Redemption

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NervousRex

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 19 and just finished my sophomore year at NYU.

I have a 3.27 cumulative GPA, and an even lower science GPA (having taken Gen. Chem, Gen. Bio, Ochem, and Calc I)

I am in no shape to apply to medical school. It is my own fault; I did not take it seriously enough, until recently. However (despite advisors attempts) I am not going to settle for anything less than a MD.

I do not believe I have the financial means to enroll in a post-bac program, so I am wondering what would be the best course of action at this point?

(a) Re-take the science courses I did poorly in, as I am confident I can get As in the now (I have 22 free credits by the time I finish my major/basic pre-med reqs) or,

(b) Take upper-level science courses, and hopefully do well in those.

I know I am a pretty hopeless case right now, but I can only improve from here, and I will do whatever it takes to get me to where I need to be.

Members don't see this ad.

I am 19 and just finished my sophomore year at NYU.

I have a 3.27 cumulative GPA, and an even lower science GPA (having taken Gen. Chem, Gen. Bio, Ochem, and Calc I)

I am in no shape to apply to medical school. It is my own fault; I did not take it seriously enough, until recently. However (despite advisors attempts) I am not going to settle for anything less than a MD.

I do not believe I have the financial means to enroll in a post-bac program, so I am wondering what would be the best course of action at this point?

(a) Re-take the science courses I did poorly in, as I am confident I can get As in the now (I have 22 free credits by the time I finish my major/basic pre-med reqs) or,

(b) Take upper-level science courses, and hopefully do well in those.

I know I am a pretty hopeless case right now, but I can only improve from here, and I will do whatever it takes to get me to where I need to be.

If you get straight As for the next two years, your cGPA should be about 3.6. Take enough upper-level Bio to raise your BCPM to as close to 3.61 (the average for acceptees) as you can. If you can do that and get a strong MCAT score, then stats-wise, you should be fine to get into an MD school.