This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kobethegoat24

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So as the title says, I asked my professor for a recommendation letter but she says she wants to read my personal statement. The thing is I haven't written my personal statement yet because I dont plan on applying to dental school until June. I haven't shadowed a dentist yet and I only came up with the decision to become a dentist recently after a lot of research. Now I am not sure what to write in my personal statement. Can someone message me or reply to this to help me write this PS? Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

You wanna tell your story on why you decided to choose dentistry as your career. What made you recently want to pursue this profession? Write a rough draft that would give her a general idea on why you want to become a dentist. Since you're going to be applying next cycle, I would also start shadowing a dentist ASAP. That way, you get more exposure to this field, and you can see for yourself if this career is the right fit for you.

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest you register at interfolio; this website is a gem. It stores all the LORs and you can upload it next year or the other year.
So, ask as many professors as you can, and then send an invitation from the website, where it stores the LORS there until you need them. Then you deliver them next year to your dental application website.
Price is 50 dollar a year for deliveries!
Totally worth it!

They also make sure that your recommender has written your name correctly, and used a Letterhead and also a hand-written signature. Also, of course, the LORs through that website is confidential.

So as the title says, I asked my professor for a recommendation letter but she says she wants to read my personal statement. The thing is I haven't written my personal statement yet because I dont plan on applying to dental school until June. I haven't shadowed a dentist yet and I only came up with the decision to become a dentist recently after a lot of research. Now I am not sure what to write in my personal statement. Can someone message me or reply to this to help me write this PS? Thank you

In your personal statement, you write what made you interested in the profession. I wrote a rough draft of my PS for my professors to read. As long as you explain to them that it is not the final draft, that is fine. I would also shadow as soon as possible. Look at your schedule and find a 3-hour break that you can use to shadow. I shadowed every Thursday in the late afternoon because that was the only free time that I had during the week. If you know a dentist, ask them if you can watch what they do. If you don’t, call dental offices. I know that can be awkward but you gotta do what you gotta do. I had to call three or more offices before a dentist finally said yes. Someone will say yes.