Recommendation Writer Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PB&Jam

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, my mother works as a pharmacist and pharmacy manager, and she has a pre-medical student working for her. This student is applying this cycle, and apparently asked my mom for a letter of recommendation. She immediately called me and asked for my advice on what she needs to write and what it entails, so I told her that LOR writers generally speak to the applicant's qualities and how these would make them a good candidate for medical school and for being a doctor. She then revealed that she thinks this girl will make a terrible doctor, and that she would have absolutely nothing good to say in a LOR. She wants my advice on whether to write a truthful (bad) letter, write a very generic letter, or tell the girl she can't write the LOR at all. What advice should I give my mom in this scenario? As an applicant myself, I think if someone I asked to write a LOR felt this way about me, I would prefer the last option.

Members don't see this ad.

I think writing a bad letter is just mean. If it were me, I would gently tell her that I can't write a favorable letter and she should ask someone that can speak better of her abilities/traits.

Reactions: 1 user
she should tell her that she cant write a good one for her