Recommendation letter from new gap year mentor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Clementine1863

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started working full-time at a new institution for my gap year in June, and I did not ask for a recommendation letter from my new mentor for my primary app (as I thought it wasn't enough time for him to get to know me/work together/write a whole letter).

Does it look like a red flag if I do not have a letter from him? For the secondaries that ask, I've been explaining my situation. I was planning to submit one as an update later in the cycle.

Is there a better way to handle this?

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

I think it wouldn't hurt if you send an update with that letter, as you were planning. True, you would only have had a few weeks/months working there, but the letter would provide evidence (coming directly from your mentor) that you are really working there during your gap year. Plus, your mentor can mention in the letter the project you will be working on, the goals you'll be working toward, and how you've been performing so far.

If you check the admission FAQs of WashU's MSTP website under the "How do I apply?" tab (3rd paragraph), it says that "Individuals who are carrying out research in a new lab the summer they apply must have a letter of recommendation from that mentor." Medical Scientist Training Program

Obviously, this is one program of many, but you could assume that some other programs may have the same or similar expectations regarding rec letters.

Reactions: 1 user
Awesome, thank you @evasive fish!! I just asked my new PI for the recommendation letter. I also called the WashU office and they said I could submit it via email with my application. I'll probably reach out to other schools on their policies about this also.

Reactions: 1 user