recommendation letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BornToLead

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been trying to understand how the recommendation letter thing works by trying to search Threads, but I havent really been able to get much info. Here is what I have gleaned so far.
So when filling out the AAMCAS application each person gets an ID. Your LOR must have that ID and the person who is writing the LOR is to directly submit the letter to the AAMCAS. The AAMCAS application holds up to 10 LORS.

So my question is that if in the middle of my college life I find a professor/doctor who I think can write me a good LOR, how can I ask him to write me one, because apparently the letter must have the ID, and I wont have the ID until I'm filling out my application?

Secondly, lets assume that I have put up to 5 LORS on my application. Can all schools see them or do I get to decide who sees what.

Thirdly, (this might sound stupid), but I was wondering that the recommendation letters I have, can be used for as many schools I want, right?

Members don't see this ad.

I would like some clarity on this as well. Who can write LORs? I am sure I could get a great one from the director (non-MD) of the clinic I work for. Also, are there resources for people who may have never written a LOR?

So my question is that if in the middle of my college life I find a professor/doctor who I think can write me a good LOR, how can I ask him to write me one, because apparently the letter must have the ID, and I wont have the ID until I'm filling out my application?

Secondly, lets assume that I have put up to 5 LORS on my application. Can all schools see them or do I get to decide who sees what.

Thirdly, (this might sound stupid), but I was wondering that the recommendation letters I have, can be used for as many schools I want, right?

You would first ask your letter writer if they felt comfortable writing a letter, and when they say yes, then you fill out the information, get that letter ID number would, and relay their ID number and information to you. There's directions on the letter request form on how they can register an account to add your letter. You can go back into your AMCAS app and add additional letter even after you've submitted.

For each individual school, you have to assign the letters when applying. If you have 6 letters of rec uploaded, but you know school X wants 2 science letters + 1 non-science, while school Y requires a PI letter, only 1 science, and a leadership, you can pick and choose your essays to fulfill the requirements of each school.

General rule of thumb is 2 science professors, 1 non-science, and 1 "leadership" or EC (research, clinic, etc), the rest can be whatever you want as long as they aren't your family or significant other. Some schools like U of Arizona now require a letter of req from a physician you shadowed, or someone who can attest to your "clinical experiences." But yes, once the letter is uploaded, you can add them to every single school you're applying to.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would like some clarity on this as well. Who can write LORs? I am sure I could get a great one from the director (non-MD) of the clinic I work for. Also, are there resources for people who may have never written a LOR?

(refer to my last message for the answer to your first question)

For people who've never written a letter of rec, you can provide them with your resume/CV, your transcript, personal statement, and any additional info you'd want them to be aware of while working on your letter. There's no "perfect formula," but you can pretty much google samples and tips on what to make sure to ask your letter writer to focus on/include in yours.

Also look through the thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=13777357 for some tips and other pointers :D

You would first ask your letter writer if they felt comfortable writing a letter, and when they say yes, then you fill out the information, get that letter ID number would, and relay their ID number and information to you. There's directions on the letter request form on how they can register an account to add your letter. You can go back into your AMCAS app and add additional letter even after you've submitted.

For each individual school, you have to assign the letters when applying. If you have 6 letters of rec uploaded, but you know school X wants 2 science letters + 1 non-science, while school Y requires a PI letter, only 1 science, and a leadership, you can pick and choose your essays to fulfill the requirements of each school.

General rule of thumb is 2 science professors, 1 non-science, and 1 "leadership" or EC (research, clinic, etc), the rest can be whatever you want as long as they aren't your family or significant other. Some schools like U of Arizona now require a letter of req from a physician you shadowed, or someone who can attest to your "clinical experiences." But yes, once the letter is uploaded, you can add them to every single school you're applying to.

Ahhhh okay...that helps clear away some confusion. Thanks!
But I haven't registered for an account yet, because I will be applying in 2015. If I make an account right now, will they give me my ID number?

Ahhhh okay...that helps clear away some confusion. Thanks!
But I haven't registered for an account yet, because I will be applying in 2015. If I make an account right now, will they give me my ID number?

No, application for next cycle opens up around May, I believe. You should look into using interfolio in the mean time (I'm not familiar with it so I can't offer tips there). Alternately, you can ask them in advance if they would feel confortable writing a lor and follow up later when it's closer to march/april