Recently Accepted that Missed Graduation Deadline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lastomandu

Reaction score
Hello,

I was recently accepted to a medical school this last month, however, over winter break I had a mental episode and was convinced I was getting schizophrenia for the first ~6 weeks. As a result I was severely behind in two labs and decided to drop them and switch my major which would still allow me to graduate this spring. The problem is that by the time my it was in the system the application for graduation deadline passed even though I will still have all my classes completed for the degree this spring. I feel absolutely awful as I believe this will may get my acceptance revoked. Can anyone comment on whether or not it will have my acceptance revoked? I know, I should been more diligent better and I feel terrible and am incredibly depressed about the fact.

Edit: My undergrad school is University of Minnesota-Duluth
Edit: Application for graduation

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Will not having a degree awarded mean I can't matriculate?
Almost all schools list a bachelor's degree as a requirement. I can't see them budging on it but I agree you need to contact the school directly. I've also heard of deferred or conditional acceptances being granted in certain situations. Perhaps it would apply here but you won't know until you speak with them directly.

How is your mental health now? How much of a contingency plan do you have in place for if you have another episode? I ask not to discourage you but because I can relate somewhat.

Reactions: 1 user
if you’re using the word “could” to mean legally permitted, then yes as this is not a reasonable accommodation as defined in federal disability law.

I do not think they would revoke it, especially for the two classes. The lack of degree would be more challenging. I hope that you’re doing better health wise..I would try not to worry too much before reaching out to admissions (which you should do asap)

Almost all schools list a bachelor's degree as a requirement. I can't see them budging on it but I agree you need to contact the school directly. I've also heard of deferred or conditional acceptances being granted in certain situations. Perhaps it would apply here but you won't know until you speak with them directly.

How is your mental health now? How much of a contingency plan do you have in place for if you have another episode? I ask not to discourage you but because I can relate somewhat.
My med school allows delayed matriculation requests automatically before June 1st.

And right now my mental state is pretty good. It was just a really weird/out of nowhere attack where I thought I was gonna go crazy (probably anxiety attack) that ****ed me up for awhile.

if you’re using the word “could” to mean legally permitted, then yes as this is not a reasonable accommodation as defined in federal disability law.

I do not think they would revoke it, especially for the two classes. The lack of degree would be more challenging. I hope that you’re doing better health wise..I would try not to worry too much before reaching out to admissions (which you should do asap)
I called med admissions before and they said they don't care about the two classes. I'm gonna talk to an advisor tomorrow and see if I can still graduate this term.

Reactions: 1 user
Do your degree audit. If you miss a deadline, then they formally confer your degree to the summer or winter. You would have to be sure your registrar can confirm that anticipated date to the medical school. Check with your advisor.

Reactions: 1 users