Referees

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

L.M

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying through OMSAS, but opinions in general is great. I was just wondering if the med schools would look down on high school teachers as referees. I have a university prof as a referee already secured, but I feel high school teachers see students in a different capacity than profs and a previous reference letter they wrote for me a few years back was amazing. I was wondering if its okay to ask them too.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying through OMSAS, but opinions in general is great. I was just wondering if the med schools would look down on high school teachers as referees. I have a university prof as a referee already secured, but I feel high school teachers see students in a different capacity than profs and a previous reference letter they wrote for me a few years back was amazing. I was wondering if its okay to ask them too.

It won't hurt, but unless you've kept in contact with them and remained close recently they're unlikely to carry much weight, if any.

Members don't see this ad :)

Nah, much more luck to be found on premed101.com , the Canadian forum here is especially dead.

As for the OP's question, I wouldn't if you can help it. As a general rule for your 3 LORs you want one academic (prof, PI), one from a volunteering-type activity that can speak to your interpersonal skills and compassion etc. etc., and one wild card.

Even if this is your 3rd letter, what can your high school teacher say about you? Anything in the academic sphere wouldn't carry much weight because it's from when you were 16-17 years old and they can hear about your capabilities as a student from someone who taught you in university which is much better. If it's not academic in nature, then you're better off with another letter from someone who has interacted with you during a volunteer or EC activity in undergrad. If your 3rd letter would otherwise be extremely generic (I'm Professor X and Jeff took my Physiology class and got an A+ he seems smart) then I'd go with the high school teacher, but if there's anyone else that could write a flattering letter I wouldn't risk it.

Reactions: 1 user
Nah, much more luck to be found on premed101.com , the Canadian forum here is especially dead.

As for the OP's question, I wouldn't if you can help it. As a general rule for your 3 LORs you want one academic (prof, PI), one from a volunteering-type activity that can speak to your interpersonal skills and compassion etc. etc., and one wild card.

Even if this is your 3rd letter, what can your high school teacher say about you? Anything in the academic sphere wouldn't carry much weight because it's from when you were 16-17 years old and they can hear about your capabilities as a student from someone who taught you in university which is much better. If it's not academic in nature, then you're better off with another letter from someone who has interacted with you during a volunteer or EC activity in undergrad. If your 3rd letter would otherwise be extremely generic (I'm Professor X and Jeff took my Physiology class and got an A+ he seems smart) then I'd go with the high school teacher, but if there's anyone else that could write a flattering letter I wouldn't risk it.
Thanks for keeping me in line @NotASerialKiller! :)

Is that a Canadian term for letter writer? I've honestly never heard that one.

I was entering the thread assuming the OP was talking about reffing youth soccer or something.

I was entering the thread assuming the OP was talking about reffing youth soccer or something.
I googled OMSAS and it took me to the Canadian application site... I assumed that is what OP was looking for.
I linked them to the Canadian forums haha

I initially thought that OP was asking about being a referee as an EC or something :rolleyes:

Yeah, OMSAS uses 'referees' as your letter writers (only 3) and 'verifiers' for activities.