Reconsidering Life Decisions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1023831

I’m really rethinking things. I didn’t get in this cycle. But I majored in CS and have a job offer in a healthcare tech company.

And I realized that I think much more like like an engineer than a physician. I think about improving systems and efficiency.

When I was shadowing, I remembered paying much more attention to how doctors would inefficiently make call schedules by hand rather than a computer program. I wanna make programs that docs can use to automatically make call schedules.

I remember seeing how much time would be spent charting. I wanna design NLP for automated scribing and charting.

I remembered noticing how much time would be spent clicking through unintuitive EHR rather than talking to the patient. I wanna design elegant and intuitive EHR, catered for each speciality’s needs.

I remember noticing how MRI would never be available. I wanna design faster MR Imaging for faster scans.

I remember seeing how radiologists would always be backlogged with scans to read. I wanna design computer vision algorithms so that radiologists have lighter case loads.

I remember seeing how a screw would be too big, so the surgeon would have to shave off more bone to get the screw to fit. And I wanna design more precise biomaterials.

I remember thinking about how branded drugs cost more and I wanted to design cheaper generics using simple techniques I’d learnt in higher level ochem (which I loved).

I remember seeing how many hospitals in the developing world don’t have basics like ultrasound. And I wanna build cheap, affordable ultrasound and never patent it so I can keep the design open-source. That way every hospital can cheaply invest in ultrasound.

In short, I didn’t just notice the doctor-patient interaction.

Don’t get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed listening to people’s stories and enjoyed the human connection.

BUT…I couldn’t help but also notice all the design flaws in the system. I just couldn’t help but think how much better it would be if we could fix all the design flaws. And I can’t get that out of my head.

The problem is that it’s seems like it is really hard to tackle these problems without actually working in a clinical setting and seeing the problems first-hand. I can’t design solutions as an engineer without seeing the problems as a doctor.

Is it still right that I wanna go to medical school? Not for the purpose of being a full-time clinician, but for the purpose of designing solutions in healthcare?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can absolutely do whatever you want to do. But it seems your time would be spent better elsewhere with your specific aspirations. I think these are all excellent ideas!

Reactions: 2 users
Is it still right that I wanna go to medical school? Not for the purpose of being a full-time clinician, but for the purpose of designing solutions in healthcare?
I would recommend against pursuing med school for this reason. As an engineer, you can develop these solutions in consultation with clinicians. There's no need for you to spend 7+ years and a few hundred thousand dollars to gain this knowledge first hand, especially when any knowledge gained will be specialty specific. Just my thoughts and best of luck.

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would recommend against pursuing med school for this reason. As an engineer, you can develop these solutions in consultation with clinicians. There's no need for you to spend 7+ years and a few hundred thousand dollars to gain this knowledge first hand, especially when any knowledge gained will be specialty specific. Just my thoughts and best of luck.
I just worry that I will end up making a ****ty design without actually seeing things firsthand from a clinical perspective. Like how EHR now is really bad because it’s developed by a bunch of engineers in an office who’ve never actually tried using it in while talking to a patient.

It helps to have stakeholders in the room. You get that. You don't need seven more years of education and a few hundred thousand in debt to become a stakeholder and then work as an engineer. Be an engineer who has empathy for the end users and listens to them.

Reactions: 6 users
I just worry that I will end up making a ****ty design without actually seeing things firsthand from a clinical perspective. Like how EHR now is really bad because it’s developed by a bunch of engineers in an office who’ve never actually tried using it in while talking to a patient.
I'm fairly certain there is some level of field testing before an EHR change launched.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
EHR is not developed this way, and not all EHR's are created equally. I agree with the above. You do not need to go to medical school in order to help improve patient care DELIVERY.

Reactions: 4 users
I’m really rethinking things. I didn’t get in this cycle. But I majored in CS and have a job offer in a healthcare tech company.

And I realized that I think much more like like an engineer than a physician. I think about improving systems and efficiency.

When I was shadowing, I remembered paying much more attention to how doctors would inefficiently make call schedules by hand rather than a computer program. I wanna make programs that docs can use to automatically make call schedules.

I remember seeing how much time would be spent charting. I wanna design NLP for automated scribing and charting.

I remembered noticing how much time would be spent clicking through unintuitive EHR rather than talking to the patient. I wanna design elegant and intuitive EHR, catered for each speciality’s needs.

I remember noticing how MRI would never be available. I wanna design faster MR Imaging for faster scans.

I remember seeing how radiologists would always be backlogged with scans to read. I wanna design computer vision algorithms so that radiologists have lighter case loads.

I remember seeing how a screw would be too big, so the surgeon would have to shave off more bone to get the screw to fit. And I wanna design more precise biomaterials.

I remember thinking about how branded drugs cost more and I wanted to design cheaper generics using simple techniques I’d learnt in higher level ochem (which I loved).

I remember seeing how many hospitals in the developing world don’t have basics like ultrasound. And I wanna build cheap, affordable ultrasound and never patent it so I can keep the design open-source. That way every hospital can cheaply invest in ultrasound.

In short, I didn’t just notice the doctor-patient interaction. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to people’s stories and enjoyed the human connection. BUT…I couldn’t help but notice also the design flaws in the system. I just couldn’t help but think how much better it would be if we could fix all the design flaws.

The problem is that it’s seems like it is really hard to tackle these problems without actually working in a clinical setting and seeing the problems first-hand. I can’t design solutions as an engineer without seeing the problems as a doctor.

I wonder how much of this is disappointment that you didn't get in the first time you applied. I was unsuccessful last cycle and was not going to reapply and wanted to find a career to move on with my life. I thought about my kid and basically telling him that I gave up on my dreams when he's older and the impact that could have on his decisions in life and that gave me the courage to swallow my pride and try again. I got in this cycle so it was worth it.

If a part of you is still wanting to try again I encourage you to do so. That means that despite the rejection and hurt feelings this is still something you want to do. Do you know what kept you from getting IIs? If it's something like your essays or the formating of your application ask people on here for help.

While the analogy referred is not related to medical school admissions, I do refer to the Garth Brooks song "Unanswered Prayers" a few times. Redirection is not defeat.

Reactions: 3 users
Go work at the healthcare tech company for a couple of years. You'll learn a lot, probably a lot more than you think. After 2 years if you still unsatisfied, then reconsider a career in medicine. Plenty of doctors have a background as engineers.

Reactions: 3 users
Go work at the healthcare tech company for a couple of years. You'll learn a lot, probably a lot more than you think. After 2 years if you still unsatisfied, then reconsider a career in medicine. Plenty of doctors have a background as engineers.
hopefully you'll also get to see what it takes to evolve from code monkey to project lead where you can propose desigining your NLP-compatible dictation devices or implement a Deep Rad CNNs in a clinic.

I naively think I can be a doc who sees an automatable inefficiency and codes up short python fix, but the emphasis is still on being a doc. Also, some of those things you want to do require highly advanced training/ a PhD. Anyone can import tensorflow as wtf but not many people can look at the project as a whole and diagnose a bad AUC.