Regarding "kickbacks" in exchange for food recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smilesoup

Tufts V15
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of vets receiving so-called "kickbacks" from food manufacturers in exchange for recommending their food? It makes my blood fairly boil to hear members of the general public make this claim so confidently. I personally have never, ever encountered such a practice, but before I start tearing my hair out and scaring away clients, I wanted to know if there is any factual basis at all behind these claims. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Like any business, veterinarians make a profit on items they stock. So, if they're recommending AND selling Innova, then they are making a profit on that item.

Some brand loyalty is probably built during vet school when vet students get free/discounted food from certain companies. But I like to think that educated professionals can make objective decisions, even when they appreciate feeding their pets on the cheap.

As far as I know, there are no unethical kickbacks going on...

Like any business, veterinarians make a profit on items they stock. So, if they're recommending AND selling Innova, then they are making a profit on that item.

Some brand loyalty is probably built during vet school when vet students get free/discounted food from certain companies. But I like to think that educated professionals can make objective decisions, even when they appreciate feeding their pets on the cheap.

As far as I know, there are no unethical kickbacks going on...

Oh, for sure! I am aware that vets make profits from their food sales by charging more than what the manufacturers sell them for. I was speaking more of the idea that company reps are somehow going around and offering vets loads of money, but only money that is contingent on the vets recommending their brand (as described in great detail to me by a pet store employee).

It... just doesn't make sense to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh. Definitely not then.

Well, at least never that I've heard of... I guess they wouldn't exactly be open about it ;)

Oh, for sure! I am aware that vets make profits from their food sales by charging more than what the manufacturers sell them for. I was speaking more of the idea that company reps are somehow going around and offering vets loads of money, but only money that is contingent on the vets recommending their brand (as described in great detail to me by a pet store employee).

It... just doesn't make sense to me.

I've never come across that.

What is up with pet store name tags that all of the sudden give peeps an iron-clad knowledge of all things nutrition, behavior, and veterinary related?

What is up with pet store name tags that all of the sudden give peeps an iron-clad knowledge of all things nutrition, behavior, and veterinary related?

They're magical. Better than a veterinary degree. Didnt you know? :laugh:

You know what's worth even more than either of those things? Owning an unaltered dog.

"But my breeder says..."

It's so true... I personally know one of these breeders who likes to share the golden knowledge that transpires from all her breeder friends. She likes to come up with "creative" solutions that are better than the vets'. I do commend her for generally taking the dogs in when they do need to be seen, but for other things :scared:.

I'm going to decline her as a client if I go into a practice nearby...

I was speaking more of the idea that company reps are somehow going around and offering vets loads of money, but only money that is contingent on the vets recommending their brand (as described in great detail to me by a pet store employee).

Nope, doesn't happen. It's unethical and, in some locations, illegal.

Having done 99% of the food ordering for a clinic for a few years, I can tell you, there was no money! If we ordered over X pounds we would get free shipping. And every once in a while, they'd throw in some free "sample sized" bags or "puppy packs" for our clients. But there was no money.