Recomendation Committee: Not meeting 'till October

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heatwheat

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my recommendation committee isn't meeting until "early" October. Which I guess means I wont get my recommendations into AADSAS until then. What does this mean for me?
Will my application not be sent to the dental schools until AADSAS receives these letters?
Am I screwed for this cycle?
I'm planning on e-submitting my AADSAS application the 1st or 2nd week of June. Then I'll take my DAT August 1st.

Members don't see this ad.

It will submit to the schools but the schools will not receive the LOE until Oct obviously. Not 100% sure but I don't think they consider your app complete until ALL materials are in house, including LOE's.

why dont u just get individual ones?

Members don't see this ad :)
ya not to freak u out but I doubt schools will review your app til the letters are in. You'll be way late for this cycle

Don't wait for the committee.

So you guys are saying to forget the committee, and just send in individual ones directly to AADSAS?

you are reviwed until they get your LORs. But, I don't think it's too late. Most of students are done around at that time even though they submitted their applications so fast, but most of them(blame on aadsas) stuck on their application process because it's not easy to get through it without any problem. you will get through it, but it's not too late. Obviously, it's not good, tho.

Yes buddy, you will want to send off individual LOR's, don't waste time waiting for the committee.

I have a similar problem as the OP. My committee advisor said that she won't be able to start reviewing my application and write me a recommendation letter until sometime the END of summer. The biggest problem is... I only have two science LOR (one bio, one biochem). I have a dentist writing me a letter as well as a LOR from a person who knows me really well. The only thing missing is that THIRD recommendation letter. So the big question here is...

Should I ask another bio professor for a LOR (I feel like this would be rather last minute for the professor... but who knows) or should I just sit tight and wait for the committee letter? I'm really bothered by this. The committee adviser said that there's nothing she can do about it and to just tough it out. What do you guys think?

Should I ask another bio professor for a LOR (I feel like this would be rather last minute for the professor... but who knows) or should I just sit tight and wait for the committee letter? I'm really bothered by this. The committee adviser said that there's nothing she can do about it and to just tough it out. What do you guys think?

Yes!! Ask any science professor (genetics, ecology, chemistry???) for a letter and apply without the committee review. You might be surprised at how easy it is to get letters from professors even if they don't know you all that well. Worst case situation is that no professor will write you a letter and you have to wait for the committee letter.

Yes!! Ask any science professor (genetics, ecology, chemistry???) for a letter and apply without the committee review. You might be surprised at how easy it is to get letters from professors even if they don't know you all that well. Worst case situation is that no professor will write you a letter and you have to wait for the committee letter.

That may be true but you will probably get a general one based on a template they just have to pound out for people they don't know. If you want a good original LOE, you should get to know your evaluator.

That may be true but you will probably get a general one based on a template they just have to pound out for people they don't know. If you want a good original LOE, you should get to know your evaluator.

I totally agree, but I would argue that in this case it is better to have the three required letters ASAP than wait until October for the committee to meet and give one good committee letter. Also, it sounds like the OP already has two good science LORs so having the last one be generic would most likely be ok in the long run.

The having two science LOR is from me (not the OP) :oops:

The problem if I go the generic LOR route is my limit of 4 LORs. Right now I'm getting LORs from 2 science profs, 1 dentist, and one from a person who knows me REALLY well (he was my counselor). So if I go get a 3rd LOR from a science teacher, i'll have to cut out one of the LORs. That really sucks because I know he'll write me a good one and the thought or replacing it with a last minute generic LOR is giving me second thoughts.

As it stands, in the first few weeks of June, the committee will mail me a packet asking for information (resume, PS, ID picture, school app list etc) and I assume will finish it (hopefully) by the end of July (no promises from them).

Also I know that you should talk to professors directly and ask for a LOR but it's currently finals week and I don't know when he'll be in his office to ask. Should I just ask him via email to be safe??

Really torn about this :(

The having two science LOR is from me (not the OP) :oops:

The problem if I go the generic LOR route is my limit of 4 LORs. Right now I'm getting LORs from 2 science profs, 1 dentist, and one from a person who knows me REALLY well (he was my counselor). So if I go get a 3rd LOR from a science teacher, i'll have to cut out one of the LORs. That really sucks because I know he'll write me a good one and the thought or replacing it with a last minute generic LOR is giving me second thoughts.

As it stands, in the first few weeks of June, the committee will mail me a packet asking for information (resume, PS, ID picture, school app list etc) and I assume will finish it (hopefully) by the end of July (no promises from them).

Also I know that you should talk to professors directly and ask for a LOR but it's currently finals week and I don't know when he'll be in his office to ask. Should I just ask him via email to be safe??

Really torn about this :(

Use letter services like interfolio. I am using my school's letter service, and got 6 letters in there. sending 4 to aadsas (1 upper div science, 1 science that i also TAed, 1 dentist, 1 research) and sending 2 extra letters (1 humanity, 1 research/work) directly to specific schools like columbia and pitt (3+ science) and nova and creighton (humanity). For my case, there is a blank space where you can fill out AADSAS ID in the letter form.

When I asked the letter, I did walk in to their office and asked them straight up. I do agree with u that it is the best and simplest way. But some profs are busy and I was out of school for some time. I sent them email, scheduling possible meetings/lunch/dinner for letter of rec with them, and however offered a way out just in case they cannot write me a strong one. Some responded saying that thats cool and I skipped work that day and had a nice lunch with professors. However, a few responded back to me that they are pre-occupied and prefer snail mail. In your case, you can simply slip in your stuff into his mail box. how convenient! Make sure u give them everythign though... (personal statement, transcript, resume, suggestions for letter writing, a stamped envelope, and a thank you letter!)

i was in the exact situation as the OP and I waited for the committee letter for a number of reasons. 1. Many schools require a committee letter if it is available. 2. if the school requires a committee letter, they must be flexible as to when they receive that LOE. Therefore, you're application should be reviewed without it to keep you on an even playing field. 3. if you go to a big undergrad, then most dental schools will be familiar with committee timing (my case). if you dont, call an admission officer and let him/her know that your committee doesnt meet until oct, and ask if your app. can be reviewed without it. you have to be proactive and convince them that this factor is beyond your control and should not be held against you. I think most adcom officers would understand.