Rec Letter Issue

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SonhosDaVida

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I know that a few MD/PhD programs ask for letters from ALL of your PIs whom you have worked for. But for the schools that don't require that, it should be OK as long as you have stellar letters from your other research mentors. Just keep in mind that letters from your PIs are one of the most important factors in your application. You should do more research on the letter of recommendation requirements for the schools that you are interested in applying to.

I know that a few MD/PhD programs ask for letters from ALL of your PIs whom you have worked for. But for the schools that don't require that, it should be OK as long as you have stellar letters from your other research mentors. Just keep in mind that letters from your PIs are one of the most important factors in your application. You should do more research on the letter of recommendation requirements for the schools that you are interested in applying to.

I contacted a lot of MD-PhD programs and they are really just anal on having at least one PI letter even though some say at least 2 and some say all because some people probably only worked in one lab. I asked one of the schools that require letters from all PIs what would happen if I have worked with a previous PI but only recently started working with a new PI, would I need a letter from them too, they said no. As long as you can justify why you didn't include 2 or all, you're fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think it is ok if I say that the PI never bothered to reply to any of my emails or met me is justification for not asking for a rec letter? I worked with everyone in the Lab, so its hard to pinpoint a specific person to write the rec letter, too, and I have 3 other PI letters. I probably won't even put the letter to the editor on my application since I was a low co-author on it anyways, and I have 3 first author pubs now and 1 co author pub.
dude how do u have so many pubs already? thats awesome

is ok if I say that the PI never bothered to reply to any of my emails or met me

I wouldn't bring it up unless they ask you directly. The other PI letters and pubs that came from research during the intervening 5 years will be enough for adcoms to chew on. They're not going to play color-by-numbers between your CV and stack of letters.