Recommendation Letters as a Reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anonymous01

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have any experience with using the same letters again when a re-applicant? I took a gap year while applying for the ongoing cycle, shadowing a doctor, and he gave me a letter, but I won't have any new letters for the next cycle.

Do you just contact your letter writers and ask them to change the date?

**This presumes there was nothing negative in your letters, of course...which, by the way, will schools tell me if I ask them if there was any such indication in my letters?

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools may tell you that one letter or another was of lesser quality. What you should do is contact the previous letter writers, make sure they're on board with updating your letter, and tell them about the things you've done to improve yourself.

As always, the sooner the better. I'm about to do this myself.

Some schools keep letters. I know that one letter that I had one year showed up the next year, even though I did not submit it the second time. The only thing that particular school requested was a NEW science teacher letter for the second year.

Good luck!

dsoz

Many schools will say how long ago they will accept letters from. I think most of mine said they must be dated within the past 2 years. So you should be fine to do this, mostly.