Reducing agent question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JoshuaSeid94

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am currently reviewing some organic chemistry for the DAT and have come across a problem regarding reducing agents. I am stuck on a reaction regarding the reducing agent PCC. The starting molecule is CH3CH2CH2CH2CH2OH (5 carbon alcohol) and it is reduced using PCC and CH2Cl. The answer I have down is CH2CH2CH2CH2CH2CHO (6 carbon aldehyde). This means that a 5 carbon alcohol was reduced into a 6 carbon aldehyde. This seems incorrect. Does the CH2Cl contribute another carbon to make it a 6 carbon molecule or is this answer incorrect? I would have thought that a 5 carbon alcohol would be reduced into a 5 carbon aldehyde when PCC and CH2Cl is used.
 
I am currently reviewing some organic chemistry for the DAT and have come across a problem regarding reducing agents. I am stuck on a reaction regarding the reducing agent PCC. The starting molecule is CH3CH2CH2CH2CH2OH (5 carbon alcohol) and it is reduced using PCC and CH2Cl. The answer I have down is CH2CH2CH2CH2CH2CHO (6 carbon aldehyde). This means that a 5 carbon alcohol was reduced into a 6 carbon aldehyde. This seems incorrect. Does the CH2Cl contribute another carbon to make it a 6 carbon molecule or is this answer incorrect? I would have thought that a 5 carbon alcohol would be reduced into a 5 carbon aldehyde when PCC and CH2Cl is used.
Indeed. A 5 carbon primary alcohol is oxidized into a 5 carbon aldeyde when PCC oxidation is employed. . The carbon skeleton does NOT increase. The CH2Cl2 is merely the solvent.

Hope this helps..

Dr. Romano