Redoing work by other associates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ToothFairy325

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to get some thoughts on this. I’ve been an associate at my current office for 3 years (pedo mostly) and there seems to be a good amount of turnover of doctors. (I’ve worked with a total of 10 associates.) some of their work hasn’t been too great. Usually we just have a policy of redoing our own work if something were to fail or be dislodged due to lack of retention. Nothing in my contract regarding needing to redo another associate’s work, but after these associates move onto a new practice, there is no one but the current doctors to perform the redo. You can’t just leave recurrent decay in a child’s mouth so I usually get stuck fixing it. How do I go about this with current owners? I redo work by previous dentists sometimes twice per day- usually class 2’s that were rushed and fall out, SSC’s that come off, recurrent decay or inadequate prep, etc. Anyone have a clause that prevents them from having to redo previous associates’ work? Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Whatever answer you get from your boss should tell you a lot about the practice you work for. The "practice" owner should be responsible for all of it's past and present "employee's" work. I replaced a long term Orthodontist in a Corp. office. Trust me. I am fixing a lot of poor work. I don't have a choice. I don't get any production credit for fixing these ortho problems. If anything ... it counts against my numbers. But .... it comes with the territory. Gotta lead with your ethics .... not $$$$.

Reactions: 1 user
Just wanted to get some thoughts on this. I’ve been an associate at my current office for 3 years (pedo mostly) and there seems to be a good amount of turnover of doctors. (I’ve worked with a total of 10 associates.) some of their work hasn’t been too great. Usually we just have a policy of redoing our own work if something were to fail or be dislodged due to lack of retention. Nothing in my contract regarding needing to redo another associate’s work, but after these associates move onto a new practice, there is no one but the current doctors to perform the redo. You can’t just leave recurrent decay in a child’s mouth so I usually get stuck fixing it. How do I go about this with current owners? I redo work by previous dentists sometimes twice per day- usually class 2’s that were rushed and fall out, SSC’s that come off, recurrent decay or inadequate prep, etc. Anyone have a clause that prevents them from having to redo previous associates’ work? Thanks!!

I was paid to redo work. It comes with the territory of being the practice owner boss in my opinion. Many bosses won't compensate for re-dos and thats why you have a revolving door of associates. Pay fair, and pay associate for the work provided and the associate will be fair right back.