Recent grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chenopods1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could anyone give insight into whether any M.D. programs focus, when evaluating transcripts, primarily on grades earned during the final 3-4 (3's ideal) semesters of college?

I'm a career changer (no science). Doing my own research but welcome suggestions. Thanks all.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Most schools will appreciate an upward trend. Cumulative GPAs are still taken into account nevertheless.

Reactions: 1 user
Could anyone give insight into whether any D.O. programs focus, when evaluating transcripts, primarily on grades earned during the final 3-4 (3's ideal) semesters of college? Doing my own research but welcome suggestions. Thanks all.
I agree that schools generally will notice an upward grade trend, so long as your GPAs are above minimum criteria to pass automated computer screening.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you. I didn't. I need to make systematic scanning habit...I'm interested in both program types+have edited the first post. Do you know of M.D. programs known for at least above-average concern with recent grades?[/QUOTE]

Thank you. I didn't. I need to make systematic scanning habit...I'm interested in both program types+have edited the first post. Do you know of M.D. programs known for at least above-average concern with recent grades?
I would say most schools do.

LSU-NO will take into account the last 32 post-bacc hours but they have a heavy IS bias, I think.

I just looked into Wayne State's program and noticed that their website states, "
Many schools will strongly consider a student who takes 30+ credits of new, upper division science courses and performs well. The undergraduate GPA cannot change after graduation so a master’s degree may be the solution."

My understanding is that undergraduate level course work, both in non-science and science course work, apply toward the AMCAS (and AACOMAS) cumulative GPA..Am I mistaken? Would separate GPAs be posted for cumulative performance with (freshman-senior year grades+ those in post-bacc courses) and without (cumulative GPA in post-bacc courses)?

1) My understanding is that undergraduate level course work, both in non-science and science course work, apply toward the AMCAS (and AACOMAS) cumulative GPA..Am I mistaken?

2) Would separate GPAs be posted for cumulative performance with (freshman-senior year grades+ those in post-bacc courses) and without (cumulative GPA in post-bacc courses)?
1) You are not mistaken.

2) For AMCAS:
College only GPAs are on one line.
Postbac undergrad GPAs are just below that.
Overall undergrad GPAs are below that, calculating all undergrad grades together.
Graduate level GPAs are next.

I just looked into Wayne State's program and noticed that their website states, "
Many schools will strongly consider a student who takes 30+ credits of new, upper division science courses and performs well. The undergraduate GPA cannot change after graduation so a master’s degree may be the solution."

My understanding is that undergraduate level course work, both in non-science and science course work, apply toward the AMCAS (and AACOMAS) cumulative GPA..Am I mistaken? Would separate GPAs be posted for cumulative performance with (freshman-senior year grades+ those in post-bacc courses) and without (cumulative GPA in post-bacc courses)?

Wayne State's policy is specifically for post-bacc classes. See this link.

AMCAS classifies GPAs year by year in addition to giving the cumulative and science GPAs. Post-bacc has its own separate line but is factored into your cumulative and science GPAs.

If you earned at least 20 post-bacc credits in BCPM courses you can use their policy to your advantage. I know their policy is legit because I've seen mid 2s GPAs get in because they had strong postbacc work.

Edit: @Catalystik is a faster typer...