Received an answer to the military active duty q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Armymutt25A

Cranky VSST OIC
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Figured I'd make a new thread in case someone else has the same question. I asked VMCAS how we would fill out the form regarding US military service if we were still on active duty. Here is their response:
For "are you a veteran..." you would answer 'yes'
Enter your branch, and your Date of start of service. You can leave the "length of service to" and discharge blank.


I know, I know, we hate leaving something blank. Just go with it!
 
So I have a question, and I guess this is as good a thread as any, but what made you change your mind and apply this year? I thought you were going to wait for next year for...your deployment to end or some such? Maybe it was experience...don't really recall.
 
Well, I was originally waiting until my wife finished pharmacy school and for a time when I would have a window. I was originally planning on attending the next school in my career progression, the Captains Career Course, in November. This is a six month school and incurs a 12 month Active Duty Service Obligation. Since my boss's boss sat on the request form for 3 months - been kinda busy and forgot about it - I now have a class date for Mar 2011. This provides me a window, albeit a tight one. NCSU sends out decisions around 15 Mar. My report date is 21 Mar. If I get accepted, I can cancel my orders and submit my paperwork to either resign my commission or transfer to a reserve component. If not, I continue on my way and look for the next window of opportunity, which may come too late.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Correct me if I'm wrong (and I probably am), but don't vets automatically get Captain rank in the military? Wouldn't you be killing two birds with one stone and not even need to worry about windows?
 
I think you're a little confused, so I'll try to clarify. You are correct, a DVM is commissioned as a CPT. I am already a CPT in the Signal Corp. Part of career progression is the career course, usually undertaken between the 3rd and 5th year of commissioned service. The purpose of the course is to provide more in depth exposure to the branch (each branch has its own career course). When I speak of a window, I am referring to the period in which my ability to exit the Regular Army (this is a requirement to attend vet school) coincides with the starting date for vet school. At the end of the school, I will once again owe the Army a year of time. If the end of this time falls within 90 days of a deployment, I am required to stay until 90 days after the end of the deployment. Eventually, I will accrue too much time in service, making me less desirable for a transition to the Vet Corps. While it is not unheard of for someone to come in as a major, they usually have been practicing vets for a while, rather than a recent graduate with a lot or prior service.
 
Ah well, good luck with that. I'm sure they'd grant you a deferral as you actually have a legit reason and not just something like not getting the school you wanted and wanting to reapply or some such.