Rec Letter Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Youngm2194

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm getting a composite letter and need to submit rec letters, it says minimum 3 max 7. I will have 2 science and one non-science. These professors know academic ability and personality, but I don't know them that that well. In other words, they won't be weak by any means but they won't be amazing in terms of describing my character because they just don't know me that well in a non-academic setting. I am also getting two from PIs from labs I've worked in, one at an ivy med school which is very good (they wrote it when I worked there 2014), and one from another public med school in which I have first author pub with the PI. That letter should be very very good. In addition to those 5, I was wondering if adding another rec from a professor that I know from a summer program would be worth it. I know them extremely well non academically, like been to house multiple times, know their family etc. and I feel as though this would be an asset to the composite letter when describing my personality and character. Is 6 letters too much? Would this extra letter be useful or is the fact that that don't really know my academic abilities (besides me telling MCAT score etc.) but know my personality very well not as important?

Thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad.

Letters that illustrate facets beyond academics are quite important. However, it is not good to have redundancy in letters--add a letter if you think that it can add value to your application. Also, having a single bad/below average letter can rapidly sink an otherwise stellar application and/or set of letters so choose wisely.

Just to clarify, you are getting a composite letter from a prehealth committee or advisor and the LORs min/max you describe are specifically required for your composite letter and are not individual LOR described by a medical school?

Yes correct thats for the premed committee at a large public top 20, not a specific school

Letters that illustrate facets beyond academics are quite important. However, it is not good to have redundancy in letters--add a letter if you think that it can add value to your application. Also, having a single bad/below average letter can rapidly sink an otherwise stellar application and/or set of letters so choose wisely.

I understand, none of them will be bad I was just saying they may not be able to evaluate me in a non academic setting in which other letters may be able to.