Recommended Pain Handbooks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ligament

Interventional Pain Management
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

This might be sticky material.

I thought we could start a list of good pain management handbooks here for easy reference. Please list the book, and a quick review. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Ligament said:
Hello,

This might be sticky material.

I thought we could start a list of good pain management handbooks here for easy reference. Please list the book, and a quick review. Thanks.

I think the Carol Warfield Book on the textbook of pain (approx. 900 pages) seems pretty comprehensive for the year. In terms of the boards, I've heard pain management secrets is pretty good. I've heard the Raj purple book is loaded with errors, but I just recieved it and I'll give you an update.

Fenton's Image Guided Spinal Interventions

-great images, how-to section for dictations

Rathmell's Atlas of Image-Guided Regional Anesthesia and Pain medicine

-brand new, also with nice images, covers some procedures not discussed in Fenton.

I have also heard good things about the handbook companion to Wall and Melzack's Textbook of Pain.

Members don't see this ad :)
singarac said:
I think the Carol Warfield Book on the textbook of pain (approx. 900 pages) seems pretty comprehensive for the year. In terms of the boards, I've heard pain management secrets is pretty good. I've heard the Raj purple book is loaded with errors, but I just recieved it and I'll give you an update.

Hey Singarac,
The Raj book is pretty good. I also heard "Pain Medicne & Management, Just the facts" by mark wallace is good. As far as books for procedures, the closest to a comprehensive book that i've found is the Practice Guidelines published by ISIS. Later man ;)

aggarwal said:
Hey Singarac,
The Raj book is pretty good. I also heard "Pain Medicne & Management, Just the facts" by mark wallace is good. As far as books for procedures, the closest to a comprehensive book that i've found is the Practice Guidelines published by ISIS. Later man ;)

Hey Agarwal and Singarc...

You both must be excited that you are more than halfway done with Fellowship!!! Nothings changed down here--> Starting to get senioritis and anxiously awaiting fellowship to start.

I have the Warfield book and Wallace book--> Warfield's book is great to have even during PM&R residency (if you are interested in pain) and it is probably an easier read than the Bonica book.

The Wallace book is in outline format. Good guide to highlight the important concepts and the MUST KNOW, but there really are not any details. You will need to supplement a lot of it with textbooks and journals.

I also have spine secrets... This is a great book if you like the secrets format. It really comes in handy while in PM&R residency.

Ive heard the latest edition of Raj's book is not as good as the previous. Ive heard this on the interview trail. The recommendation is to try and get the previous edition.

So, what do you guys think of the Bonica book??? It looks overwhelming? What about pain secrets???

It seems like you both are doing well!!! Yup --> I've been thinking ahead as usual!!! Gotta pass the PM&R boards first to follow in the footsteps of your class!!!

B.B.

Fenton is an outstanding book. You can get more reviews on Amazon.

T

Any thoughts on Wall and Melzack's Textbook of Pain??