Recipes for busy people

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frosted_flake

waaahmbulance attendant
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN,
I was wondering if we could perhaps compile a list of healthy recipes one could cook on a Sunday, freeze and eat that food all week. I know there are similar threads as to what one actually does eat, but hopefully this could be a compilation of recipes.
:)

Members don't see this ad.

This list is fairly good. +1 to basically everything on there (add some veg when you heat it up!)

Edit: You can find fairly easy recipes for all of these :D

Reactions: 1 users
veggie soup
- large soup pot
- organic/low sodium veggie broth (big can)
- 7+ vegetables (corn, green beans, peas, lima beans, cabbage, zucchini, carrots, whatever you may want in your soup)
- oregano and pepper to taste
Put it all in the pot, high heat for 30 minutes, medium heat 2 hours, simmer as long as you'd like! Makes about 2 big tupperware containers full of soup.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I made some awesome south western bean burgers yesterday.

16 oz. kidney beans, rinsed, mashed
1 steamed carrot, mashed
1/2 cup of flour
1 cup of fine bread crumbs
1/2 finely chopped onion
1/2 finely chopped green bell pepper
2 tbsp salsa
a bit of chili powder if you like

Mix all that together in a bowl and form into patties. Add a bit more flour if they aren't firm enough. Bake at 400 ˚F for 15-20 minutes or until crispy and firm. Use whatever vegetables you like on a preferably whole wheat bun. They are vegan and awesome, when done right. I'm not sure how good they are after lying in state in a fridge for a few days, but after one day, a few minutes in the oven livens them back up nicely.

You can also make a quick smoothie by blending banana, strawberries, blueberries, and soy milk.

I made some awesome south western bean burgers yesterday.

16 oz. kidney beans, rinsed, mashed
1 steamed carrot, mashed
1/2 cup of flour
1 cup of fine bread crumbs
1/2 finely chopped onion
1/2 finely chopped green bell pepper
2 tbsp salsa
a bit of chili powder if you like

Mix all that together in a bowl and form into patties. Add a bit more flour if they aren't firm enough. Bake at 400 ˚F for 15-20 minutes or until crispy and firm. Use whatever vegetables you like on a preferably whole wheat bun. They are vegan and awesome, when done right. I'm not sure how good they are after lying in state in a fridge for a few days, but after one day, a few minutes in the oven livens them back up nicely.
Those sound delicious!!!
I am going to try them for dinner tomorrow :)

You can also make a quick smoothie by blending banana, strawberries, blueberries, and soy milk.
THIS A MILLION TIMES. Absolutely fantastic for breakfast!

I go all out on smoothies...
Protein powder, almond milk, frozen bananas and chia seeds if I need some crunch/am feeling extra hungry.

I have a wok and a ricecooker and make lots of stir trys. I did this all throughout college.

For stir fry: there is lots of variety but three key components - veggies: broccoli, carrots, pepper, bok choy, chinese bok choy, water chestnut, snap peas, cauliflower, zucchini, etc. protein: eggs, tofu, chicken, beef, other; sauces: experiment. you can try premade sauces. for me, a go to simple one is sesame oil + ginger (buy powder) + chili + soy sauce.
- cut everything up and throw in a hot wok with sauce. and its quick. that is the point. if you cook it too long the veggies lose the crunch

Rice:
- rice cooker will crank it out in 20-40 mins (but you can do stuff/work during that).

Also, really easy to make 2-4 portions worth at once and put away. Always better fresh, but it will be completely fine for 2 days.

edit: fyi, not asian.

Last edited:
I have a wok and a ricecooker and make lots of stir trys. I did this all throughout college.

For stir fry: there is lots of variety but three key components - veggies: broccoli, carrots, pepper, bok choy, chinese bok choy, water chestnut, snap peas, cauliflower, zucchini, etc. protein: eggs, tofu, chicken, beef, other; sauces: experiment. you can try premade sauces. for me, a go to simple one is sesame oil + ginger (buy powder) + chili + soy sauce.
- cut everything up and throw in a hot wok with sauce. and its quick. that is the point. if you cook it too long the veggies lose the crunch

Rice:
- rice cooker will crank it out in 20-40 mins (but you can do stuff/work during that).

Also, really easy to make 2-4 portions worth at once and put away. Always better fresh, but it will be completely fine for 2 days.

edit: fyi, not asian.
For the stir fry, do you think a regular skillet would work? Or if I want it done right would I need to buy a wok?
I am obsessed with stir-fry...

Members don't see this ad :)
Whole wheat spaghetti and turkey meatballs!

For meat balls
-1lb lean ground turkey or turkey breast
-bread crumbs
-Parmesan cheese
-1 egg or egg substitute
-finely chopped onion
-finely chopped mushrooms
-finely chopped garlic
-basil
-salt and pepper

Roll into 1 inch balls and bake at 375 for 25 minutes.

