Recommendation Letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pebbs

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've got a few questions about the recommendation letters:

1) Is there a form that we should be giving to evaluators to fill out in addition to writing the letter?

2) Can we send the three recommendation letters along with our application, or should they be sent separately by each respective evaluator?

Thanks guys! :wink:

Members don't see this ad.

Please help. Thanks. :confused:

Hi Pebbs,

There is no form to give them, which would be a lot easier on them. I just told my references to write a letter stating what relationship they had with me or how they knew me, what they thought my abilities to make a good dentist were, and to back those up. They understood that fine.

It's better if you send the letters with your application. Just make sure to ask your profs to put them on official letterhead and seal them in envelopes and sign across the flap. That way, AADSAS knows it's confidential. Also, make sure your profs have the letter on file, because I had to send AADSAS a letter a second time because they didn't have it! AADSAS tends to lose things very easily, and the staff there is pretty much incompetent!

Good luck,

Bucky :clap: :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Pebbs,

In addition to what Bucky had already mentioned, I would like to add that some dental schools do have "EVALUATION/RECOMMENDATION" forms. For instance, Nova Southeastern University uses these forms in leu to actual letters! In another words, you have the option of requesting a letter of recommendation from a professor OR you can have them fill out this "form". In most cases, the professor will just do both and send it in for you. Remember, I know for fact that Nova has this "form", but I'm sure that some (not many) other dental schools do as well. Good luck. :cool:

Hey guys,
I was just wondering if ADSAAS send's all of your recommendation letters without any extra fees or does it cost money to have the letters sent to the dental schools?? Also, is there a limit on how many letters you can have sent? At my current undergrad school, they charge a fee for every school you want your letters sent to. I'm already gonna spend way too much money on the application process, so I could use a break any chance I get. I would appreciate it if I could get input ASAP, I have to tell my profs where to send their letters soon. :confused:

Thanks soooo much you guys! next step is to ask for those recs...

Candy of my eye,

AADSAS will not charge you 'additional' fee to photocopy and send your letters of recommendation to dental schools! This service is included in the fee that you are already paying when applying to dental schools with AADSAS. As far as number of letters to send in, AADSAS will photocopy as many as you send in and send them to the dental schools. Remember, dental schools usually requires 3 letters of rec. (2 science profs. and 1 non-science profs. generally speaking).

Also, for those of you applying for 2003, when you ask for your letters of rec. from professors, there are a number of ways that you can get the letters to AADSAS.

1) Ask your professor to send it in when (s)he is done with it

2) Ask your professor to give it to you in a SEALED and SIGNED school envelope so you can send it in with all your other stuff (Official Transcripts, Registration sheet, etc.)

I prefer option two for couple of reasons. First, when you ask the professors to hand you the letter once (s)he is done with it, they tend to write the letter sooner and usually they will also ask you "When do you needed by?" Secondly, if you send it in to AADSAS yourself instead of professors themselves doing it, you'll know that when you sent it in and when AADSAS should receive it. You'll be better informed on your application status and can avoid all them phone calls to the professors and AADSAS.

Just something to think about. :cool: