rec letters'.. content??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

think

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello
what should a good recommendation letter have? GPA pcats score? i have no idea
someone told me to let her know what i want in the letter .. and she will write it ...so what should i tell her??
thanx

Members don't see this ad.

wow...that's nice of her.

I guess a good letter would be to let the adcoms know how hardworking, trustworthy, intelligent, compassionate, etc..etc.. you are and how she would have no doubt that you would succeed the pharmacy program and be a great pharmacist.

The only one letter that I got to read was when one of my profs told me to sit next to him when he wrote the letter, it reads, "I highly recommend her" hahaha...that was it!!! I hardly think it's a good letter, but he thought it was good.

i have the same question as the original poster!
i volunteer for a community thing and the person i want to ask a letter of rec for doesn't know what to write in it in order to make it a strong one...

can someone post a list of specific points to hit (in addition to kellybean's suggestions)?

Members don't see this ad :)
You can ask them to write something similar to those:

It is a distinct pleasure to recommend Long Nguyen. I have known him for over two years as a student, and as an employee, so I feel that I can completely describe his abilities. In terms of both his effort and his performance, he is endowed with mental superiority that I have rarely seen in nineteen years at this university.

Long was my student for two Anatomy and Physiology courses and he achieved an A in both courses. As I am considered to be one of the “tough” instructors at the University of Florida, this is not that common an event. However, inspection of his transcripts indicates the reason that he achieved those grades, with apparently little difficulty. The academic background strength of this student is simply incredible. As such, it is clear that Long is definitely an academically superior student. He is flexible, quick, and receptive to instruction. This young man’s oral and written expression are superior. He is refined, insightful, confident, clear, and engaging as a speaker and writer.

Long has also been a teacher assistant helping me to maintain the teaching laboratories. He is very responsible, comes to work on time and finishes his assignments with very little supervision. He goes beyond simply following directions and makes decisions to improve the situation, on his own. His work ethic is high and his performance standards are even higher. Long will have the necessary persistence to succeed in any work environment. Long’s psychological stability and maturity are those of a man much older than he. He is rock solid as a student and as a professional. Additionally, Long is a pleasure to work with having a positive attitude about his work.

Long is quietly confident without being the least bit shy. His academic achievements are so stunning at his young age that they naturally create a confidence that is neither arrogant nor strained. Never shying away from a challenge, Long went on to enroll and succeed in the most demanding science and language courses at the college, where he again passed every intellectual and personal trial with ease and confidence. Clear about his professional goals, he has patiently invested the necessary time and effort to gain admission to a college of pharmacy, where I have no doubt he will bring distinction to whatever institution has the good fortune to attract him.

Personally, Long Nguyen makes a most favorable impression. He smiles easily, makes others feel comfortable in his presence, and exudes the gentle, humble strength of a man who is aware of his extraordinary abilities and accomplishments but chooses not to flaunt them. I give his application for admission my highest possible endorsement.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I am writing this reference letter on behalf of Long Nguyen. Long has asked me to write this letter since he would like to be a pharmacy professional.

I have known Long for about a year, since he is a student in both my section of PHY2054 — General Physics II lecture class and PHY 2049L — Physics Laboratory, during the Fall of 2004. The lecture class consists of 3 hours of lecture and the lab class meets about 3 hours per week. I can state that I know him very well. The reason being, that both lecture and lab sections were small (less than 24 students).

As observed in the classroom and laboratory, Long has many times assisted his peers (in his immediate group and also outside his immediate group) whenever the occasion arose. Long participates fully in the laboratory, working well with his peers to perform experiments. Most times, he takes charge in setting up and collecting data. Long’s lab reports, exam sheets and quizzes are all neatly laid out and well-explained. He is also able to communicate effectively orally. Based on conversations we have had, I can attest to his inquiring mind. He is truly a good thinker and problem solver, which I think are excellent traits for the profession which he wishes to pursue.

During the semester Long maintained good grades even though the workload increased and the subject matter became increasingly difficult. He has exhibited self-confidence by his ability to complete exams and quizzes independently with high grades. His average grades are A on tests, which indicates his excellent thinking and problem solving skills since tests are based on conceptual questions and problems. Long has also to date obtained A on quizzes which shows his ability to keep up with the class and do the material well. His grades reflect his meticulous nature since he explains concepts very well and works through problems in an orderly and logical manner. I am also aware that he has been on the Dean’s list for every single semester.

Long gets the “job” done as evidenced by all the classes which he has taken (and done extremely well) towards his goal of a Pharmacy career. Long has expressed his goal of being a profession in the field of pharmacy through his qualities of compassion and dedication to be of service to those in need of pharmaceutical care.

In summary, I think that Long is a capable person with a focus on what he would like to make of himself. I believe that Long’s quiet and thoughtful disposition is necessary for the profession which he has chosen. My general opinion of Long is that he is a composed, focused and caring individual who will make an excellent professional in the pharmaceutical area. Due to Long’s pleasant, personable, attentive personality, his friendly disposition, maturity and overall excellent attitude, I therefore strongly recommend him to you. If I can be of further assistance in your evaluation of Long Nguyen, please do not hesitate to contact me at **** or via email at *****.

Wow...those are some good letters...hahaha

wow thanx kellybean,longnguyen.
.. those are really great letters
were u asked to tell these ppl what u wanted them to write in your letters orr they wrote it them selves...??
i am gona tell the person to write great things about me...but then i do feel like im gona be praizing my self lol......well as long as the schools dont know... its all good i guess...
another thing should the letters be short ...and not too long ? would the school think they got essays instead of letters?:confused:

My family knows a few insiders at a few pharmacy schools and apparently its all about anecdotes. Anyone can write 'he/she makes good grades, is nice, etc.' but if the person writing your letter can cite specific events or incidences that show you in a positive light and frame that as an illustration of who you are then the letter is solid gold. Though most schools dont really weigh too heavily on letters its always nice to have an extra edge.

thanx guys ...any other suggestions ??

Think - I PMed you!

Haha, hi fellow Maryland pharmacist to be =D (Funny I actually know who you are because of your username and facebook)

Anyway, back to the topic.

I would recommend presenting an organized packet for your writer's perusal.
I've listed in a couple other posts what I would put in the packet, but I guess I can list 'em here again.

A packet could include the following:
Your resume
Your personal statement ( or reasons for going to pharmacy school if you haven't written it yet)
A list of items you wish emphasized in your letter
A thank you letter to your writer
An intro page containing deadlines, instructions, your ID information, and mandatory information that must be included.
An addressed stamped envelope (preferably typed).

When thinking about items you wish emphasized for your letter, think about your entire application. You have generally three LORs, so you'll want to maximize their effectiveness. It won't do you much good to have two of those letters emphasize your academic prowess. Have each letter target different qualities about you. For example, you may want one letter to focus on your credentials for healthcare work (your ability to work with patients, work responsibly and collaborate with others in a healthcare setting), a second letter focusing on your academic capabilities, and a third letter demonstrating your leadership and commitment to community service. Look for items and qualities that will stand out in the adcoms' eyes, and have the writer tailor that to you. As mentioned above, anecdotes are a plus, but it'll be up to the writer to come up with those from the information you've given them.

i'm not positive, but if you are submitting your application materials through pharmcas, i think the LOR section is actually in a type of question/answer format. I waived my right to access the files, so im not sure, but this is what the person who wrote mine told me. Maybe you can find out the questions from someone who knows for sure. anyway, I agree with the others; the more personal the letter is, the better. Also, it looks very good on your application if one of you letters is written by a pharmacist. good luck.

You can ask them to write something similar to those:

It is a distinct pleasure to recommend Long Nguyen. I have known him for over two years as a student, and as an employee, so I feel that I can completely describe his abilities. In terms of both his effort and his performance, he is endowed with mental superiority that I have rarely seen in nineteen years at this university.

Long was my student for two Anatomy and Physiology courses and he achieved an A in both courses. As I am considered to be one of the “tough” instructors at the University of Florida, this is not that common an event. However, inspection of his transcripts indicates the reason that he achieved those grades, with apparently little difficulty. The academic background strength of this student is simply incredible. As such, it is clear that Long is definitely an academically superior student. He is flexible, quick, and receptive to instruction. This young man’s oral and written expression are superior. He is refined, insightful, confident, clear, and engaging as a speaker and writer.

Long has also been a teacher assistant helping me to maintain the teaching laboratories. He is very responsible, comes to work on time and finishes his assignments with very little supervision. He goes beyond simply following directions and makes decisions to improve the situation, on his own. His work ethic is high and his performance standards are even higher. Long will have the necessary persistence to succeed in any work environment. Long’s psychological stability and maturity are those of a man much older than he. He is rock solid as a student and as a professional. Additionally, Long is a pleasure to work with having a positive attitude about his work.

Long is quietly confident without being the least bit shy. His academic achievements are so stunning at his young age that they naturally create a confidence that is neither arrogant nor strained. Never shying away from a challenge, Long went on to enroll and succeed in the most demanding science and language courses at the college, where he again passed every intellectual and personal trial with ease and confidence. Clear about his professional goals, he has patiently invested the necessary time and effort to gain admission to a college of pharmacy, where I have no doubt he will bring distinction to whatever institution has the good fortune to attract him.

Personally, Long Nguyen makes a most favorable impression. He smiles easily, makes others feel comfortable in his presence, and exudes the gentle, humble strength of a man who is aware of his extraordinary abilities and accomplishments but chooses not to flaunt them. I give his application for admission my highest possible endorsement.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I am writing this reference letter on behalf of Long Nguyen. Long has asked me to write this letter since he would like to be a pharmacy professional.

I have known Long for about a year, since he is a student in both my section of PHY2054 — General Physics II lecture class and PHY 2049L — Physics Laboratory, during the Fall of 2004. The lecture class consists of 3 hours of lecture and the lab class meets about 3 hours per week. I can state that I know him very well. The reason being, that both lecture and lab sections were small (less than 24 students).

As observed in the classroom and laboratory, Long has many times assisted his peers (in his immediate group and also outside his immediate group) whenever the occasion arose. Long participates fully in the laboratory, working well with his peers to perform experiments. Most times, he takes charge in setting up and collecting data. Long’s lab reports, exam sheets and quizzes are all neatly laid out and well-explained. He is also able to communicate effectively orally. Based on conversations we have had, I can attest to his inquiring mind. He is truly a good thinker and problem solver, which I think are excellent traits for the profession which he wishes to pursue.

During the semester Long maintained good grades even though the workload increased and the subject matter became increasingly difficult. He has exhibited self-confidence by his ability to complete exams and quizzes independently with high grades. His average grades are A on tests, which indicates his excellent thinking and problem solving skills since tests are based on conceptual questions and problems. Long has also to date obtained A on quizzes which shows his ability to keep up with the class and do the material well. His grades reflect his meticulous nature since he explains concepts very well and works through problems in an orderly and logical manner. I am also aware that he has been on the Dean’s list for every single semester.

Long gets the “job” done as evidenced by all the classes which he has taken (and done extremely well) towards his goal of a Pharmacy career. Long has expressed his goal of being a profession in the field of pharmacy through his qualities of compassion and dedication to be of service to those in need of pharmaceutical care.

In summary, I think that Long is a capable person with a focus on what he would like to make of himself. I believe that Long’s quiet and thoughtful disposition is necessary for the profession which he has chosen. My general opinion of Long is that he is a composed, focused and caring individual who will make an excellent professional in the pharmaceutical area. Due to Long’s pleasant, personable, attentive personality, his friendly disposition, maturity and overall excellent attitude, I therefore strongly recommend him to you. If I can be of further assistance in your evaluation of Long Nguyen, please do not hesitate to contact me at **** or via email at *****.

Long did you ever have Dr. Horvath in chemistry? I used to TA for him

I did. I dropped his chem 1 course my first semester, but aced his chem 2 course the next summer.

i'm not positive, but if you are submitting your application materials through pharmcas, i think the LOR section is actually in a type of question/answer format. .

anyone know for sure if this is true?
if so there is no need for trying to get a good letter since it will be question answer format?
plz let me know for sure

anyone know for sure if this is true?
if so there is no need for trying to get a good letter since it will be question answer format?
plz let me know for sure

It's both. You need a good letter, and they also have to fill out a Q/A form with generic questions.

I've written lots of LOR's & I've never done a Q&A type letter.

What I emphasize depends on the circumstance in which I've met/interacted with the applicant.

If I've been the preceptor, I'll comment on the individual's interest, ability to process & retain material presented, the ability to extrapolate &/or put a particular patient situation into perspective with the entire clinical picture (being able to see the "forest for the trees" so to speak). Of course, the extent of this depends on if I'm writing for a pharmacy school applicant or a pharmacy residency applicant.

I'll also make a comment on punctuality, personal responsibility, being able to follow through on assigned tasks, my observations on how the applicant handles interpersonal relationships & my assessment in his/her interest & long term committment.

Hope that helps.....

how "nice" does a letter of rec have to be?

two of my LOR's are NOT from professors...1 is from a pharmacist the other is from a supervisor at the place i volunteer at.
i'm afraid that since they're inexperienced at writing LOR's, that my LOR will be weak.

do they have to be exceptional (sorta like a personal statement)? as in perfectly structured paragraphs, etc. or just simply state all my attributes (and the things mentioned about) and that's all?

also how long do they have to be? the pharmacist said he is going to write me a one pager..

thanx for the replies

is this q/a new? and only on pharmcas? since someone is saying that they wrote letters and never had done anything like it ...
plus the pharmacist i am getting the letter never writes rec letters and i am afraid it might not be very good...grammar and the English use is what i mean here..

what types of question are they? im worried i don't want to get a bad recommendation just because the person became confused or doesn't know enough abt me to answer the questions...

i have a question, i know it depens on the pharmacy schoool, but lets say they all go through pharmcas. If i sent all my recs to pharmcas, like 2 from professors, and 1 from a pharmacist, and 1 from a doctor i worked for, would they send it to the appropriate schools. would they know what to send where caz i know not all schools want recs from pharmacists.

someone plz answer the last two qs

thanx for the replies

is this q/a new? and only on pharmcas? since someone is saying that they wrote letters and never had done anything like it ...
plus the pharmacist i am getting the letter never writes rec letters and i am afraid it might not be very good...grammar and the English use is what i mean here..

what types of question are they? im worried i don't want to get a bad recommendation just because the person became confused or doesn't know enough abt me to answer the questions...

If you select paper recommendation, it allows you to print out a copy I think. It usually asks them to rate your capacity as a pharmacist; whether they would trust you as a pharmacist; would they go to you as their pharmacist in the future, etc. etc.

I"m not sure if it's pharmcas only, but I do know that many schools on pharmcas require the form to be completely filled out.