Recommend a Book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

0rgansm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to read for leisure, and I guess to help with RC.

Any good books you'd recommend?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on what level you're at. Start with what you're comfortable with. If it's a best seller fiction that's easy to read, it'll be a good place to start if you aren't used to reading books yet. Then build your way up to reading scientific articles and getting faster at reading and comprehending it at a good pace.

If you just try to read difficult articles from the start you may burnout and get really frustrated. Don't do that to yourself unless you can handle it

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
A Brave New World

Ohhh, I will give you some good books that I enjoyed:

- Comedy/Romance/Adventure: The Princess Bride
- Nonfiction: Behind the beautiful forevers
- Fiction: The Rosie Project
- Young adult: Eleanor and Park
- Thriller/mystery: The girl on the train or Sharp Object
- Foreign book (translated to English): The shadow of the Wind
- Feel good book: The help
- Self development: How to win friends and influence people

Check out goodreads.com

Fiction: The Name of the Wind, The Rainmaker, The King of Torts, Dune
Non-fiction (historical): Devil in the White City, The Boys in the Boat, Michaelangelo and the Pope's Ceiling
Historical Fiction: Anything by Michael or Jeff Shaara, especially if you're interested in American war history.

PM me if you want more. Books are life.

Reactions: 1 users
Ohhh, I will give you some good books that I enjoyed:

- Comedy/Romance/Adventure: The Princess Bride
- Nonfiction: Behind the beautiful forevers
- Fiction: The Rosie Project
- Young adult: Eleanor and Park
- Thriller/mystery: The girl on the train or Sharp Object
- Foreign book (translated to English): The shadow of the Wind
- Feel good book: The help
- Self development: How to win friends and influence people

Check out goodreads.com
Amen on The Princess Bride mate. That book was incredible.

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks or The Girl on the Train!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
Join wattpad and you'll see millions. Read "He was looking for a princess, instead he found me". The series is called "Takes of a royal lunatic"

Sent from my HUAWEI Y360-U23 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
I know this sounds super corny.. but if your looking for some help with with RC material I suggest going onto pubmed and searching for a topic that really interests you! For me, I really enjoy articles about cancer metastasis and also had to do a lot of article reading for my lab. This really helped me so much, especially when it came to pin pointing information. As far as books go, my most recent is The Dinner by Herman Koch I really liked it but its kinda hit or miss.

I'd recommend reading the scientific American roughly 5 passages daily, should definitely help. For what it's worth 2/3 topics on my DAT were covered in the journal and I had extensive knowledge so I felt confident in the reading section even though I consider myself a mediocre reader. Eventually you may come across something you find interesting..

The Fountainhead, Grapes of Wrath, Three Musketeers,

The Three-Body Problem is good if you like Sci-Fi

The Fountainhead, Grapes of Wrath, Three Musketeers

Second these.

Also: A Clockwork Orange (Burgess), The Catcher in the Rye (Salinger), On the Origin of Species (Darwin), The Sorrows of Young Werther (Goethe), A Winter's Tale (Shakespeare), and Dracula (Stoker). Books that changed me. :)

Found this on Goodreads: Onions Bunions Corns and Dungeons.

Jurassic Park

Or Game of Thrones. Seriously. Nothing tests RC like having to remember over 1000 named characters. And you won't be bored to sleep by Victorian era junk.

"Rogue Male", its a story about an early 20'th century big game hunter who becomes the hunted when he gets bored of animals and goes to far. It's not too long or complex, but a good story in my opinion.