receptionist jobs... good or bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BaliDoll

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have threads mentioning interviewing for a receptionist job, but I don't get a clear sense on what you think on if it's a good idea or not. I know it wouldn't count as vet experience, but have people been able to become more hands on, if they express interest, after being a receptionist for a while, or is that not very common? I need another job regardless, so I am applying for this receptionist job at a 24 hour emergency/surgery center...

I'm not really the receptionist type, but I figure if it's at a vets office it's worth applying for at this point since I am still JUST starting to figure all this out. I have LOTS of animal experience but nothing even remotely vet related in SA right now, which I think is what I want to specialize in... part of the reason I want to work in an animal hospital is to see if that's true...

I don't know, I'm lost in thought now... opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, the job will be good experience - and it absolutely would count as veterinary experience. However, it is highly unlikely that the job will be a precursor to a more hands on position and the easiest way to get in trouble would be if you were frequently in the treatment area instead of manning the desk and phones where you were hired to work. If that's okay with you, then go for it. If you'll be frustrated with the lack of hands on work, then hold out for a technician assistant position.

Yes, it is good experience!! Like others have said, you are working under the supervision of a vet - so it counts. Working at a clinic (even as a receptionist) you will learn the basics, get a bit more knowledge and understanding of a veterinary practice. You would probably be able to observe surgeries and help out with animal care from time to time (how often would depend on the clinic - you may have to volunteer on days off).

As a receptionist you will have to deal with alot of people; building a relationship and knowing how to deal with cliental is a very useful skill as a veterinarian (from what I've observed).

All in all, I think it's good experience. You can add it to your resume and possibly get a Vet reference, if needed. That being said if something better comes along don't hesitate to take it!

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that it is good experience and definitely fits in the vet category. I was hired as a receptionist in a one doctor SA hospital. In addition to all my front desk responsibilities - phone, files, greeting clients, payments, etc..., I learned how to do a lot in the back. Since it was such a small hospital (me, 2 techs and part-time kennel tech) everyone learned how to do pretty much everything. Occasionally if we were all tied up with patients, the doctor would answer the phone, take payments, greet clients, and walk dogs too. I also let him know when he hired me that I was pursuing vet school (which I recommend) and was interested in learning more and doing more than just being a receptionist. I learned to hold and restrain animals for exams and vaccines, draw blood, place catheters, read fecals, do SNAP tests, assist in surgery, administer vaccines, and do dentals and xrays. I went in with barely any experience and learned, or was at least exposed to, everything a tech does while working there. I realize that this is probably not the normal experience for a receptionist, but IMO any experience in a vet clinic can't hurt. And it was not just the vet experience but the people experience too. I am a very quiet, introverted person so I didn't think I was cut out for the job but, at the time, it was the only place that was hiring and would hire me without experience. (Mostly because the previous receptionist's last day was the next day.) As others have said, just talking to clients when they come in or on the phone helps you become more knowledgable and better at dealing with clients. I was accepted to 2 out of the 3 vet schools that I applied to, so go for it and good luck!

I definitely echo all the sentiments above. I've been working reception almost exclusively for a year and a half now and it really brought home to me the importance of client communication and education (which my interviewers were VERY impressed with). Definitely stress that you are pursuing vet med and most vets will be more than happy to answer questions about a case or let you sit in on procedures if the front desk isn't busy.

Looking back at my jobs, I would say that working in telemedicine (talking to clients/vets) and working in the reception were probably the best jobs to prepare me for vet school and a career in vet.

You can learn everything you need to know about clinical skills, patient handling, etc in vet school if you really have to. You really don't have much time to devote to learning people skills in vet school.

I'd say take the reception job, don't worry too much about 'getting in the back' to become a assistant/nurse/tech. At an E-clinic you might find if you work any night shifts you get grabbed as an available hand and learn some extra stuff anyhow. I just think I took for granted (a small bit) how much my reception/telemed work actually shaped the way I work now.

I don't know that taking the receptionist job will necessarily give you a foot in the door to the tech side of the job. Is it possible to ask to work as a tech there? Receptionist experience isn't bad, but I'm of the opinion that a job as a tech will probably help you more.

If you can't get a tech/vet assistant job then take the receptionist position! :) I would recommend asking to shadow on some of your days off to help show your interest in the hands on part of the job.

A receptionist job is not a guaranteed way to become a vet tech/assistant. However, it really depends on the clinic as to your involvement in non-receptionist duties.

I worked in one place where the receptionist did not have to do things like weigh animals on check in or check in/out surgical patients. I also worked at a couple of other places where those duties were handled more by the receptionist. At some clinics, no matter your position, if you tell them you are pre-vet and are eager to learn, they will let you know when an interesting or rare procedure is coming up so you can observe if available. Sometimes they might also need an extra hand for taking radiographs or blood samples.

However, even just strict "receptionist" type positions are an invaluable experience for anyone but especially for an aspiring vet. Well, and overall, I think being a receptionist has made me a more understanding and reasonable consumer/client.

Receptionists are generally a client's first contact/impression with the clinic. You learn how to be friendly and informative, how to gather important information quickly (my note-taking skills improved after working as a receptionist because people get pretty irritated if you have to ask their name, phone number, reason for calling, etc. three times) and convey it clearly and concisely. Working in as a receptionist is like a crash-course in learning how to communicate, an essential skill for nearly any career (and especially vet medicine, even non-clinic areas).

As the "frontline," the receptionist also gets a lot of crap. You get b*****d out by people who are mad about anything in the clinic, including things that are not even remotely the receptionist's responsibility. I am not saying this to scare you off (and vets and techs also get crap, too, but the receptionist is usually the easiest person for a client to get in contact with). I actually found it a good experience for me to get berated by an angry client. It has really helped me become more assertive, learn how to work with difficult people, and (attempt) to become a mediator.

Honestly, I think everyone should have to work as a receptionist somewhere. The skills you take away are so useful in so many ways: people skills, phone skills (more to it than you would expect), computer/technology skills (I got waaaay better with the copier), organization, time management, communication (not to repeat myself...)!

So yes, I think a receptionist position is very worthwhile.

Last edited:
Okay, great. That's better than what I was expecting to hear. I need to work on my people skills, I can be a little shy, so I think this would be in excellent opportunity for me.

Also, I got an email back from a place about shadowing... said I can shadow but I can't touch anything. I think they are under the impression I just want to do it once though. "...Let me know what you're looking for and we'll go from there..." was how she left it. So, how should I respond? :laugh: I don't know really what to say... I got this so far:

Thank you so much for your reply. I am looking to watch procedures, ask questions, and get an idea of how the small animal hospital environment works. I am still deciding if I am going toward equine or small animal, so I would just love to get some hours of learning by observation. It would be nice to do like a day or two a week...