Reference Letter

Discussion in 'Pre-Optometry' started by Oilersfan69, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Oilersfan69

2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    I was wondering how some people went about to acquire their reference letters from their profs? I dont know any profs personally and haven't done research with any. Do I jus set up a personal interview with them and they can jus ask me questions on why optometry and get to know me personally. Is that how some of you guys did it?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. IDoctor

2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    I did that for my physiology class because the course was about 500 students, the teacher could not get to know any student on a personal level, so he offered to setup an interview to get to know me better.
    However, I think if you are getting an A in a course (preferrable science) you should ask anyways. Some teacher prefer to know you a little better, but if you were lets say top 5% of their class it is usually not much of a problem.

Better to try and not get one, than not to try at all right?

4. optowoman

2+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    The way I got my letters was by taking a lot of science lab courses and going to professors' office hours. I don't know about your college but at my college the lab classes usually have a very small number of students not like lecture classes (300+ students) so the professors have a chance to really get to know you, especially your interests and aptitude. If your college lab courses are taught by TAs, then I would suggest taking advantage of office hours or ask lots of questions during or after class. Stand out from the rest.