recommendation letter (please read)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zahra 86

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
I was shadowing for a dentist last year. I asked her to write a rec letter for me but she told me to write it and then she will assign it. I was wondering if I can have some dental sample letters. I searched for it online but I could not find any.
I would appreciate your help

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The best thing to do is write about your personality, how many hours you have done or how long, how motivated you are, what you may contribuate to the field, and how you be the best canidate. Good luck! Hope that shed some light

Last edited:
Put yourself in your dentists shoes, he/she cant write about your clinical skills but she can write about your personality, work ethic, and attitude as well as how youd make a great dentist etc. Dont worry about making yourself look too good, because its your dentist writing this officially so whaever they were to say about you a dental school, would believe.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi
I was shadowing for a dentist last year. I asked her to write a rec letter for me but she told me to write it and then she will assign it. I was wondering if I can have some dental sample letters. I searched for it online but I could not find any.
I would appreciate your help

thanks

Obviously, this is a less than ideal situation. The reason you probably can't find any is because letters are supposed to be done confidentially. It totally defeats the purpose of a LOE if a student writes it for themselves. Also, I think it's a little dishonest. I don't mean to sound negative, but why don't you try and find someone that cares enough about you to write the letter for you? Chances are that you'll be better off than if you end up having to write it yourself.

I assume you this letter would be for next year's cycle... if that's the case, then you have time to get to know another dentist who could write a letter for you. It's tough making new connections, but the ability to network with other professionals is a valuable tool in life. If you explain that you were expecting someone else to write it, but that you are uncomfortable with their suggestion for you to write it yourself, I feel like most dentists would allow you the time to observe and then write you a letter. In addition, you'll get more observation experience out of the deal, which can't hurt you in the application process!

Obviously, this is a less than ideal situation. The reason you probably can't find any is because letters are supposed to be done confidentially. It totally defeats the purpose of a LOE if a student writes it for themselves. Also, I think it's a little dishonest. I don't mean to sound negative, but why don't you try and find someone that cares enough about you to write the letter for you? Chances are that you'll be better off than if you end up having to write it yourself.

I couldnt agree more than that. Good point. However, there are always different circumstances. What if the OP dentist is from another country where english is not her first language? The dentist may be worried that she may not write a great LOE, so she asked the OP to write it for her. I dont think its fair to say to go look for someone who cares enough for you. However, if the dentist is completely capable and does tell the OP to write it, then I would bring this argument!

I couldnt agree more than that. Good point. However, there are always different circumstances. What if the OP dentist is from another country where english is not her first language? The dentist may be worried that she may not write a great LOE, so she asked the OP to write it for her. I dont think its fair to say to go look for someone who cares enough for you. However, if the dentist is completely capable and does tell the OP to write it, then I would bring this argument!

You are right, I didn't consider that possibility! However, I feel that a motivated dentist, even if english wasn't their first language, could come up with a way to make a great letter. Perhaps they could ask their office manager, or another dentist to take a look at it and offer suggestions to increase flow and correct improper usage. Either way, I'm not here to judge. Sorry if the first post was a little harsh.

The best advice I can give would be to not write the letter yourself.

Made my day.

You need to "brainstorm" great things about yourself. Then you need to put these in a logical letter about yourself. Your dentist obviously thinks alot of you to allow you to do this so take advantage of it. It needs to be professional yet highlight traits of yours that dental schools look for. Maturity, intellect, artistic ability, motivation, and last but not least a great chairside personality. Only put down what is true, the school will test you on these in your interview and know if they are wrong. Honesty is always the best policy, this is especially true with dental apps. Good luck and have fun with it. If you use a template then you are going to look like a "template" applicant.

Hey I sent you a message about this, I have one you can edit and use.

I think you should be REALLY careful and maybe reconsider writing your own letter...my dentist also asked me to write my own and I told him I did not feel comfortable doing that and that I could find a letter from someone else if he did not want to/have the time to and he did end up writing mine. I have heard terrible stories about schools declining people or even taking back acceptances after they found out that students wrote their own letters because they were so mad about dishonesty and the fact that we sign saying we have not read them or had access to them...personally I think you should call schools and ask their opinion because I think you are taking a risk that you would later regret if schools did find out...just my thought though!

PS..about if the person writing the letter doesn't have english as their first language..well I also had this happen with one of my professors and in this case then they usually have another professor or someone else help them write the letter so it sounds coherent and still had the main ideas that they want to get across...way better idea than writing your own letter in my opinion! hope this helps :)

Start the letter off like this-

"(Your name here), is a freaken dental GOD. I let him preform all procedures and he succesfully ran my practice himself for 2 months. He is the smartest perosn I've ever met,ever,ever"

Sign it in blood.

the dentist who wrote my letter told me the same thing but I felt that was kind of cheating. I told him I did not want to take any chances and he ended up writing it for me. Good luck to you.

Hi Guys,
My dentist told me to write the recommendation letter she will review and add here and there!!! I have no clue how to write does anyone have a sample I have look at any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot