reducing agent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joonkimdds

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
MnO4^- + I^- --> Mn^2+ + I

From the above equation, we can say either Mn is reduced or MnO4^- is reduced but when we are talking about oxidizing agent, it's the whole MnO4^- compound, and it's wrong to say Mn is an oxidizing agent.
(Chad said so)

In destroyer, 2AgNo3 --> 2Ag,
I understand that Ag+ is reduced but it also says Ag+ is an oxidizing agent.
Isn't it correct to say AgNO3 is the oxidizing agent, not Ag+?

Members don't see this ad.

The net reaction could be something like

Ag+ + Cu => Cu+ + Ag

where the reactant is actually AgNO3 and the product is actually CuNO3

the nitrate ion doesn't change throughout the reaction. It's the Ag+ that is the actual oxidizing agent.

MnO4^- + I^- --> Mn^2+ + I

From the above equation, we can say either Mn is reduced or MnO4^- is reduced but when we are talking about oxidizing agent, it's the whole MnO4^- compound, and it's wrong to say Mn is an oxidizing agent.
(Chad said so)

In destroyer, 2AgNo3 --> 2Ag,
I understand that Ag+ is reduced but it also says Ag+ is an oxidizing agent.
Isn't it correct to say AgNO3 is the oxidizing agent, not Ag+?

When speaking of what is reduced in your first example, it's right to say MnO4- is reduced because the compound accepts some electrons. It's also okay to say Mn+7 is reduced because ultimately it's the Mn in the MnO4 molecule that takes the electrons, while the O-2 probably floats away without a change in oxidation state. Agents refer more to the physical reactant species, so it's most appropriate to say MnO4- acts as oxidizing agent, and not Mn+7 because there are no free Mn+7 ions floating around in solution.

The others explained the second example quite well. In solution it's Ag+ that's the free, reacting species, so it is reduced and acts as the oxidizing agent.