Recognizing civilian contractor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

46&2

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm working at an Air Force hospital with a civilian nurse contractor who is doing an exceptional job. She works overtime, helps certify other active duty members in performing procedures, and helps me performing duties outside her area of responsibility (e.g. providing conscious sedation in the ED). Is there something beyond a cheesy certificate churned out from the squadron printer I can recognize with her, like an award that would aid her with future employment?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm working at an Air Force hospital with a civilian nurse contractor who is doing an exceptional job. She works overtime, helps certify other active duty members in performing procedures, and helps me performing duties outside her area of responsibility (e.g. providing conscious sedation in the ED). Is there something beyond a cheesy certificate churned out from the squadron printer I can recognize with her, like an award that would aid her with future employment?
At some places, if you write up a positive comment card for contractors they get a cash bonus from their contracting company.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my experience it was for contractors, not sure where the money came from...

This has got to be for GS employees, right? No way an MTF could just directly hand over cash to a contractor for a job well done.
Our reward program is cash and/or paid time off, but it's for GS employees only.

About the only thing we can do for contractors is nominate them for "contractor of the quarter/year" awards. I suppose that might be worth something to their future employment, maybe.

I applaud your thoughtfulness and desire to recognize a team member. One thing caught my eye when you stated "outside her area of responsibility", and i say this strictly to protect you and the RN; not meaning to rain on your parade. We just got raked over the coals on our JCAHO inspection when they discovered uncredentialed RNs giving conscious sedation in the ED, whether using propofol or just versed. JCAHO pulled out our medical staff bylaws, the RN position dwscription, and the state nurse practice act and found many violations. In addition the RNs did not have these verified competencies mentioned in their file, nor was the training for the competencies documented anywhere.

Please excuse me for sounding like a bureaucratic admin-type here ... I just offer our recent experience for your consideration and CYA purposes when supervising/directing someone working outside of their lane.

Create a nursing protocol for it so that they can't cite MDGIs and governing documents. You can create nursing protocols under your medical license in very specific circumstances. It must be approved at the med group level.

Also, I am a COR as secondary duty. I would absolutely make sure you are MAXIMIZING your Surveillance Report or equivalent which typically allows for supplemental comments and critiques to be made. This will certainly make the contract position more secure. Additionally, with the permission of the CO (contracting officer) you may be able to send direct communication to the contract company expressing your gratitude and impressions. Best of luck, and thank you for going the extra mile for your personnel.

I applaud your thoughtfulness and desire to recognize a team member. One thing caught my eye when you stated "outside her area of responsibility", and i say this strictly to protect you and the RN; not meaning to rain on your parade. We just got raked over the coals on our JCAHO inspection when they discovered uncredentialed RNs giving conscious sedation in the ED, whether using propofol or just versed. JCAHO pulled out our medical staff bylaws, the RN position dwscription, and the state nurse practice act and found many violations. In addition the RNs did not have these verified competencies mentioned in their file, nor was the training for the competencies documented anywhere.

That's an excellent point, and reminds me of something. Besides those JC wankers, there's another thing to be aware of. GS employees who are given tasks above their grade more than occasionally (I think the cutoff is 25% of time) may have a claim for back pay at the higher grade. That can get ugly and litigious.

The OP was talking about a contractor, so this doesn't really apply there. But everyone should be aware that there are some weird rules concerning GS employees, and you can really stir some crap up by allowing a motivated team playin' GS employee to help out too much.

Certificate of Appreciation, unit coin and a memorandum for record that is provided to her, her site lead, and her contracting chain of command two levels up. Have an officer with some rank present all three at your next meeting.