recommendation letter dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

argarg01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So ironically the two classes that I loved the most in college and retained the most information, I didn't receive A's in.

anatomy - B
human osteology - C+

Not many people received A's so I was actually asked to be a TA, which I did end up doing. I grew a very strong relationship with the professor in charge of these courses and he knew that I had more potential than what two grades on a paper had to show. Even though I had valid reasons for not getting A's in those classes, I don't want to sit here and list them. I did a huge research paper on nutrient foramen for the osteology class (which I actually did above and beyond what he required) and was the only one who got an A+ on it (still don't understand how he didn't weigh that into my final grade, but I digress). I really want to ask him for a letter of recommendation because, for one, I don't think grades are always true representations of a student, and I think that his letter will help committee members see past my grades in those courses.

Should I still ask him, or just forget about it? I'm so mad because this semester I was a bit MIA with him since I didn't take any courses of his and I didn't ask him for a letter right away because I have been back and forth so many times with this in my head.

Members don't see this ad.

So ironically the two classes that I loved the most in college and retained the most information, I didn't receive A's in.

anatomy - B
human osteology - C+

Not many people received A's so I was actually asked to be a TA, which I did end up doing. I grew a very strong relationship with the professor in charge of these courses and he knew that I had more potential than what two grades on a paper had to show. Even though I had valid reasons for not getting A's in those classes, I don't want to sit here and list them. I did a huge research paper on nutrient foramen for the osteology class (which I actually did above and beyond what he required) and was the only one who got an A+ on it (still don't understand how he didn't weigh that into my final grade, but I digress). I really want to ask him for a letter of recommendation because, for one, I don't think grades are always true representations of a student, and I think that his letter will help committee members see past my grades in those courses.

Should I still ask him, or just forget about it? I'm so mad because this semester I was a bit MIA with him since I didn't take any courses of his and I didn't ask him for a letter right away because I have been back and forth so many times with this in my head.

Ask him, he would be more than happy.

In my own personal experience, professors are generally happy to write you a letter, especially if you have had multiple classes with him/her, despite there being a semester gap. If you feel this professor has something significant to say about your character/work ethic, I'd say go for it!

Members don't see this ad :)

anatomy - B
human osteology - C+

One thing I've learned through this journey is to always ask and pursue what you think is right.

If the things in bold are incorporated into your LOR, then your LOR will be stronger than a couple of mine which I assume said "He got an A in my class and he's a nice guy."

Seek out the Professor and ask "Do you know me well enough to write a good LOR"?

anatomy - B
human osteology - C+

When you weigh out the scenarios, it's much better to ask someone who knows you enough to write specifics about you and your personal qualities, rather than someone who knows nothing about other than your percentage/grade in their class.

I'm pretty sure professors have to specify your ranking in their class (i.e. John Doe performed in the top 1/4 of 120 students in my class). So if it was a hard class in which few people earned high marks, there's a good chance you may have performed very well in respect to the rest of the class, which would also work to your benefit if schools see in your LOR that you ranked at the top of your class despite only earning a B/C+.

Just make sure your prof is willing to write you a strong LOR (emphasize the word strong). Depending on how comfortable you feel, you could ask him to mention something about your personal circumstances in the letter, just to vouch for your situation. All in all, I think it's perfectly fine to ask this professor.

Seek out the Professor and ask "Do you know me well enough to write a good LOR"?
This is the most important part of the question. Don't just ask if they will write you an LOR, ask if they can write you a good one. Any hesitation or pause should be taken into consideration.

I graduated in the spring of 2011 and requested a letter from my OChem II professor I took that semester at the beginning of this year and he was more than happy to do so. I did prepare for him a copy of my transcript, my personal statement, and a small picture as I lived out of state at the time. I would suggest putting together a small packet for them as I think it makes their job easier and looks more professional than someone who just asks for a letter.

your LOR will be stronger than a couple of mine which I assume said "He got an A in my class and he's a nice guy."
b8em6w