recommendation for pre-req

Started by Lifegauge
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Lifegauge

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi All,

I technically have my pre-reqs completed, however I am looking to take some other higher level classes and was wondering what you would recommend. Each offers different benefits for me:

Genetics - listed as a 200 level course at my school.
Would this be considered 'higher level'? I have already taken Microbiology (which genetics is a pre-requisite for) and received an A in the class. I want to take it as a brush-up for genetics on the DAT, its the same professor I had for Microbio (she rocks and will be writing a LoR for me), and I thought it would be a good showcase for me to take as there is a research internship / fellowship at a genetics laboratory that I thought taking this class would look good for.


Evolutionary Biology - 300 level class
I considered taking this class as it relates to part of the DAT. Additionally, the professor aided my lab partner and I on part of our research project for Microbio and thought I may be able to acquire another LoR.


Environmental Chemistry - 300 level class
I considered taking this higher level class to show mastery in chemistry, however I question the relevance to the dental field and if it would help or count in GPA calculations.


I have already taken Medical Physiology and Biochemistry; if there was something more biochemically related I would try for that but there is nothing offered next semester.

Do you all have any recommendations?

Thanks,
LG
 
Last edited:
I would take genetics. You already know the prof and she could write you a LOR which is nice.

For evolution, it might help on the DAT a little bit, but not really necessary. I never took evolution and still did well in biology section of the DAT.

I wouldn't bother with environmental chemistry as it has little applicability to dentistry.