Redundant I know but still...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

student-2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone-
I am a third year in Sackler medical school of Tel-Aviv university in Israel and I am towards my having to choose a residency and I would like to know my chances if any to get an ENT residency.
A little about me-
I went to Sackler out of choice (it was the only medical school I applied to) I really wanted to be in Israel.
I have an undergrad B.Sc from Hebrew University of Jerusalem.
I got a board score a little over 240 in step I and I plan on taking step II this summer.
I did a little bit above average I guess during my pre-clinical years (I don't know my class ranking) and during my clinical years so far I honored internal medicine and high passed the surgery clerkship. I recently finished my pediatric clerkship and I hope to at least high pass that as well.
As for research- I truly want to be a part of research and I would love to take part in projects however aside from some small projects that didn't really have to do with ENT I have very little to back up my claim that I am interested in academics. I love teaching and I volunteer to teach first years PBLs in physiology.
I have no publications which is a problem I know but with the whole picture should I be asking myself other things and what should I focus on?
Thanks for all your help

Members don't see this ad.

In terms of numbers, it sounds like you would certainly be reasonably competitive if you were a US grad. On the other hand, 251/270 ENT spots nationwide were filled by US grads this year, and overall there were 12.5 ranks/position offered (rough measure of "competitiveness"), which is in the same range as orthopedics, radiation oncology, and plastic surgery. I tried to attach the numbers so you can see for yourself.

Several of the FMGs who were interviewing on the trail or who were current residents had done at least one year of research in a US ENT department, so you may want to consider doing that after graduation.

Attachments

• advancedata2007.pdf
    46.1 KB · Views: 273
Thanks chirurgino. It's definitely something I would consider.
Let me ask you something else (or anyones else can reply as well of course), what about going to a preliminary year or starting residency in another field and perhaps from there trying to go to ent after a year of internship in general surgery or even a pediatric field. Maybe try to get some research during that time as well.
Also just a frame of reference- what's more competitive- ortho or ent (I am asking this mainly because recently my school has been able to get into ortho programs as well.
Thanks again

Members don't see this ad :)
I would not do a prelim year in general surgery and try and match into ENT as a pgy-2. You are depending on someone dropping out after the intern year or a new spot opening. This is just a pure gamble in my opinion. If you mean doing a prelim year and then trying to get into a pgy-1 ENT program that might be more doable. You should definitely do this in a general surgery prelim year and not in peds. However, I think your best bet would be to do hard core research in a department for a year. I would pick the brains of IMG's who did this this year and see how they faired. Good luck.

Just wanted to thank you guys for your advice, I may ask more in the future.