Good with any marinara!

UPSCALE PB AND J, YAH YOU READ THAT RIGHT:

Whole Wheat Bread (Cuz Nutrients yo)
Crunchy peanut butter (If you like smooth, you're a commie and you should go Carib)
Raspberry Jam (Grape Jelly is for plebs)
Brie (Or another soft cheese of your choice, the more pretentious the better it will taste)

Cut this paragon of deliciousness into four triangular slices because squares are for Pre-Dents and i-Bankers.

Eat that ****.

Cottage cheese w/ bananas (protein and carbs)

those almonds that come in different flavors like vanilla, caramel mocha, strawberry, coffee, etc (protein and caffeine w/ the coffee ones)

strawberry and banana smoothie w/ Greek yogurt (carbs, calcium, protein, + nutrients from whatever else you want to add)

And, if you don't have time for coffee for some reason, eat coffee beans lol. It works so much better than black coffee! I know from experience. Tastes gross, though.

My bachelor's staple: Pasta! All day, err'day. It's cheap, fast, makes huge portions, and doesn't get tiring quickly.

Reagents:
1) Boxed whole wheat pasta of your choice - $1.50
2) Marinara sauce (healthiest), or vodka sauce, or alfredo - $2.00-3.00
3) Broccoli or spinach, frozen - $2
4) Chicken strips (healthiest), italian sausage, or meatballs - $4-5

Protocol:
1) Boil pasta, drain
2) Heat up meat if precooked, OR if meat is raw, bake to cook
3) Heat up sauce
4) Steam frozen veggies to thaw
5) Add pasta, meat, and veggies
6) Incubate mixture at high temperature. Mix well, do not vortex.
7) Consume.

Costs about $10, takes about 1 hour, and makes 4-5 servings. In principle, you can do it all in 1-2 dishes and a colander, so clean up is quick.
Once you become an expert at this, then you can start making the sauces yourself (not worth the time honestly) and can incorporate fresh veggies and meats (definitely worth the time).

I have this Jamie Oliver cookbook called "Jamie's Food Revolution." It's been really good to me over the last couple years. Gives a good range of simple recipes that are pretty healthy. It's the kind of recipes that assume you're gonna go to the store to grab a jar of curry paste rather than spend an hour making your own like in a gourmet cookbook, but not so dumbed down that it's bland. It's got a good range of different ethnic stuff too.

Sorry to sound like an infomercial. You can find plenty of stuff online, I'm just never that satisfied with what I usually get out of random internet searches for new recipes.

Also +! on the slow cooker. I have one and it's so amazing. Last week I got a 3 lb chuck roast and made BBQ. Slapped on some dry rub, seared it real quick, and let it sit on low for 6 hours. Sooo tasty.

UPSCALE PB AND J, YAH YOU READ THAT RIGHT:

Whole Wheat Bread (Cuz Nutrients yo)
Crunchy peanut butter (If you like smooth, you're a commie and you should go Carib)
Raspberry Jam (Grape Jelly is for plebs)
Brie (Or another soft cheese of your choice, the more pretentious the better it will taste)

Cut this paragon of deliciousness into four triangular slices because squares are for Pre-Dents and i-Bankers.

Eat that ****.
:thumbup:

For the stir fry, do you think a regular skillet would work? Or if I want it done right would I need to buy a wok?
I am obsessed with stir-fry...

I use non stick 12 inch pan, works fine.

My staple meal is chicken thighs marinated with a mixture of soy sauce, sugar, garlic, rice vinegar, and ginger. Bake until skin is brown and have with rice and broccoli. It's fairly easy to prepare and I can cook up 5lbs to last me a couple days.

My new favorite guacamole recipe!
3 smashed avocados (smoosh them up in the rind before you open it)
1/4 cup red onions
1/8 cup jalapenos
mix it all up and eat with blue corn tortilla chips.
Delicious :rolleyes:

You guys have to check out Jyoti canned Indian food. The ingredients are always totally normal things, ie whole foods, and no preservatives or extra salt and stuff like most other canned soups. And they're so good! They're as good as curry from an Indian restaurant.

I do a lot of freezer cooking because of school and work.

I do soup like everyone says but I freeze individual portions flat in ziplock bags. If it's something like chicken noodle I add the noodle when I'm heating it on the stove.

I love muffins for breakfast so I'll freeze muffin batter in foil muffin cups so I can just make one in the morning.

Precook ground beef with green peppers and onions so when you are short on time you can make sloppy joes or hamburger helper really fast.

Mason jar salads really do work and keep salads fresh in the fridge for almost a week.

Fried rice freezes well. Also, pretty much any slow cooker recipe you can assemble the ingredients and freeze for when you want to make it then just dump in the slow cooker.

Dump chicken
http://doitandhow.com/2012/07/09/dump-chicken/

There are a lot of recipes on Pinterest if you search