Recent Resident Who is Happy to Provide Current Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vindedits

Reaction score
Hey y'all,

I am a recent medical school graduate (from a NY school) who is now completing residency in CA. I came into medical school thinking I wanted to do surgery but eventually realized that I was more interested in primary care provision. I remember the huge monolithic barrier that was the whole medical school process, as such I am more than happy to provide advice about the process, share my own thoughts on the different specialties, and talk through what I believe that medical schools and residencies are looking for.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
How difficult was it obtaining a residency position in CA? Do you have ties? I don't live there and don't have ties but think it would be somewhere I would like to do residency.

From anecdotal knowledge, CA is a more competitive geographic location for residency. There is a lot of conflicting information in general about the ties/roots to a location for residency. I personally didn't really have too many ties to the region, however I stated my interest and reasons for my interest in the location and it was clearly well received. From my experience, its all about showing why you would be a good resident in a location. If that includes doing an away to "unlock" said region then you can do that. It could also be how well you fit into the mould of the specific residency program you're considering. I don't think there is a clear answer anyone will be able to give about this but to err on the side of caution think about what you can do to show your interest in a program or location.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!

1.)Any tips for academic success in med school?

2.) If you have a moment, I would like to talk a little bit about research involvement in med school.

What is the best way to get involved in research whilst still doing well in classes?

Is it reasonable to work with a faculty member on the side during the academic year without taking a hit to one's grades, particularly in the age of P/F Step 1? Would a research year between Step 1 and 3rd year be the better way to go about that?

Is it still beneficial for residency apps to have the experience even if it doesn't end in publication?

Reactions: 1 user
1) In my opinion the general thought that medical school is like drinking from a fire hose is true. The biggest things that I feel that every med student should do is have a clear plan as to HOW they will study. What resources will you use? What types of learning styles work best for you? Question banks? Do you prefer using textbooks as a pillow / drool catcher or reading them? Decide what works for you because everyone is different. One thing that I think EVERY medical student should use is Anki. It may be uncomfortable or weird in the beginning but it is an incredibly useful and proven method of memorization. Finally, don't put studying off like most of us did in undergrad. The material needs to be titrated into your brain constantly otherwise it just won't stick for most people.

2) I think that your question about doing research during the year is a highly personal one. Some people are able to do it and some people don't. You have to see what you are able to do. Many people I know were able to do research during the academic year on top of their classes. With research as with other things, my belief is that you should only do it if you truly enjoy it. Do you want to take a gap year before third year to do research? Or are you doing that purely to improve your application to residency? From my experience most people take that gap year after M3 before M4. As for publications, yes it is still beneficial to do research without getting pubs. That being said, when you're doing research make sure you have clear expectations and outcomes talks with your PI so that you and they are on the same page as to when you hope to publish by and both work towards making that happen with realistic projects.

Vindedits

Reactions: 1 user