hours, but I'll definitely have my hours up before I apply. I applied through IUSM's EDP program, and by the time I was deferred to regular decision it was too late to apply to other schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the advice! I keep getting conflicting information from different people about the importance of clinical hours, but I'll definitely have my hours up before I apply. I applied through IUSM's EDP program, and by the time I was deferred to regular decision it was too late to apply to other schools.

That’s the problem with EDP programs. It makes no sense to me but that’s the policy I guess. Good luck when you apply.