Recovering from a bad freshmen year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Justins

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
My Freshmen year gpa is a lousy 3.3 and I withdrew from my second semester completely (for medical reasons). So, not only do I have a bad gpa, but I have 6 Ws too. I'm taking courses this summer at a community college so I can catch up with my peers. I have all my books for next year and have begun to study them for next semester.
I know I have to do exceptionally well to make up for the destruction.
I'm trying to get into the University of Kentucky COM in the 2012 cycle.
Have I done irrepairable damamge? Any thoughts?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'd say the damage is far from irreparable. People have been in much worse situations and recovered. Just focus from here on out and you will be fine.

Hey,
Have I done irrepairable damamge? Any thoughts?
Thanks

No way!

3.3 is not that bad. You still have three more years left. Admissions committee understand that freshman year can be a rough transition for students and especially with a medical condition, you have a good excuse. Just make sure, however, to do well from now on. Like the other poster said, many people screw up early on only to succeed their later years. Just try to make up it up by having a strong overall GPA. With a 3.3, you'll be okay. As long as you have a strong upward trend, that's what matters. It's worse to do well in the beginning and then mess up in undergrad. That looks bad because they adcom will ask themselves, "okay, he's got potential, so why did he screw up" versus if you did bad your freshman year, they'll say "okay, it seems like he was adjusting, but once he did, he did very well". you get my drift?

so don't worry, just get yourself together and keep moving forward. you're okay. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
you're done. DO or carib for you....

Nah.. jk..

3.3 is not even bad if you're planning to bring it up with hard work. u can easily bring it up to a 3.6 or 3.7. But I do understand easier said than done, but u can do it!

i've known many who have done it.

I see your point. Thanks for the input. I guess I just have to buckle down 100% now. There's no more room for error. I'm just wondering about the extent of damage the Ws will do.

Last edited: